ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

A few questions about my new purchased 2008 es350

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 10:16 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool A few questions about my new purchased 2008 es350

1. First question I have is what is the REAL description and different trim levels. Every dealer calls their lexus a "premium package" even when its a base.

From what I know there is a base model and premium package, and the highest the pebble glass one? If someone who actually knows the different trims can list them, and the differences of each. I know some have parking sensors and some have nav.

2. How do I know that my AFS lights are working properly, aren't they supposed to move left and right when I turn the steering wheel, because they don't seem to be moving but no afs light is on in the dash.

3. Only issue I am having is a loud squeeky noise from the right side I'm told could be the serpent belt and that it needs to be rubber lubricated.. or is he wrong?
Old 08-13-15, 07:17 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

1. Check this out: http://archive.newswire.ca/en/story/...y-of-l-finesse

Note that the available options and trim levels are different between Canada and the US.

2. Do you at least the premium package? The base (which I have) does not have AFS. You know when you have the base because the steering wheel doesn't have the wooden inserts. All the other trim levels do and will have AFS.

3. Serpentine belt sounds like a definite culprit here. It could also be the one of the pulleys and wheels it winds itself through.
Old 08-13-15, 03:05 PM
Lexus081
Driver

@jakya yes i guess i have the premium package as i have afs lights. but how do i know if the afs lights are working as i dont see the light moving when i'm turning..

so it turns out the problem is the alternator and/or the lever pulley. quoted $230 for the alternator + labour

i just bought the car this weekend and it was making this noise when i took it from the dealership so i feel like they should be fixing this.

also, is it possible wd40 can burn or 'fry' the alternator and damage it? maybe when they sprayed wd40 it went on the alternator and damaged it, as it wasn't making squeeking noise this loud before.

Last edited by Lexus081; 08-18-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:05 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

There's a switch right next to the tps switch if you have afs, right?
Old 08-18-15, 04:12 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by Ricknee
I'd make them replace the belt for free.
Here's how you know you have AFS: If you have HIDs, white light output, you have AFS. If you have halogen bulbs, typical light color of yellow, you don't.
yes i already know i have afs. but what i am asking is how do you know if your afs lights are working?
aren't they supposed to move around from left to right when you turn?
Old 08-18-15, 04:13 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
There's a switch right next to the tps switch if you have afs, right?
what is the tps for? and what does it do?
Old 08-18-15, 04:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus081
what is the tps for? and what does it do?
Tpms is the tire pressure monitoring system.
Old 08-18-15, 04:48 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus081
yes i already know i have afs. but what i am asking is how do you know if your afs lights are working?
aren't they supposed to move around from left to right when you turn?
Yes. They are supposed to move in the direction you steer the car. It is subtle though. Not sure if this will work, but you could park in your garage or facing a wall at night. Turn on your engine and headlights. Now, turn the wheel left and right. You should be able to tell if the lights are moving by looking at the wall in front of you. This should work unless the car has to be moving for this feature to work.
Old 08-18-15, 05:41 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The AFS headlights operate only above 10 KPH. If you don't have an Owner's Manual you can get an on line copy here: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/owners/manuals In Canada I also believe that you have to have the Premium with Navigation Package to have AFS (going by a 2009 brochure that I have).

Last edited by oldgrump; 08-18-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 05:56 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
The AFS headlights operate only above 10 KPH. If you don't have an Owner's Manual you can get an on line copy here: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/owners/manuals In Canada I also believe that you have to have the Premium with Navigation Package to have AFS (going by a 2009 brochure that I have).
You don't need navi to get AFS in Canada. Comes as part of the premium package for the 2008.
Old 08-22-15, 10:47 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by oldgrump
i see, well i checked and i do have the AFS button, and when i push it, it says 'afs off' on the dash. but i just want to know if they are working properly

also, second question, the tire pressure monitoring button, what does it do when you push it? as nothing comes up on the dash
Old 08-22-15, 12:54 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

you really need an owners manual cause there is all sorts of mysterious stuff on the lexus see page 300
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
25.pdf (1.83 MB, 168 views)
Old 08-24-15, 12:43 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

If you don't have the manual, here is the link to the online manual.
I found it in one of the older posts in this forum when I bought mine and its been most helpful for when I can't get out to the car to get the bible out of the glove box.
Hope this helps.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...2008&x=31&y=12
Old 08-26-15, 04:28 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by nevernu
you really need an owners manual cause there is all sorts of mysterious stuff on the lexus see page 300
thanks everyone for the info. i have a manual and went over it yesterday, found out a lot of cool things.

i have a question; i noticed on a friends lexus on his main display dash his shows the KM/Per hour speed, but on mine it only shows "average km speed", how do i change this to show the actual speed i'm traveling? i didnt find it anywhere in the manual

thanks
Old 08-26-15, 05:28 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your friend's display is in one of two fuel consumption modes which reads "xx.x L per 100km", where your display is indicating the average speed for "the trip". The display cannot indicate your speed at any moment in time......that's what the speedometer is for.

Quick Reply: A few questions about my new purchased 2008 es350