ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ML Sound system sounds horrible - fuse blown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 10:13 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default ML Sound system sounds horrible - fuse blown?

Hi All, I've been searching around and discovered a blown sub is a common problem with the ML system. I have a 2008 ES 350 that just sounds really bad. Are there other things that can go wrong, a blown fuse somewhere or something? I haven't noticed bad woofer, but will look closer next time I get the car in my hands (its my wifes)

The problem I'm having is even if the woofer was blown, it would seem the other speakers would sound a little better than they do.
Old 11-01-14, 08:45 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had a fuse blown they just wouldn't work.

What exactly is the problem here? They work, are not broken, and they are not blown. Between this thread and the one asking about "the boaty feeling" and "struts going bad" it just seems like you're grasping at straws for complaints after you just purchased the car. Don't you do a little more research on cars before buying them like test driving more than one? That would of quelled the majority of the questions you have.

We are more than happy to answer questions or concerns but it seems like you are unhappy with the purchase and are looking for confirmation from this board. We cannot help you with that one.
Old 11-01-14, 12:16 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xanderES
If you had a fuse blown they just wouldn't work.

What exactly is the problem here? They work, are not broken, and they are not blown. Between this thread and the one asking about "the boaty feeling" and "struts going bad" it just seems like you're grasping at straws for complaints after you just purchased the car. Don't you do a little more research on cars before buying them like test driving more than one? That would of quelled the majority of the questions you have.

We are more than happy to answer questions or concerns but it seems like you are unhappy with the purchase and are looking for confirmation from this board. We cannot help you with that one.
It is quite possible there is more than one amp in particular setup requiring more than one fuse. (and yes, I am an electrical engineer) I've heard very good things about the ML system, so something is definitely not correct with mine. I'm trying to determine what that could be and came here for help, hoping someone had experienced similar issues. As far as struts go, they have been known to go out at 60K so I am asking what people use when they replace so that when I get mine inspected and find out they are blown I'm ready to make the decision on what to replace them with. I've done a search and don/t see after market discussed much. Boy, someone really has a case of the Mondays, or maybe a psychologist? My wife has told me I need help I actually love this car or I would not have purchased it.

To clarify, the sound system is very weak, somewhat tinny. It does not sound good at low volume. The bass does not sound like is blown, but it does not have the authority it should posses. Pretty hard to describe in a post, but I know a good , fine tuned sound system when I hear one, and this one is not working as it should. Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated. Please leave the psychology to my therapist.
Old 11-01-14, 07:34 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do apologize. It gets quite exhausting perpetually answering questions for members on easily accessible information.

Unless you are able to see oil leaking from the struts, can hear them bottom out, or can easily push down on the corners of the car I doubt they are blown. Most people replace struts with a company like bilstein or kyb - camry v6 xle is a direct fit, are the closest weight to the ES and use the same mcpherson type suspension. The "boat" like drive you describe is due to the soft suspension for the cushy ride along with the high clearance of the wheels. If you would like to spend a bit more you could opt for a set of coilovers. Lowering the center of gravity greatly reduces body roll.

As for the sound system, even with the ML it all depends on preference. There are certain things you can do like turn off the ASL and mess with the mid/treble/bass which will help, but the sub will always be lacking. There are multiple threads on going aftermarket to add to the bass. There is a possibility of blown tweeters but you'll have to diagnose that by changing the position of the sound stage to isolate certain speakers and listen for speaker rattling. If you would like to take a look at the amp its in the right rear of the trunk under the cover.
Also, the most likely reason for the bad sound is that you are not listening to a quality source. Radio is streamed at a low bit rate which will never sound well. FLAC or Lossless 320 will sound the best if you are not listening from a legitimate cd source.
Old 11-02-14, 10:43 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by w84me
It is quite possible there is more than one amp in particular setup requiring more than one fuse. ....
looking at the wiring diagram there does appear to be 2 amp fuses

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post8772423
Old 11-02-14, 12:49 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xanderES
I do apologize. It gets quite exhausting perpetually answering questions for members on easily accessible information.

Unless you are able to see oil leaking from the struts, can hear them bottom out, or can easily push down on the corners of the car I doubt they are blown. Most people replace struts with a company like bilstein or kyb - camry v6 xle is a direct fit, are the closest weight to the ES and use the same mcpherson type suspension. The "boat" like drive you describe is due to the soft suspension for the cushy ride along with the high clearance of the wheels. If you would like to spend a bit more you could opt for a set of coilovers. Lowering the center of gravity greatly reduces body roll.

