ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

High Pitch Jet Turbine-Like Whine

Old 11-30-14, 04:03 PM
onthefly11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitch Jet Turbine-Like Whine

Hello all. I just bought a 2007 es350 yesterday with 67k miles. When I test drove the car, the highway was too congested to get the car above 50 mph. So, the car sounded fine to me and I purchased it with a free 90 day, 3k mile powertrain/engine/transmission warranty. The car should still be under its standard 7 year 70k mile warranty as well, right?

Fast forward to today. The highway was less congested and I was able to get the car up to 80 mph. However, I noticed a constant hum start at 60 mph, which became louder and more high pitch at 75 mph. Im taking this back to the Lexus dealership from where I purchased it to get the sound diagnosed and repaired, but thought I'd see if anyone here has had a similar issue or know what the problem could be? I'm hoping it's a problem still covered by the warranty, like the differential (does the ES350 have a differential since it's fwd) or pinion bearings. Could it be something simple, like a bad tire?
Old 12-01-14, 06:11 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you literally just bought a lexus and you dont even know whether or not you have any sort of warranty? They literally give you a pamphlet when you bought the car. What matters is that you have a 3k warranty. Id take it back to the dealership immediately and get it looked at. I hope you looked underneath the car before you bought it and looked for painted panels and repairs. If not you should. If they sold a car with preexisting problems they will not tell you about it because it will cost them money.
Could be anything given you didnt say where exactly its coming from. Maybe a wheel bearing? Definitely not a bad tire though.
Old 12-01-14, 05:25 PM
onthefly11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
So you literally just bought a lexus and you dont even know whether or not you have any sort of warranty? They literally give you a pamphlet when you bought the car. What matters is that you have a 3k warranty. Id take it back to the dealership immediately and get it looked at. I hope you looked underneath the car before you bought it and looked for painted panels and repairs. If not you should. If they sold a car with preexisting problems they will not tell you about it because it will cost them money.
Could be anything given you didnt say where exactly its coming from. Maybe a wheel bearing? Definitely not a bad tire though.
Yeah, I took it in today and checked all 4 bearings. The rear left bearing was bad so they're replacing it for free. I do have a 90 day/3000k mile warranty on the drivetrain/engine/transmission. They said that the bearings are not covered under a drivetrain warranty, but they're replacing it for free anyway. They were confused why it went bad in the first place with such relative low mileage. They said that bearings sometimes go bad because the wheel may sit in high water during rain, but they doubt that was the cause since this is Southern California. The part should be in tmrw or the day after. Until then, they loaned me a 2013 fully loaded ES Hybrid, which is amazing! Think I found my next car after this one.