ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bought a Used 2007 ES350 with 3,150 miles on it

Old 05-04-15, 10:07 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GCL
Yeah, I guess you're an expert. Spend the extra money. Have fun.
While I may not be an expert per say, I have spent my fair time working on and modifying a variety of cars. I certainly know more than you and your broad, incorrect statements. Furthermore, if you are so stingy that your refuse to spend the extra $1,500 over the life of a vehicle, why do you even own a Lexus? You should buy yourself a Geo Metro. Please don't post anything technical unless you know what you're talking about. In this instance, you have no idea what you're talking about. "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

This is the problem with the Internet. You have people like GCL who have limited knowledge and no expertise giving out incorrect information, information that could have very dire consequences. All this in the name of saving a small amount of money.

For the nay-sayers, realize that I am not saying that you cannot use regular gasoline. It is entirely possible that you can run regular gasoline without any significant consequences for the life of the vehicle. And you can even take it a step further and check if your car's knock sensors are picking up any knock. However, this does not mean it works for all cars in all climates and at all elevations. There are a multitude of factors that comes into play when talking about what is going on with the ignition and combustion in the engine, so GCL's simple check does not mean it is okay on every car.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-04-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 11:11 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtse
Really? Gold and beige is a bad color combination?

I see like a lot of camry's and ES's that has this color.

It does look like a grandpa's car though. But, I dont feel like it is ugly in anyway.

I had a mechanic take a look at the car and he said it is like it is new. Horrah!

Most of the recalls were done too. The brake fluid is like super clear and battery is new. It is at 4000 miles now. I decided to put in 87 octane gas to see what the difference is. I honestly don't feel anything different. As the engine is identical to the one in the Camry, I don't see any problem giving it 87. Any thoughts about that?
You should be running nothing but mobil #1 5W30.

Regardless that "most recalls were done" ........
the only one that matters is the vvt-i oil line
Make certain this oil line was replaced ...... not just inspected like some moron dealers were doing. and if they tell you the car is "not subject to recall" ..... look carefully at this one from a dealership that said " not affected '" ]

two weeks later ...... a NEW ENGINE:

Please go here to posts #29 - 32

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-recall-3.html

All pre April/May2008 produced 3.5L V6 are affected. Lexus and Toyota people can't seem to track them.

The $15,000 repair bill MSRP is now more than most of these vehicles are worth.

For the rest of you, buy a used engine from a 2009 or newer model year car produced after May 2008.

The recall that they say is not a recall has been extended through year 2021 (not a typo) ...... due to all the lawsuits clogging the court system.

Last edited by Paul3637; 05-04-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 01:09 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

. You are so funny. The Lexus is my daily driver. If you think that Lexus' are expensive, then we are in different leagues.

I would bet that my financial net worth is significantly higher than yours.

I'm over this thread. You can have the last word.

Originally Posted by NickTee
While I may not be an expert per say, I have spent my fair time working on and modifying a variety of cars. I certainly know more than you and your broad, incorrect statements. Furthermore, if you are so stingy that your refuse to spend the extra $1,500 over the life of a vehicle, why do you even own a Lexus? You should buy yourself a Geo Metro. Please don't post anything technical unless you know what you're talking about. In this instance, you have no idea what you're talking about. "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

This is the problem with the Internet. You have people like GCL who have limited knowledge and no expertise giving out incorrect information, information that could have very dire consequences. All this in the name of saving a small amount of money.

For the nay-sayers, realize that I am not saying that you cannot use regular gasoline. It is entirely possible that you can run regular gasoline without any significant consequences for the life of the vehicle. And you can even take it a step further and check if your car's knock sensors are picking up any knock. However, this does not mean it works for all cars in all climates and at all elevations. There are a multitude of factors that comes into play when talking about what is going on with the ignition and combustion in the engine, so GCL's simple check does not mean it is okay on every car.
Old 05-04-15, 02:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jtse
Really? Gold and beige is a bad color combination?

I see like a lot of camry's and ES's that has this color.

It does look like a grandpa's car though. But, I dont feel like it is ugly in anyway.

I had a mechanic take a look at the car and he said it is like it is new. Horrah!

Most of the recalls were done too. The brake fluid is like super clear and battery is new. It is at 4000 miles now. I decided to put in 87 octane gas to see what the difference is. I honestly don't feel anything different. As the engine is identical to the one in the Camry, I don't see any problem giving it 87. Any thoughts about that?
Yes, the same engine is used in the Camry, as well as the Avalon, Venza, RAV4, Highlander and Sienna al recommending regular unleaded and rated at 268-270 hp. depending on model.

