First-Time Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 07:05 AM
nsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-Time Buyer Questions

Sorry in advance for the long post...

After researching for months, last night I finally bought a 2007 ES350 with the Ultra Luxury package. It has only 18,700 miles and we are really happy with the purchase. We paid about $20k after taxes, fees, and a TotalCare warranty from EasyCare.com.

When I got home, I registered the car on the Lexus Drivers website, and I reviewed the service history. I know I should have done this before buying it, but I thought I'd need more information than the VIN number to register the car. Besides, I bought the car from a reputable dealership and I had an independent mechanic perform an inspection. The mechanic said the car looked great, with a few small exceptions (mostly cosmetic and recommended the rear brakes be replaced), nothing to worry about.

Anyway, the previous owner had the car consistently had the car serviced at a Lexus dealership, and this was the last entry, on June 2nd:
TEST BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM. CUSTOMER STATES WHILE DRIVING THEY HEARD A CRACKLING NOISE FROM TEST BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM. CUSTOMER STATES WHILE DRIVING THEY HEARD A CRACKLING NOISE FROM THE RADIO , ALL LIGHTS WENT OUT AND DROVE A COUPLE BLOCKS TURNED CAR OFF AND VEHICLE WAS DEAD AFTER THAT . TRIED TO START VEHICLE AGAIN AND TRIED TO JUMP CAR - 18500 TESTED BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR. BATTERY IS GOOD BUT ALTERNATOR IS NOT PUTTING OUT POWER. RECOMMEND ALTERNATOR.

According to the service history, the alternator was replaced the same day. Is the rest of the stuff something I need to be worried about, or is that just the alternator? On the way home, the car drove really well, but when I hit 70-75mph a few times, the steering wheel felt a little shaky. Is that something I should worry about?

We weren't going to buy a warranty at first, because the main reason we went with a Lexus was for reliability, but now I'm so happy that we did. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with some experience, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails First-Time Buyer Questions-img_6791.jpg   First-Time Buyer Questions-img_6792.jpg  

Last edited by nsmith; 07-10-15 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-10-15, 07:22 AM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job! You can flip your images btw
Old 07-10-15, 07:32 AM
nsmith
Driver School Candidate

Ok just tried, might have messed it up even more...and thanks!
Old 07-10-15, 12:49 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Take a look at the drivers door plate for the build date. Those manufactured after 01/2007 had less issues than early build date 2007 models. There were transmission slipping problems early on. I had an 03-07 build date ES that went for 7 years without any major problems. Make SURE the vvt oil line hose was changed there is a service campaign for it. The steering wheel buttons have a tendency to delaminate, mine did at the 6 year mark. The oil from your fingers increases the process so clean them with a wet nap or something. Enjoy the car. Is yours moonshell mica(silver-pink), that was an awesome color especially with the all glass roof!
Old 07-10-15, 01:12 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats on the buy. Overall the vehicle is reliable. Do have the ATF changed periodically. It'll cost a little over $ 200 at a toyota dealer. The window regulators sometimes go out on these along with broken clips on the windows. The wobble in the front is probably just the wheels needing to be balanced.

Just an FYI- you don't have to use premium either. Many, many folks have used regular (including myself in all 3 ES 350s I've owned) with zero negative effects.
Old 07-10-15, 03:58 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

Congrats.
Check your front tires, they are probably the factory tires and recomend you to replace them. Check the date on them.
Old 07-10-15, 04:53 PM
nsmith
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will definitely check on those parts. To answer your question jkeller, it's Tungsten Metallic on the ad for the car, and it looks like the current Silver Lining Metallic.
Old 07-13-15, 02:53 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your car should last you a good, long time. My '07 has over 176,000 miles on it and has been by far the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Don't worry about the alternator replacement if your electronics are functioning normally. If something was fried when the alternator died it would have been found during service.

I agree with 12jimmyjam on your front tires needing to be balanced. Also on the premium gas - I've used regular for the last 8 years.

I changed out my ATF after 100k miles myself, as neither the Toyota nor Lexus dealers here would touch it. It's supposed to be for the life of the vehicle, so don't worry about it unless you put in serious miles.

Enjoy your new ride!