ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2012 LED DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 06:27 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFAN
Finding the 12 volt source is easy, what I'm asking is if anyone knows how to wire the actual LED light wires to the 12v. There are 4 wires coming out of the resistor box for the LEDs. The wires are as follows: red, black, yellow and white. I've tried using just the red and black but that doesn't light them up. At one point I had the white and yellow wired to the DRL and the LEDs worked. I have since reworked the headlights and needed to turn off the DRL so I need to find a way to rewire the LEDs to work independently of the DRL.
Seems strange you did not get a wiring diagram with the kit. Based on the wires you have the Red goes to batt. + and the Black to batt - . the Yellow goes to turn signal + and the White goes to low beam headlight +. This is so when you turn on the turn signal the LED goes out and when you turn on the headlights the LED goes on. If you want DRL you need to hook up the White wire to + 12V when ignition is turned on.
Old 03-28-16, 12:45 PM
KCFAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased some new DRL inserts and have the wiring diagram below. I cannot figure out how to wire them to come on independent of the headlights. I wired them red to positive, black to negative/ground but they do not light up. There is a white wire that supposed to go to the headlight but I want them to work without using the headlight wires. Does anyone have an idea of how to wire these to be on when the engine is on without using the low beam headlight wire?

Red positive 12v
Black negative/ ground
White?
Attached Thumbnails 2012 LED DRLs-image.jpeg  
Old 03-28-16, 01:46 PM
glostix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you need to plug them into the DRL/high-beam harness from the car. They are more towards the midline of the car than the low-beam bulb. I guess your kit would replace the 9005 DRL bulb (which also functions as high beam, so you'd lose that function)

Originally Posted by KCFAN
I purchased some new DRL inserts and have the wiring diagram below. I cannot figure out how to wire them to come on independent of the headlights. I wired them red to positive, black to negative/ground but they do not light up. There is a white wire that supposed to go to the headlight but I want them to work without using the headlight wires. Does anyone have an idea of how to wire these to be on when the engine is on without using the low beam headlight wire?

Red positive 12v
Black negative/ ground
White?
Old 03-28-16, 06:42 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

From what I see it looks like the white goes to the headlight switch so when you turn on the headlights the white wire gets +12V from the switch. If that's the case then all you need to do is hook the white wire to a +12V fuse that goes hot when you start the car.
Old 03-30-16, 08:24 PM
KCFAN
Driver School Candidate

I tried to hook the red to the + on the battery and the white to an Accessory fuse and that did not work. I'd like to hook it up so that when the car turns on those lights come on without the daytime running lights being involved in the circuit at all.
Old 04-15-16, 07:44 PM
VindiCated
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you figure this out yet? I would really like to see the outcome.
Old 04-19-16, 09:17 PM
VindiCated
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Splice the signal wire to the parking lights. So whenever you switch the headlight switch to the first position the LEDs will be on.
Old 05-31-16, 09:25 AM
KCFAN
Driver School Candidate

Default DRL voltage?

I was finally able to get the led inserts to light but they go into shutdown after a few minutes. I believe the will only work with the white wire connected to a low voltage source (i.e. DRL). I had hooked them up using red to positive 12v, black to ground, and white to 12v switched (lighter fuse). It worked but after about 3 to 5 minutes they shut down. Does anyone know what the low voltage is for the DRL? I can try a resistor to duplicate it.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 LED DRLs-image.jpeg  

Last edited by KCFAN; 05-31-16 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 06-21-16, 12:16 PM
KCFAN
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally got them working

As I have posted in past threads I was having a hard time getting the DRL inserts (added LED lights next to the fog lights) to work independent of the DRL headlights. I found the issue was that the controller that was included with the lights was looking for a low voltage signal from the DRL lights. I removed the controller from the equation and hooked the lights directly to ground and positive (wire routed from the lighter fuse) and they now work independent of the DRL lights. I also hooked up a rocker switch under the dash so I can easily turn off all of the new LED DRL lights that I have added (4 halos, 2 LED strip and 2 LED inserts). It was so easy that I neglected to think of bypassing the controller, lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 LED DRLs-drl.jpg