ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

All of a sudden after a heavy rain:

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 04:46 PM
redeldo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All of a sudden after a heavy rain:

In my 07 ES350 I had water on the carpet of the drives side all the way to the backseat! I was gone for a coupla days when this happened and with the heat it sure did have a musky odor when I opened the door!

I have looked all around the sunroof and cleaned the edges could not see anything that would leak although under the sunroof at the front there was water in the tray.

Then I looked all around the windshield. Could not see anything that could cause a leak.

Lightly hosed off the car today and had water dripping down the driver side pillar and the covering for the pillar was wet.

Anyone have this problems or suggest where to start looking. This car has never had a leak anywhere until now. Gonna have to have the carpet removed and steam cleaned I guess to get rid of the odor, but not until I stop the leak!!!!

Thanks for any help!!

Wayne
07 ES 350
Old 09-10-15, 05:37 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably the sunroof drain tube has come adrift. See it here: http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2011/L...agramCallOut=8
Old 09-10-15, 08:11 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To test out if your drains are working properly, open the roof top, simply poor water on the edge and look at the bottom of the car, you should see it drip down from 4 specific sides. If not, for drain tubes are either blocked or disconnected.

Also, if you want to troubleshoot visually, you can take out easily the dome light on the ceiling (next to the sunvisor) and use a flashlight to see metal sheet. For the B pillar, i've removed it before, it is easy also, simply pull off the black bottom trim (held with clips) and unscrews screws to release the upper B pillar, this way, you can see better for the leak. Another easy trick is simply pull down the ceiling side trim tuck under the door rubber trim, pull down, it is held with clips, you can have a better look at the metal frame of the ceiling.

Last edited by Blueshark; 09-10-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 08:15 AM
redeldo
Driver School Candidate

Default All of a sudden after a heavy rain:

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Probably the sunroof drain tube has come adrift. See it here: http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2011/L...agramCallOut=8
I took a quick look the morning and the tray was full of water so stuck some towels to soak up the water. I will check the drains if I can see them. Best way to clean them if clogged is _________.

For some reason I always thought when the sunroof was completely closed that it was just like a window, water could not get in between the gasket around the glass and the roof of the car. I must be wrong on this so how does water get under the sunroof?

Wayne
Old 09-11-15, 07:04 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... compressed air .
Old 09-11-15, 09:06 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You'd think that the gasket/seal would not allow leakage but they apparently can/do leak......thus the drains. I'd be careful using compressed air.......you might blow the hose off (if it's still connected) at the drip channel connection particularly if there was a serious blockage down in the drain hose a bit. I would probe carefully with something that is flexible like a pipe cleaner brush (of the appropriate size) first. That'll get you down about six inches or so. I believe the front drains are easily accessed, but I've not yet had this issue with this car.
Old 09-12-15, 03:37 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is definitely the front left drain being plugged. Hidden within the car are 4 drain hoses connected by a compressible ring. Two of them are in the front cabin and two in the rear. You can see the rear ones snake out in the rear fender wells of your trunk if you remove the covers.

If you remove the roof finishers (they just snap in) you should see the drain. Something blunt + flexible can be used to see if you can unclog it or a relatively low gust of compressed air should do it. Do not try to force it or you could damage the hose + make it come off. Then you'll have a really bad time.
Old 09-12-15, 01:37 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldgrump
You'd think that the gasket/seal would not allow leakage but they apparently can/do leak......thus the drains. I'd be careful using compressed air.......you might blow the hose off (if it's still connected) at the drip channel connection particularly if there was a serious blockage down in the drain hose a bit. I would probe carefully with something that is flexible like a pipe cleaner brush (of the appropriate size) first. That'll get you down about six inches or so. I believe the front drains are easily accessed, but I've not yet had this issue with this car.
Curious... What material would clog it besides leaves? No clue,
Old 09-12-15, 04:51 PM
redeldo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Curious... What material would clog it besides leaves? No clue,
I took a couple of straws off of a straw kitchen broom (please don't tell my wife) and stuck it down the 2 front drains. Didn't feel much resistance but the end of the straw was covered with wet, black material that looked like road grime, dust, small debris particles. After that I used the air hose again and gently applied air to the drain holes. Could see nothing come out, so I poured water in the tray and lo and behold it drained out on the floor.

I hope that solves this problem, now to get the carpet dry!!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Wayne
Old 09-12-15, 07:16 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

My son spilt his entire water bottle onto the floor. I took some paper towel and sponged out a good part of the water. Next I took the car into garage, opened all the windows and sunroof and put a fan down near where the water was spilt. In a few hours it was dry.
Old 09-14-15, 03:43 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing to clean those sunroof drains is string trimmer (WeedWacker) string. Cut a hunk of it off the spool about 4-5' long, gently push it down the drain, maybe squirt some cleaner like Windex or Simple Green to act as a lubricant.

I would NOT use compressed air, you can pop the tube off under the "tub" in the roof, and the next time you will have a huge mess that will stain the headliner.
Old 09-21-15, 08:43 PM
jfall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KLF
The best thing to clean those sunroof drains is string trimmer (WeedWacker) string. Cut a hunk of it off the spool about 4-5' long, gently push it down the drain, maybe squirt some cleaner like Windex or Simple Green to act as a lubricant.

I would NOT use compressed air, you can pop the tube off under the "tub" in the roof, and the next time you will have a huge mess that will stain the headliner.
Good call on the weed wacker line....

Also +1 for NOT using compressed air. While you would probably be OK if the hose pops up you will have a bad time getting it fixed.
Old 10-31-15, 06:25 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes weed wacker line is the best
If you run the line all the way through and the water is still pooling, the drain tube could have been dislodged before it exits the car (happened in my 2005 lexus rx)