I used regular in my 2007 and 2010 ES350's and recommend using whatever you are comfortable with in this engine (not all engines though) and you'll be fine.
Old 05-04-15, 02:13 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Calm down guys. Basically all modern engines have knock sensors and the computer continuosly advances the timing until incipient knock is detected. Then the computer just slightly retards timing to make it go away. It does this continously because knock happens not only due to fuel type but also load, engine temperature and other factors. Operating just in the incipient knock regime provides the best power and fuel economy while posing no danger to the engine. Generally, advancing timing (which means that the spark would occur earlier in the compression cycle) will generate more power but also a higher danger of generating knock. Knock can cause damage to the piston because the compression wave hits the piston at a speed faster than the speed at which the piston is moving away. This causes a slapping effect and can burn a hole in or mechanically damage the piston. The computer hears for this phenomena and if it detects knock, it immediately retards the timing and causes the spark to occur later in the compression cycle. Is allows the piston to 'catch up' with the flame front and knock disappears. The problem with this is that now the piston is not extracting as much power as it could from the burning gas and this lowers efficiency. One also has burning gas exiting the combustion chamber which in the old days could burn out the exhaust valves. I am old enought to know this because I used to mess with the timing of my dad's 1968 toyota corona all the time. I remember in the old days the engine would knock if I pressed the gas hard and increased load on the engine. It also knocked if the engine was too hot. I would only change timing by turning a screw which rotated he distributor cap to adjust the timing. The screw was called the octane selector. Now the computer does this hundreds of times a second and always delivers e highest efficiency while keeping the engine safe.

Use of lower octane fuel will simply make knock appear sooner (lower octane fuel has higher flame front velocity). Is will create knock and cause the computer to retard the timing. The result will be marginal reduction of power and efficiency. That is all. Now in some very highly tuned and high performance engines this would be a problem because the system would not be designed to operate in that state of retarded timing, but in normal family sedans this is generally not the case. One loses a bit of power and that is about it.

Last edited by zes; 05-04-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 04:53 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 641 Posts

2GR FE works very well on 87, there's no need for higher octane fuel.
I tried 98 and 100 (Europe). The engine runs and goes exactly the same. No difference.
Old 05-04-15, 07:29 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Someone must be buying them because Lexus has had that color combo around for years, and car companies don't keep around colors, even good ones, if they aren't making money. Two colors that come to mind are RSP and spectra blue mica
Curious.. What us RSP?
Old 05-05-15, 02:22 AM
jtse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
The most important item to check for on this car would be to ensure that the VVT oil supply line (rear bank, if I remember correctly) has been replaced with the all steel tube per Service Bulletin No. LSC-9LH. There is an associated free Customer Service Campaign to replace it. You can check for the recalls (2) and other SBs here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/. The dealer or a dealer at some time should have accomplished the two recalls and the VVT oil line SB (the latest revision). If the tires ARE older than six years, they should be replaced. I would also suggest that the original coolant be drained and replaced with new Toyota coolant, and that the brake fluid be changed/flushed/bled if there is no record of having been accomplished. Other than that, you should be good to go.
Okay, I'm going to a double check with the dealership about this. The link is not working for me. The dealership promised me they did everything, but I think I need some hardcore proof that this recall was done.

As for the argument of 87 octane or 91 octane, I didn't know there was a fundamental difference in such a topic. For me it wasn't a matter of $$$. It was more like if Lexus recommend premium because of 100% for the reason of getting 4 more HP or not. I didn't buy this car for HP. It was more or less an impulse buy when I saw a mint condition car that has depreciated greatly.

For example, I have a 2014 Mercedes Benz GL 550. I tried putting in 87 just for fun for 1 full tank once, and boy did I feel less power in that car. Then I tried that in my 2013 Smart Fortwo car, and I barely noticed any differences.

It all started when my friend who has a C 300 told me that she never puts in 91 for her car. I was like, really? so I started my testing it myself. Now she has like almost 80K and engine light went on, not sure if it is because of that though....

Part of me thinks the topic is similar to people who has to add gas at a 76 gas station because they say it is the best gasoline you can get. Another part of me thinks that car computers tuned the lexus ES esp. for Premium so there must be something less apparent going on.

