ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Parking Sensor Alert Volume Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 03:04 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Parking Sensor Alert Volume Issue

I've had my '09 ES 350 for a few months now. I am disappointed in the low volume of parking sensor alert. The volume is all the way up and the switch is on. Is anyone else expecting it to be louder as I am or do I have a faulty "speaker"? I'll be going to the dealer next month for service and will get their opinion at that time. Thanks to all.
Old 04-13-15, 04:20 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

there is personalized setting for this that the dealer can adjust

F & R BUZZER VOLM (Front & rear buzzer volume)
M2 default
Function to change volume of buzzer / L, M1, M2, M3 or H
L: Low volume M1: medium low volume M2: medium volume M3: medium high
Old 04-13-15, 07:02 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can adjust stuff like that with the Carista OBD2 app. (I had to adjust my Lock/Unlock volumes down.)
Nice app to have.

Walt
Old 04-14-15, 07:04 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

So glad I posted here. I called the dealer before posting, they said there's no dealer adjustment, but I found that hard to believe as the volume is so low. It must be set on M1. Carista sounds handy to have as well.
Old 04-14-15, 09:49 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swfla
Carista sounds handy to have as well.
And probably much cheaper forever than having a dealer do it just once.
Old 04-14-15, 11:20 AM
jtse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Can adjust stuff like that with the Carista OBD2 app. (I had to adjust my Lock/Unlock volumes down.)
Nice app to have.

Walt
Which OBD2 Bluetooth Dongle did you get?
Old 04-14-15, 03:58 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtse
Which OBD2 Bluetooth Dongle did you get?

Since I have an iPad, had to get WiFi Adapter, not Bluetooth (Apple does not allow Bluetooth, so developers had to design another Carista app for Apple devices, using WiFi instead). I was going to use my iPhone with the app, but app is optimized for iOS8, so I put it on my iOS8 iPad.
Walt

But to answer your question, I got this (wifi) adapter (Ebay $15.85, Free Shipping):
Attached Thumbnails Parking Sensor Alert Volume Issue-wifiobd2.jpg  
Old 04-15-15, 02:51 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nevernu
there is personalized setting for this that the dealer can adjust

F & R BUZZER VOLM (Front & rear buzzer volume)
M2 default
Function to change volume of buzzer / L, M1, M2, M3 or H
L: Low volume M1: medium low volume M2: medium volume M3: medium high
I called Lexus customer service/support. They confirm that my '09 ES350 doesn't have this personalized setting. I know it's available on LS460 for certain. Too bad. I'm going to the dealer next week and having them evaluate the low volume to determine if it's faulty. Will post results after my visit.
Old 04-15-15, 04:38 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swfla
I called Lexus customer service/support. They confirm that my '09 ES350 doesn't have this personalized setting.
Yeah, it looks that way. This is the sample of the (2008) ES350 settings that can be changed:

http://www.caristaapp.com/customizat...xus_es350_2008

I suppose your car is the same.
Old 04-15-15, 05:42 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Drive away from that dealer as fast as you legally can and never go back. Your '09 ES350 Owner's Manual clearly states that a dealer can change the Parking Assist warning volume.......Page 155. It's originally set to Level 3 by default. IF you have Navigation you can change all sorts of settings including the Park Assist volume etc., yourself. This is all in your Navigation Manual. Both Manuals list this function and others under "Customization" as nevernu explained.
Old 04-16-15, 05:09 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Drive away from that dealer as fast as you legally can and never go back. Your '09 ES350 Owner's Manual clearly states that a dealer can change the Parking Assist warning volume.......Page 155. It's originally set to Level 3 by default. IF you have Navigation you can change all sorts of settings including the Park Assist volume etc., yourself. This is all in your Navigation Manual. Both Manuals list this function and others under "Customization" as nevernu explained.
Hi OldGrump, glad you had the common sense to check the owner's manual. Even though my car is an '09, I've got an '08 manual. Between our two manuals it seems to be a sure thing. But the proof is in the pudding as it appears to be a dealer setting, I'm not going to buy the OBD adapter and app until the conflicting info from the mfgr and the owners manual is cleared up. I will bring the manual to show the dealer and do my best to have the setting changed at N/C. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-15, 11:12 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Just for kicks, I started the app on my car (2011 ES). I says it's checking with my vehicle to see what features can be customized, so apparently the car tells the app what can be changed. Then, this comes up. This is the screen shot, and on my 2011 the parking sensors can be adjusted. My volume is shown as "3".

So I'd say your 2009 can be changed with the app, but I don't blame you for being hesitant ....

Walt
Attached Thumbnails Parking Sensor Alert Volume Issue-2011es350.png  
Old 04-16-15, 11:32 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Thanks for taking the time and effort. Good info.
Old 04-21-15, 03:05 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Went to the dealer today. The service writer showed me the printout for personalized settings. No settings for volume control or distance. There was no charge for this service. I going to order the OBD2 bluetooth dongle and download the Carista app. The nice folks at Carista told me n/c to download app and read the customized menu for my car. I only have to pay once I decide to make any changes. As the dongle is returnable, there's no financial risk to give it a try. BTW Carista is now available for iOS!
Old 04-21-15, 05:07 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a little late, but I'll chime in. I have the 2009 Lexus ES350 Luxury Package. I have the OBD Cable and Toyota Techstream software on my laptop. I plugged everything in hoping to increase the volume for the parking sensors. To my disappointment, the volume adjustment for the parking sensor through TechStream is the same volume adjustment you get on the Navi touchscreen when you push the "Info" button --> "Parking Sensor" option, in other words there are five levels that can be adjusted on the Lexus Navi touchscreen which is the same five volume levels adjusted through Techstream software.

In addition, the picture posted by ayonnebay is the exact same options I saw using TechStream. So don't get your hopes up.

Finally, I think it may have to do with the pitch of the beeping that makes it not loud enough. But either way, there is no fix for it.

Quick Reply: Parking Sensor Alert Volume Issue