ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Shaking 40-45, 70-80mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 06:01 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shaking 40-45, 70-80mph

So, I started my journey in getting vibrations out of my car at the dealer (I know, I know, but it's CPO) - had rotors resurfaced, brake job, fluid flushed etc. That helped with pedal pulsing etc.

Now, fast foward 6 months - still have a notable shake at times 40-45, 70-80mph indicated. Took it back to dealer; tires are shot - I figured just a rotate, balance and align would be the cure. I bit the bullet, put on some MXVs and got the car aligned - again, at the dealer. Old tires had the edges fully worn (outside).

Today, after a 200 mile drive, the vibrations are back, and I REALLY don't want to go back to my dealer a third time to resolve this - in addition to not wanting to destroy a brand new set of tires. Who can I turn to to get this under control?
Old 09-25-14, 09:36 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

To clarify.......so on the 200 mile trip today the vibration was non-existant or negligible at the start of your trip and as you continued driving the vibration became apparent/got worse? That would be odd. Back to basics.......I would start by taking the car to any garage/service center (not a Lexus dealer) and have them rotate the front wheels to the back (firstly, have them verify that all the lug nuts were NOT loose (in other words that they had all been torqued to spec., or something close, when the wheels were last installed). Have them check for a bent wheel or wheels. If it hasn't previously been accomplished also have them check for obvious issues with the steering and suspension including wheel bearings. If it passes the inspection take the car for a drive and see if the vibration has been affected by the wheel rotation. Any history of accidents/damage? I'm always suspicious of CPO cars.
Old 09-26-14, 06:22 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's what I know today:

There was potential damage to the vehicle; only reason I say this is that whomever put the rear bumper back on didn't put it on right. No listed damage in Carfax; nothing underneath looks like it's been repaired - perhaps a light hit that required the cover to be removed and re-sprayed.

Once the new tires were put on the vibrations were diminished (not totally gone). Over yesterdays drive I noted two things - the vibrations were getting slightly worse (shakes in the cabin at those speeds) and the rotors appear to be warping again. I'm thinking that when they changed the tires they didn't torque the lugs down properly - in other words, too tight. Brakes weren't pulsing at all for the last 6+ months since the brakes were fully serviced (rotors turned etc.)

I had tagged a curb a year+ ago which left light scratches on one rim (rear coming around an oddly shaped curb). Would that be enough to bend it? not sure; but I don't think the dealership could figure that out even if I took it to them and asked them to look at it. At this point I just don't have a shop I trust enough to diagnose the issue and guide me without fleecing me. I definitely don't want to pay Lexus prices for something that should be simple, in my opinion.

Last edited by mlacomb; 09-26-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-26-14, 01:55 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

A couple of thoughts....

1) When you say shaking, where? As in, do you feel it in the steering wheel or do you feel it in the seat of your pants.
That could give you some indication perhaps. If you feel it in the steering wheel, it could have to do with the front tires/rims/suspension. If you feel it in the seat of your pants, it could have to do with the tires in the rear or maybe something suspension related.

2) Does it happen at that speed on all roads? In mine, I sometimes get vibration of certain roads but not others.

I know it's annoying as these cars are supposed to be smooooooooth !

Good luck.