ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car Vibrates when Driving Up a Hill

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 03:57 PM
Lexus1989
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Car Vibrates when Driving Up a Hill

I got my 2011 ES 350 inspected at a dealership in Chicago last week and they told me that the passenger-side (right side) front axle boot was leaking grease. I'd noticed before that my car would shimmy/vibrate slightly when I accelerate, the vibration would intensify if I was accelerating up a hill. However, the mechanic at the dealership said the problem COULD be in the axle, but it could be something else. The car has new Michelin tires, I would assume the problem is tires, but that wound't explain the increased vibration that happens when driving up a hill. I talked to a local mechanic and he said he would replace the axle for $170 (Vs. $500 at he Lexus)

Could you please share your opinions? Do you think the vibration would disappear if I replaced the axle?
Old 05-20-15, 07:43 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1989
I got my 2011 ES 350 inspected at a dealership in Chicago last week and they told me that the passenger-side (right side) front axle boot was leaking grease. I'd noticed before that my car would shimmy/vibrate slightly when I accelerate, the vibration would intensify if I was accelerating up a hill. However, the mechanic at the dealership said the problem COULD be in the axle, but it could be something else. The car has new Michelin tires, I would assume the problem is tires, but that wound't explain the increased vibration that happens when driving up a hill. I talked to a local mechanic and he said he would replace the axle for $170 (Vs. $500 at he Lexus)

Could you please share your opinions? Do you think the vibration would disappear if I replaced the axle?
Curious... Is this a CPO? How many miles on your ride?
Old 05-20-15, 07:46 PM
Lexus1989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Curious... Is this a CPO? How many miles on your ride?
It is not a CPO, it has 66K on it now
Old 05-20-15, 08:18 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be the axle, could be an engine mount.
Old 05-20-15, 10:28 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you have hit or run over something that struck the underside of the car? If the vibration is being felt only on acceleration then it's not a tire issue. It's more plausible that there is a connection between the grease being flung out of the axle CV joint boot and the vibration. Grease leaking from a CV joint boot is usually due to the boot being cut or torn and it doesn't take long after that before the CV joint gets contaminated with moisture and dirt/grit etc. which results in rapid wear/failure of the CV joint. There are two (inner and outer) CV joints (and boots) per drive shaft......did the mech tell you which one threw the grease? (I'm guessing that it's the inner). The RH drive axle assembly also has a support bearing which can fail and could cause vibration. 170 bucks to replace a driveshaft sounds way too cheap.......I'd question the quality of that one.
Old 05-21-15, 09:59 AM
Lexus1989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Could you have hit or run over something that struck the underside of the car? If the vibration is being felt only on acceleration then it's not a tire issue. It's more plausible that there is a connection between the grease being flung out of the axle CV joint boot and the vibration. Grease leaking from a CV joint boot is usually due to the boot being cut or torn and it doesn't take long after that before the CV joint gets contaminated with moisture and dirt/grit etc. which results in rapid wear/failure of the CV joint. There are two (inner and outer) CV joints (and boots) per drive shaft......did the mech tell you which one threw the grease? (I'm guessing that it's the inner). The RH drive axle assembly also has a support bearing which can fail and could cause vibration. 170 bucks to replace a driveshaft sounds way too cheap.......I'd question the quality of that one.
Thank you! That's why I was suspicious of the low price. When I asked the mechanic about the manufacturer of the axle, he said "it doesn't matter because it's new". So that made me skeptical of the whole thing. Do you know a website that has OEM Lexus parts?
Old 05-21-15, 10:11 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

The V6 Camry and the ES350 will share the same part, so just get whichever is cheaper. That or do research and get one from Autozone that has a warranty and is a quality part.
Old 05-21-15, 10:14 AM
Lexus1989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickTee
The V6 Camry and the ES350 will share the same part, so just get whichever is cheaper. That or do research and get one from Autozone that has a warranty and is a quality part.
Thank you, Sir! I will let you know how it goes after I replace the axle
Old 05-21-15, 03:15 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee

Toyo diy dot com
Old 05-21-15, 04:05 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1989
Thank you! That's why I was suspicious of the low price. When I asked the mechanic about the manufacturer of the axle, he said "it doesn't matter because it's new". So that made me skeptical of the whole thing. Do you know a website that has OEM Lexus parts?
Aftermarket axles are a hit or miss, and with a car this young it's not worth putting on an aftermarket axle. Many of them are junk. I highly suggest getting a new OEM axle, and if that is out of your budget then perhaps re-boot the current axle.
Old 05-21-15, 04:18 PM
Lexus1989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Toyo diy dot com
Thanks!! I found it for about $800 , but again, it's OEM so it should be expensive
Old 05-21-15, 04:20 PM
Lexus1989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Aftermarket axles are a hit or miss, and with a car this young it's not worth putting on an aftermarket axle. Many of them are junk. I highly suggest getting a new OEM axle, and if that is out of your budget then perhaps re-boot the current axle.
I think I will go for an OEM axle. Thanks
Old 05-21-15, 04:47 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2011/L...&siteid=214992

$480 here, plus the 10% forum discount.
Old 05-21-15, 05:11 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

Car Vibrates when Driving Up a Hill-tjr3aot.jpg
Old 05-21-15, 06:52 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's way too much. I linked where MyLparts has it for almost half of that.

Quick Reply: Car Vibrates when Driving Up a Hill