ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Changing my Oil Filter after 47,000 miles

Old 10-05-15, 08:54 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder what an oil test would show on the engine.

I just couldn't imagine doing that. I couldn't take the financial hit if something did go wrong from not changing the $10 filter.
Old 10-05-15, 10:09 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Not the worst case of being cheap (to be kind) that I've heard of.......about twenty years ago we had a clown at work (in the airline industry yet) that "claimed" that he had never changed the oil (or filter) since new with his car for over a 170,000 KMs (Canada) before he got rid of it. He just kept adding oil, and it did look (and sounded) like a real beater before it "disappeared". As someone mentioned above the 4000 mile oil change periodicity is the saving grace with the car in this post. Going by the supplied photos it is also a testament to the digital technology that allows these engines to run so efficiently that they produce very little soot or carbon/coke, some of which ends up in the oil. The ES 350's well designed engine intake and good air filter (and probably a relatively clean operating environment) helps as well. Computer controlled machining, robotic engine assembly and the better oils of today also help modern engines last WAY longer than the engines in the "old days". I do not understand why the poster gets under the car to change the oil, but will not take a few more minutes to replace the oil filter??
Old 10-17-15, 09:18 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine oil is much like your blood. As your blood circulates throughout your body it takes away carbon dioxide, urea, lactic acid, nitrogen, sulfates, and lots of other stuff to filters called the lungs and kidneys. As oil circulates throughout your engine it takes away dirt that makes it past the air filter (because no air filter is 100% efficient), unburned hydrocarbons that blow past the rings, and metal shavings among other things. Your body is able to excrete the poisons but your car can't. This is where you help it out by changing the oil and oil filter.

The 3,000 mile OCI (oil change interval) was "established" in 1964. But that was based on 1964 oil standards. Oils have changed a lot in 50 years. Back 10 years ago or so the OCI went to 5,000 miles. And a couple of years ago I went to a 10,000 mile OCI since both of my cars are WAY out of warranty. But I use synthetic oil and synthetic filters or the best filters I can find. I might even try pushing it to 12,000 mile OCI.

But I hear what you're saying. How many cars have I got rid of because of engine problems? None. It was because the vehicle was becoming a money pit of constant repairs. Today I worked on changing the brakes in my 2007 ES 350 for about 9 hours. That's because when I went to do the rear brakes the piston dust cover was torn on both back brakes. Then I had to drive an hour round trip to get the caliper rebuild kit. Then I had to figure out how to rebuild caliper. I started to bleed the brakes but there's so much air in the system now that I'm going to have to restart that tomorrow.

Maybe change the oil filter every other time you change the oil but please don't leave the new one in there for another 47,000 miles. These cartridge type filters really don't like the abuse that a spin on filter can take.
Old 10-19-15, 02:49 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cferriter
How much time should one estimate to do this job? A lot of stuff under to take off, or it pretty straight forward? I've watched some videos and have NEVER had an oil change done (i've always done my own), but just got an 07 ES350, this will be my first ES350 change.
This is very easy. There is nothing to removing the oil pan plug, draining the oil, replacing the plug, unscrewing the oil filter housing, wiping down the housing and replacing the filter element, screwing the housing back on, then adding 6.4 quarts of oil. You don't even have to raise the car if you don't want to.

I'd say it should take about a half hour, maybe a little longer if you're unsure of yourself.
Old 10-22-15, 12:57 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by r6dallas
The engine runs very smooth and has lots of power. I'm not advocating against oil filters this has been my experience with oil filters. I had a 97 f150 and I changed the filter twice and it had 300k with no issues. I sold it cause I needed a more efficient car. Other than speculation does anyone know of a engine dyeing because of not changing oil filters but changing the oil it self.
Interesting what you are stating and thanks for sharing filters pictures. I just take it for granted to always change the oil filter .. I don't think I will stop changing the oil filter .. but wow something to ponder
Old 10-22-15, 06:08 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Makes me feel better about using Fram filters. Not much other choice when you buy them at Walmart. But since I have Amazon Prime now, I'll probably step it up.
Old 10-28-15, 06:49 PM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Putting your children through school

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Makes me feel better about using Fram filters. Not much other choice when you buy them at Walmart. But since I have Amazon Prime now, I'll probably step it up.
My gosh folks .......... those OEM oil filters can be purchased at any Toyota Dealer for $5.41 each retail.

So ........ think about the giant savings. Why ....... by not changing your oil filter at 47K instead of say 10K or 15K .......... that might put your kid through Harvard Medical School !!!!!!!! so long as you could maintain the savings for 2,000 years.

The 2GR-FE also burns zero oil ........... by zero ............ that means zero between 7,500 mile changes with mobil 1 synthetic + filter. Again it's not "about" zero ...... when properly maintained even after 100,000 miles. (Yes, I have one) it's a pure zero oil consumption.

To r6dallas / op ? Does your engine use ZERO motor oil between changes ?

BTW: I agree that since you put your miles on FAST and change at 4K ....... you are driving under OPTIMAL conditions for an oil filter. That would not be the case for most people.

Last edited by Paul3637; 10-28-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 06:13 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Didn't know that. I figured that they would have the typical significant dealer markup.

Source: guy who recently paid like $3 for a crush washer for his girlfriends highlander.