ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

just got hit 100k on 09 es350 what should be changed ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 06:10 PM
kenEs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got hit 100k on 09 es350 what should be changed ???

What should i change for the 100k service ??
Old 07-02-15, 07:06 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I would change the car for one with less mileage.
Old 07-02-15, 07:36 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jagtoes
i would change the car for one with less mileage.
x2 .................
Old 07-02-15, 08:52 PM
s9211
Driver School Candidate

I would change the car for one with less mileage.
Why change the car at 100k? It's a Lexus, they last forever if maintained well.
Even my Toyota has close to 200k miles on it.
Old 07-03-15, 05:58 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by kenEs350
What should i change for the 100k service ??
First change all of the fluids , oil , transmission , coolant , brake , power steering and fuel filter . Replace shocks and struts along with tie rod ends and ball joints. Re-lubricate half shafts and check boots for leaks. Replace spark plugs and while doing this replace spark plug coils. Check suspension bushings and replace as required. Service the AC system replacing orifice valve and required hoses. Replace all belts. Check all wheel bearings . Check and replace required fuel and coolant hoses. Once done drive and enjoy your old car.
Old 07-03-15, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

First change all of the fluids , oil , transmission , coolant , brake , power steering and fuel filter . Replace shocks and struts along with tie rod ends and ball joints. Re-lubricate half shafts and check boots for leaks. Replace spark plugs and while doing this replace spark plug coils. Check suspension bushings and replace as required. Service the AC system replacing orifice valve and required hoses. Replace all belts. Check all wheel bearings . Check and replace required fuel and coolant hoses. Once done drive and enjoy your old car.
This is ridiculous. Are you kidding around or trying to be serious?

If you're just going to replace the car because it has 100k miles you're totally missing the point of having a Lexus. These cars are very reliable, very long lasting, and assuming one is proactive with maintenance and stays on top of things that do require replacement, remain very reliable and dependable cars for double that mileage or more.

Very few of the things in your list need to be done simply because the car has done 100k miles. My old 2003 ES is still in the family with 175k miles, its had regular maintenance done to it, the only things outside of that which have been done are the lower control arms & ball joints, at about 160k miles, and an alternator about 4 months ago. Plugs should be done around 100k, but no reason to replace the coils. No reason to service or replace anything with the AC as long as its running cold, belts are fine as long as they're not slipping or showing wear. Shocks and struts and tie rod ends may not need to be replaced for another 100k miles as long as there are no issues.
Old 07-03-15, 09:43 AM
s9211
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is ridiculous. Are you kidding around or trying to be serious?

If you're just going to replace the car because it has 100k miles you're totally missing the point of having a Lexus. These cars are very reliable, very long lasting, and assuming one is proactive with maintenance and stays on top of things that do require replacement, remain very reliable and dependable cars for double that mileage or more.

Very few of the things in your list need to be done simply because the car has done 100k miles. My old 2003 ES is still in the family with 175k miles, its had regular maintenance done to it, the only things outside of that which have been done are the lower control arms & ball joints, at about 160k miles, and an alternator about 4 months ago. Plugs should be done around 100k, but no reason to replace the coils. No reason to service or replace anything with the AC as long as its running cold, belts are fine as long as they're not slipping or showing wear. Shocks and struts and tie rod ends may not need to be replaced for another 100k miles as long as there are no issues.

I agree with SW15LS. This list jagtoes has provided is not really required. I would suggest find a reliable local mechanic. A lot of mechanics who work at dealerships also do work on the side. Since this is a Lexus, a mechanic who services Toyota and Honda may also be able to service your car just fine.

Oil change and transmission fluid flush/drain should be done according to factory recommendations. You may need a coolant flush, but I've never had to replace brake fluid or power steering fluid. A reliable mechanic would be able to tell you what is really needed.

It may be a good idea to replace the spark plugs. Belts may need replacement, but again a good mechanic will be able to tell you if it needs replacement based on how long you plan on keeping your car.