Okay, it is driving me crazy thinking about this. Though the financial calculation of $1,500 over 100K miles made quite a lot of sense of not risking it.

:-)
Old 05-05-15, 04:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

Some folks get overly "passionate" about their opinion and evolve it into undeniable fact. We don't know anything about most people here, so a properly vetted approach may be the only way to "prove" ones point. Will 87 octane destroy your engine? Even you know that it MAY affect performance depending on the engine. We're dealing with mainstream engines in this thread, specifically the 350 V6 detuned in the ES model. Give it a little more time and a few more responses. You're wise to "trust but verify" the oil line replacement though.Whatever you do, don't ask if wax or polymer paint protection is better!!! LOL.
Old 05-05-15, 03:42 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

You should also check the AC drain tube. It is not unheard of with low mileage cars that they get clogged and the overflow ends up soaking the interior carpet.
Old 05-05-15, 03:46 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zes
Calm down guys. Basically all modern engines have knock sensors and the computer continuosly advances the timing until incipient knock is detected. Then the computer just slightly retards timing to make it go away. It does this continously because knock happens not only due to fuel type but also load, engine temperature and other factors. Operating just in the incipient knock regime provides the best power and fuel economy while posing no danger to the engine. Generally, advancing timing (which means that the spark would occur earlier in the compression cycle) will generate more power but also a higher danger of generating knock. Knock can cause damage to the piston because the compression wave hits the piston at a speed faster than the speed at which the piston is moving away. This causes a slapping effect and can burn a hole in or mechanically damage the piston. The computer hears for this phenomena and if it detects knock, it immediately retards the timing and causes the spark to occur later in the compression cycle. Is allows the piston to 'catch up' with the flame front and knock disappears. The problem with this is that now the piston is not extracting as much power as it could from the burning gas and this lowers efficiency. One also has burning gas exiting the combustion chamber which in the old days could burn out the exhaust valves. I am old enought to know this because I used to mess with the timing of my dad's 1968 toyota corona all the time. I remember in the old days the engine would knock if I pressed the gas hard and increased load on the engine. It also knocked if the engine was too hot. I would only change timing by turning a screw which rotated he distributor cap to adjust the timing. The screw was called the octane selector. Now the computer does this hundreds of times a second and always delivers e highest efficiency while keeping the engine safe.

Use of lower octane fuel will simply make knock appear sooner (lower octane fuel has higher flame front velocity). Is will create knock and cause the computer to retard the timing. The result will be marginal reduction of power and efficiency. That is all. Now in some very highly tuned and high performance engines this would be a problem because the system would not be designed to operate in that state of retarded timing, but in normal family sedans this is generally not the case. One loses a bit of power and that is about it.
Incorrect. The timing on the vehicles is set to a safe parameter. What you're describing would be something done on a performance engine that is tuned beyond the max. When tuning a vehicle, you do not want to rely on the knock sensors to retard timing. That's a protection thing, not something that should be relied on. These engines will only retard timing if they sense knock, which means you're doing something very wrong. After all, these engine are designed to last several hundred thousand miles.

Originally Posted by GCL
. You are so funny. The Lexus is my daily driver. If you think that Lexus' are expensive, then we are in different leagues.

I would bet that my financial net worth is significantly higher than yours.

I'm over this thread. You can have the last word.
Pft, look at him pulling the money card. Talk about extreme insecurity with a mix of narcissism. If you really made as much as you say, a couple hundred a year wouldn't mean anything to you.
All I care about is that you stop giving technical advice on things that you have ZERO clue what you're talking about.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-05-15 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 04:46 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The best 07 ES color was moonshell mica. Ahhhh silver(pink), what a color.

Old 05-05-15, 06:06 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

That's true. That's the best color for this car, especially in combination with light gray interior. I was very close to purchase a 2007 ES350 UL moonshell mica with light gray interior.

Diamond white is my second choice. Mine is diamond/lt gray though.
Old 05-06-15, 02:44 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
2GR FE works very well on 87, there's no need for higher octane fuel.
I tried 98 and 100 (Europe). The engine runs and goes exactly the same. No difference.
2012 Model Year Lexus started recommending 87 Octane and 268 HP vs 272 ......... same as Camry. The car will take lower octane without engine damage. But watch out. I took a 10% gas mileage "hit" when going from 93 Octane to 87 Octane. Each person's experience seems to vary.

Last edited by Paul3637; 05-06-15 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-06-15, 08:09 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Do you really know what is the difference between 87 and 93?