ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

IS Wheel alignment need for any of these procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 09:59 AM
MacG2014
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS Wheel alignment need for any of these procedures?

Hey All,

Have had three Dealer procedures performed on my car all of which would have thought would call for a wheel alignment. What say you?

CV Boot replacement

Right front wheel bearing

Upper oil pan gasket (supposedly requiring engine removal).

They now tell me that the toe in is out and and my front tires need replacing.

They will sell me Michelin two tires M&B for $461 and an a 4 wheel alignment for $149 which is about what a local tire shop would charge.

Thanks.

Last edited by MacG2014; 05-06-15 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-06-15, 10:51 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Firestone has the lifetime alignment for $169. Unless the Lexus one is also lifetime, that's a complete rip-off. Also, what kind of tires are they trying to sell you, because the Primaxy MXV4 is $186 per tire+M&B from Discount Tire Direct, which would still come out to less than $461 M&B even if you bought Discount's tire warranty. You can also check if discount has the lifetime alignment, because then you would be able to do alignments and rotations at the same place.

All-in-all, it just sounds like they're ripping you off and I wouldn't go with them. I would also never buy a tire from somewhere where they do not have tire road hazard warranty.
Old 05-06-15, 11:00 AM
MacG2014
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Firestone has the lifetime alignment for $169. Unless the Lexus one is also lifetime, that's a complete rip-off. Also, what kind of tires are they trying to sell you, because the Primaxy MXV4 is $186 per tire+M&B from Discount Tire Direct, which would still come out to less than $461 M&B even if you bought Discount's tire warranty. You can also check if discount has the lifetime alignment, because then you would be able to do alignments and rotations at the same place.

All-in-all, it just sounds like they're ripping you off and I wouldn't go with them. I would also never buy a tire from somewhere where they do not have tire road hazard warranty.
Costco out the door is 419 Michelin mx4v. Les Schwab would have to order for $537. OTD. Local Firestone said no warranty.

Anyone on the wheel l=alignment requirement.?
Old 05-06-15, 04:01 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

The wheel alignment is required if you change tie rods or bushings.

But I recommend doing alignment every 20-25000 miles especially if you live in Michigan (roads with potholes).
Old 05-06-15, 08:41 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
The wheel alignment is required if you change tie rods or bushings.

But I recommend doing alignment every 20-25000 miles especially if you live in Michigan (roads with potholes).
Thanks. I suspect that maybe that the alignment was out when we bought it because it seemed a little squirrely full throttle getting on the freeway drifting a bit left to right. What they said was the inside of the tires were worn meaning towed out some and I think that could give that loose/floaty kind of feel. As soon as I can get it out of the wife's hands I;ll give it go and see

Your solid handshake signature makes me think that the only thing that bugs me about this car is the sound of the driver's door closing as it sounds hollow, kind of sheet metal flexing sound that catches my ear every time. Great car otherwise.
Old 05-06-15, 09:07 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MacG2014
Thanks. I suspect that maybe that the alignment was out when we bought it because it seemed a little squirrely full throttle getting on the freeway drifting a bit left to right. What they said was the inside of the tires were worn meaning towed out some and I think that could give that loose/floaty kind of feel. As soon as I can get it out of the wife's hands I;ll give it go and see

Your solid handshake signature makes me think that the only thing that bugs me about this car is the sound of the driver's door closing as it sounds hollow, kind of sheet metal flexing sound that catches my ear every time. Great car otherwise.
That's pulling of the car while going full throttle is called torque steer.

If you wish to get rid of that hollow sound, using a combination of CLD tiles, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl on the doors will completely eliminate it. I noticed that when I tap on the outer sheetmetal of the door, it sounds hollow. I will be taking apart the doors and completely deadening them, which should eliminate the sound.

Wear on the inside of the tires can be caused by excess negative camber or toe-out. Toe out would also cause more instability when driving normally.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-06-15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 02:48 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

Yeap, negative camber and/or toe out. Alignment will fix both.

Maybe you have something loose inside the door. Mine i quiet.