As for the sound system, even with the ML it all depends on preference. There are certain things you can do like turn off the ASL and mess with the mid/treble/bass which will help, but the sub will always be lacking. There are multiple threads on going aftermarket to add to the bass. There is a possibility of blown tweeters but you'll have to diagnose that by changing the position of the sound stage to isolate certain speakers and listen for speaker rattling. If you would like to take a look at the amp its in the right rear of the trunk under the cover.
Also, the most likely reason for the bad sound is that you are not listening to a quality source. Radio is streamed at a low bit rate which will never sound well. FLAC or Lossless 320 will sound the best if you are not listening from a legitimate cd source.
Thanks. I am familiar with Bilstein, but it appears they no longer provide Lexus equipment. KYB looks to be pure OEM from what I can tell. Ran speaker isolation test last night and all seem to be working, including bass. Sounds clipped when I listen to door speakers.
Old 11-02-14, 12:55 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevernu
looking at the wiring diagram there does appear to be 2 amp fuses

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post8772423
Thanks for locating this. Ya, looks like there are 2 separate 30 amp fuses running to the Amplifier that provide power. Can't really tell why they are doing this because the Amplifier is shown as a black box, but could potentially supply power to different sections of the amp. I'll have a look at the fuses ASAP and give feedback.
Old 11-02-14, 02:18 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

you can tell from the diagram which speakers are powered by which fused circuit by following the *1 *2 paths.
Old 11-03-14, 01:44 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Well, no blown fuses. I did get an opportunity to plug in a CD and it did sound much better, although still not quite as good as I would expect. Unfortunately I didn't get extensive testing done because wife had headache. I feel like the lower volume is not able to overcome road noise as it should (the car is very quiet, but of course some road/engine noise is going to get thru). Not talking extreme low volume, just a decent level where you could still have a conversation. I feel like bass and mid-range is getting drowned out, especially when driving. My comparison is a 2004 BMW Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system. I would expect them to be pretty comparable, the BMW has more road/engine noise but maybe that is the wrong expectation. Both have about same number of speakers and upgrade cost in Lexus was quite a bit more.

On the radio side - I'm wondering if the radio sounds bad due to a non-Lexus windshield, not sure if antenna in windshield or not, but could be an issue.

I need to run a radio -vs- CD test w/o wife present in car to see if there is a big difference or if my memory is just bad.

BTW : found this : http://www.marklevinson.com/lexus-es.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/160-ca...son-worth.html

Last edited by w84me; 11-03-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 05:57 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Default Front Doors mid-woofers

Did some critical listening tonight. Front door mid-woofers are not putting out any frequencies that reach voice level frequencies. They sound very muted, only low frequencies are heard. Think that is what I'm hearing that I dislike. The back door mid-woofers you can clearly hear voice.

Does anyone know if the front door mid-woofers are crossed over at a low frequency or should we hear voice from them?
Old 11-04-14, 02:31 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Founds some great threads on replacing front door speakers.

SumDumGuy goes thru great detail starting on 2nd page. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-2007-a-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-08-es350.html

Last edited by w84me; 11-04-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 02:58 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w84me
Founds some great threads on replacing front door speakers.

SumDumGuy goes thru great detail starting on 2nd page. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-2007-a-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-08-es350.html
You linked to my thread.

I'm still running these in each front door. They sound incredible even with the factory amp. I may go crazy and use a 24 year old Precision Power class A amp on them.
Old 11-05-14, 11:02 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robert_J
You linked to my thread.

I'm still running these in each front door. They sound incredible even with the factory amp. I may go crazy and use a 24 year old Precision Power class A amp on them.
Thanks for posting that thread Robert! I am a little confused on the door speaker mounts. Why did you buy an adapter to put your speakers in? What is the factory adapter designed to hold, what size are the factory speakers? I'd like to just do a drop in replacement to make it easy. It looks like factory is 6x9, but would like to clarify. Also, why didn't you go with 6x9?
Old 11-06-14, 06:51 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The opening is an oversized 6x9. If you look at my thread, the factory speakers don't have an adapter. They have a plastic frame that is the perfect size to mount to the door. The adapter gives me about 1/2" more depth and the proper mounting points for a 6.5" speaker.

The original Phoenix Gold speakers were a drop-in fit on the adapters. The Crescendo models required some trimming with a Harbor Freight oscillating cutter. I just took the cardboard piece from the Crescendo box and placed it on top of the adapter.. A quick shot of spray paint marked the part I needed to remove. - about 1/8" all the way around. The paint gave me a clean line to follow. I also had to drill new mounting holes for the speakers.
Old 11-07-14, 12:15 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Another great thread of 6x9 component install. This is a LS 460. Would these work in a ES 350?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tall-pics.html

Quick Reply: ML Sound system sounds horrible - fuse blown?