ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES350 recall???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 07:36 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul3637
Any updates ... since been in the shop for three or four weeks now ?
So,

They will be covering the metal line install...in my new engine. What a disaster, but you know what, I'll still take a Lexus over all other luxury brands.

(not to mention the LX570 I have been demoing since it's been in the shop)
Old 02-19-15, 10:55 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexman83
So,

They will be covering the metal line install...in my new engine. What a disaster, but you know what, I'll still take a Lexus over all other luxury brands.

I'm just glad they did the right thing by you. Glad you got a new engine.
Oh, and yes you are right, no luxury brand beats the Lexus for delivering a car with just the right "balance" of features to make the driving experience top notch.

When my son lived in Texas, my ex-wife flew down and took care of the grandkids while he and his wife went on vacation for two weeks. She had full access to both their "luxury" cars ..... a BMW X5 and a Mercedes E Class. After her two week "driving experience" she bluntly asked my son: "why do you drive these things, they don't ride or drive half as nice as my Lexus? .... to which he replied "mom ..... everyone in Dallas has a Lexus .... they're just a "poor man's Mercedes."

Fast forward a few years and due to constant reliability issues that make your oil line problem look tame .... [like BMW's failure to stand behind a post warranty blown engine at 65,000 miles (despite flawless dealer maintenance)] .... my son and his wife are now the proud owners of two Lexus vehicles..
Old 07-08-16, 09:07 PM
canucklexu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexman83
So,

Lexman83-I could use your help, if you could reply.
-bought an RX350, 2009-used, in Jan-2013. Car was serviced by Oakville Lexus before handoff. (Would they have known about he recall then?)
-I have not used a Lexus dealer for service.
-Was not aware of the recall notice
-@ 160Km, I got a rupture in the rubber line, oil completely drained.
-not an expensive repair but am worried about damage to engine, medium term/long term. Engine has not seized however. Current mechanic very good, I've had other cars where they were aware of recall notices.
-How do I deal with Lexus on this issue-ie). potential engine repairs going forward or replacement of engine should it fail....
Old 07-10-16, 12:06 PM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklexu
Lexman83-I could use your help, if you could reply.
-bought an RX350, 2009-used, in Jan-2013. Car was serviced by Oakville Lexus before handoff. (Would they have known about he recall then?)
-I have not used a Lexus dealer for service.
-Was not aware of the recall notice
-@ 160Km, I got a rupture in the rubber line, oil completely drained.
-not an expensive repair but am worried about damage to engine, medium term/long term. Engine has not seized however. Current mechanic very good, I've had other cars where they were aware of recall notices.
-How do I deal with Lexus on this issue-ie). potential engine repairs going forward or replacement of engine should it fail....
Check your build date. Any 2GR-FE V6 engine built May 2008 or later has (or should have) an all metal vvt-i oil line that will not rupture. I doubt your problem is the vvt-i oil line.

For model years through 2011, the Lexus RX350 with AWD or Trailer Tow package has a second faulty rubber oil line to the oil cooler (Sienna, Highlander, & Venza have it, too) that can rupture and there is an extended warranty program for this rubber hose as well. In Canada there was a recall but in USA, just there is an extended warranty.

Go to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html

The vvt-i oil line is on the top of the engine ... the oil cooler line is more complex looking and is on the bottom of the engine. In both cases, the original part was rubber and the factory replacement is metal.

If you go here to post #.4 here, you'll see the Toyota version of the problem.

The ES350 does not have an oil cooler so it is not affected by this particular problem.