ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How is your ES350 holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 06:26 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as non-wear items, I've only had my water pump replaced. Normal wear items such as wipers, battery (for vehicle) and tires/brakes/rotors as well. All in all, what I would expect from any car, but nothing I would consider major service other than $$$ out of my wallet. 08 bought in 11; all the above service was this year at different points with 65-75k on the clock.
Old 10-31-14, 08:55 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
As far as non-wear items, I've only had my water pump replaced. Normal wear items such as wipers, battery (for vehicle) and tires/brakes/rotors as well. All in all, what I would expect from any car, but nothing I would consider major service other than $$$ out of my wallet. 08 bought in 11; all the above service was this year at different points with 65-75k on the clock.
What mileage did your water pump start leaking/give out? Was it still under warranty/cpo?

Jag this is what I thought of when you said that...
Old 11-01-14, 07:53 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
What mileage did your water pump start leaking/give out? Was it still under warranty/cpo?
I had the water pump done @ 64k I believe, a little late on the 60k service mark.
Old 11-02-14, 10:19 AM
jagiovana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Xander - classic. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 11-09-14, 06:33 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Bought my 2007 ES350 in Oct 2006. It now has just 60000 miles. Radar cruse went out about 2011. Lexus fixed it free. No other problems except the tx flare, and the clunk when you fill up with gas and now they discovered the passenger CV joint boot leaking. Haven't decided if I will do it or let Lexus do it. Parts would cost less than 25.00 and they want 450.00 to replace both boots on the passenger side CV axle. Its been a great car and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Lexus. The boot leaking is a surprise as I have had a Honda and a Acura with over 180k and no leaks or any problems.
Old 11-10-14, 02:09 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

I read about your cv boot issue. Im surprised it wasn't leaking because of a tear or a hole as that is the predominant reason for it slinging oil everywhere.

I actually did have one replaced when I owned the car. Though it was most likely more contributed to the fact that I was lowered causing more stress to the suspension and being more prone to rock/pebble impacts. I initially thought it was a timing leak cover as did a tech friend. It is in another thread somewhere in the forums
If you have the ability I say spent a weekend doing it! Just make sure to clean out the joint thoroughly in case any debris got inside the boot. Take pictures and post the process to help out other members who encounter the problem.
Old 11-16-14, 06:32 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still have mine...one of the first to roll out the door in '06. Had many of the early issues that Lexus took care of. Only one that has returned is the rattle in the dash. Otherwise it's still a fine ride and the 24/32-33 mpg impresses me to this day.
Old 11-16-14, 02:53 PM
m3isffej
Driver School Candidate

Around 60K on my 2007 and it is holding up VERY well. No major issues and if there were, it was taken care of under warranty and/or via recall.
Old 11-16-14, 04:11 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macklin
Still have mine...one of the first to roll out the door in '06. Had many of the early issues that Lexus took care of. Only one that has returned is the rattle in the dash. Otherwise it's still a fine ride and the 24/32-33 mpg impresses me to this day.
Which rattle exactly? Is it a rattle from the wires behind the nav? The one where the dash squeaks from the material shrinking in cold weather, the squeak from the gauge cluster surround, or maybe the one that comes from the chrome shifter surround, or does it come from behind the dash at the contact points to the body.

You'd be surprised of how many squeaks and rattles I tracked down in that car... But man was the sound in that car after the system and sound deadening was absolutely glorious.

Going to name a couple more places since the memories are getting quite fuzzy after not owning the car for some time now (added ones which I can remember but not in my car in parenthesis). Rear view mirror rattling from being loose + the chip inside also rattles, early models squeak when you press down behind the center console in the back seat, (front or rear windshield tabs squeak on bumps), rear squeak/tapping sound when subwoofer hits low notes from by a module in the center of the roof near the rear windshield, and visor covering the mirror will rattle if not closed properly.