Suspension will probably not need replacement, but if you go to a chain auto store, they will almost always recommend changing it. Wheel bearings rarely go bad, but when they do you'll know as they start making a loud noise almost like you have a jet engine attached to your car. Your mechanic should be able to take your car for a spin and tell you if anything is needed.
Old 07-03-15, 10:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I thought the recommendations from jagtoes were done tongue in cheek.
Old 07-03-15, 10:58 AM
jagtoes
Racer

And you still have an old car with 100K miles on it. I assume you still have the same cell phone that you 1st bought. All of todays cars run over 100K miles and Lexus is no better or worse then the rest of them. I've got 35K on mine so it will go for trade at 50K. Enjoy the ride
Old 07-03-15, 01:05 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah, not really.
Old 07-03-15, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

And you still have an old car with 100K miles on it. I assume you still have the same cell phone that you 1st bought. All of todays cars run over 100K miles and Lexus is no better or worse then the rest of them. I've got 35K on mine so it will go for trade at 50K. Enjoy the ride
If you want a new car at that time, fine. I no longer keep cars that long (hell, I traded the same car you're driving 3 years ago). However to tell someone though that they have to do all of those repairs and they should otherwise just trade the car "because it has 100k miles on it" is contrary to the purpose of this forum...which is to provide people with meaningful, dependable, accurate information...and your post was none of that.

A beat on Lexus is just getting started at 50k miles, a well maintained Lexus is just getting started at 100k miles.

A car is not a cell phone, plenty of people keep their cars longer than you and when they ask questions of the forum giving them ridiculous answers like you did is totally unfair.
The following users liked this post:
Aeroeng (06-10-20)
Old 07-03-15, 04:38 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you want a new car at that time, fine. I no longer keep cars that long (hell, I traded the same car you're driving 3 years ago). However to tell someone though that they have to do all of those repairs and they should otherwise just trade the car "because it has 100k miles on it" is contrary to the purpose of this forum...which is to provide people with meaningful, dependable, accurate information...and your post was none of that.

A beat on Lexus is just getting started at 50k miles, a well maintained Lexus is just getting started at 100k miles.

A car is not a cell phone, plenty of people keep their cars longer than you and when they ask questions of the forum giving them ridiculous answers like you did is totally unfair.
The question is as ridiculous as my answer. The OM as well as the Lexus web site lists what should be done at difference mileage levels. This form is helpful in sorting out problems that are not necessarily covered in the manuals. The advice here is based on others experiencing similar problems and helping others with a similar issue. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-03-15, 07:11 PM
TerryTundr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Really ? Huh?

The question is as ridiculous as my answer. The OM as well as the Lexus web site lists what should be done at difference mileage levels. This form is helpful in sorting out problems that are not necessarily covered in the manuals. The advice here is based on others experiencing similar problems and helping others with a similar issue. Thank you for your response.
I see nothing wrong with his question. As a Lexus enthusiast, seems like a valid question. There are many things unique to any vehicle . I find your response(s) not helpful at all. I bought my Lexus with 105k for 14K. Drives like a new one, why ...because its a Lexus!! You can do what you want but in my opinion trading a Lexus at 50K, is like throwing your money away!
As to the original question, I would check the rubber hose next to the head closest to the fire wall. It transfers oil. If it brittle or leaking get it changed asap. There is a recall on it .
Spark plugs may need to be replaced. I have read somewhere on here that some wait a bit longer . When you change them use the oem Toyota/Lexus (Denso). They are Awesome plugs ..last a long long time!
Anyway Thanks for the question and Enjoy you Ol Lexus!
The following users liked this post:
Aeroeng (06-10-20)
Old 07-04-15, 11:47 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

I with Jagtoes on this. The OP`s original question of what should be done at 100k service says it all. SEARCH on the internet at Lexus is all you have to do if you don`t have the original manuals. Some people still like to be spoon fed. Jags second answer on what to replace should have clicked in.
Some people have trouble comprehending.
Old 07-04-15, 12:28 PM
TerryTundr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see by these replies , that one must carefully evaluate the content of there questions. Thus sarcasm from fellow Lexus lovers will follow. I thinking this maybe my last post.............

Quick Reply: just got hit 100k on 09 es350 what should be changed ???