Hopefully this will help a few people in the future track down noises.
Old 06-30-16, 07:42 PM
kfboone
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 07 premium plus with 175,000 miles. It was a one owner and the list of items repaired at the dealership is amazing. Pretty long list. I can share it if anyone is interested. But I'm very pleased. The only noise inside is the center console squeak, which I see a DIY in this forum and plan to implement. I also have a 07 Camry Hybrid with 125,000 miles. The Camry is loaded with everything you can get, but doesn't have several features that the Lexus has. They both are quiet, but the Camry engine doesn't run part of the time, which is an unfair advantage. The overall cabin noise seems lower in the Lexus, but I can feel the engine - possibly motor mounts?. Mostly, the Lexus feels larger and stronger - which it is. I prefer the Lexus. I've noticed the flare characteristic in the transmission. Does anyone know if it's covered under a recall? I probably won't get it fixed unless it's covered at no charge. It's not bad.
Old 07-01-16, 12:01 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Holy thread revival Batman!

Well, I'll add my 2 cents. Our 07 ES350 did not experience any of the problems mentioned in the 1st thread. We had our problems but everything occurred after 100K, except for brake shuddering at about 30K, which warranty covered. Alternator went out at about 120K. Replaced radiator at about 110K. Lost a roof rubber thingy at about 150K . Pass-side upper engine strut thingy went out at about 160K. #6 plug coil went out at about 175K. Brakes shuddering after new rotors/pads; might have to replace calipers. Overall, not at all disappointed with the quality; engine/trany still driving strong and smooth. Plug change and full flush coming up soon.
Old 07-01-16, 04:49 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

2010 ES with 46K miles. Only time it's been back to the dealer since buying it new was for the floor mat grommet problem. The NHTSA website shows no recalls, customer safety complaints or investigations and only 3 manufacturer communications. One of those being the floor mat grommet problem. Very trouble free model year.
Old 07-02-16, 01:44 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2008 PP bought on 10/31/07 - approximately 42,000 miles.

Gas pedal recall, battery, tires & oil changes, plus the complete A/V upgrade.
Old 02-21-19, 07:05 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey Guys,

Sorry for an old thread bump. I've been doing some research on a potential next vehicle for myself.

I'd like to gather some info on the biggest ticket items of the 5th Gen ES and this is what I've found reading some of the older threads.

I've been looking at the 08-09 MY with 100k-150k miles.
My main priorities are the overall condition indicating a history of proper maintenance as well as service records.
I have a lot of experience with car repair and can do most jobs short of engine/transmission replacement, so upkeep shouldn't be a problem.

Would you agree with this list? Is there anything I'm missing or misinterpreted?

Major known issues for ES that are not covered with recalls:

1. Water pump failure

2. Timing cover oil leaks.

3. Rubber oil lines bursting

4. CV drive shaft vibration. (100k-200k miles)

5. The alternator decoupler pulley (100k miles+)

6. Dashboard issues on early models

Quirks of the 5th Gen:
1. Transmission has a weird shift behavior (aka 2-3 and/or 3-4 flare).
2. Steering wheel controls tend to rub off easily (pre-facelift)

Last edited by Hayk; 02-22-19 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 12:22 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

# 3 and 6 are covered by recalls.

#4 can happen to any vehicle due to normal wear/tear and can also be greatly affected by driving styles. My wife drives with a light foot and only the passenger side was replaced at 211K (but needed replacing at about 190K). Hard drivers will probably need theirs replaced by 100K.

Our ES350 never had water pump issues, and our transmission never experienced flares. I replaced the water pump at 219K as preventive maintenance; the shaft had a little play but the pump was otherwise in very good shape. I also only use universal anti-freeze - got rid of the red coolant at 100K. Maybe that's the ticket.

#5 Our decoupler pulley seized due to fretting at 155K and fried the alternator in the process. Gates recommends replacing it every 100K. Lexus doesn't even mention it in the maintenance schedule or owner's manual.

You're missing the derailment of the passenger side window. This also never affected our ES350 but there is a thread addressing the issue.

Some owners have also reported ignition coil failures a little after 100K. I've replaced three, but the first one didn't fail until about 170K.

Quick Reply: How is your ES350 holding up?