ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Next mod? Dashcam in rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 09:05 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Next mod? Dashcam in rearview mirror

I'm thinking of my next "mod" - integrating a hidden dashcam into the back of the rearview mirror.

The Mobius dashcam seems quite modular and people have already done hidden installations with other vehicles. (but nobody has yet to integrate one into the rearview mirror)

I was thinking to integrate the lens into the back of the rearview mirror and then extend the circuit board and controls into the overhead sunglasses compartment.

Do any of you use a dashcam? Is it really useful or am I just "fishing" for the next project?

As member xanderES said in an earlier thread, there is little available to do aftermarket-wise for the ES!

Last edited by GCL; 09-24-14 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 09:08 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a dashcam rear view mirror and its pretty discreet but not hidden. Since ive got it its been some close calls where it wouldve saved my ***. Id say it was a good investment.
Old 09-24-14, 09:16 PM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
I have a dashcam rear view mirror and its pretty discreet but not hidden. Since ive got it its been some close calls where it wouldve saved my ***. Id say it was a good investment.
So, did you replace the rearview mirror with an aftermarket one, or did you just attach the dashcam to the mirror?
Old 09-26-14, 12:33 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea but I am not sure if you'd even be able to fit both the lens and the circuitry discretely in the case. The lens seems pretty long depth wise and wouldnt fit flush mounted to the mirror. Having it stick out some could possibly work but then why go through the effort to mount it in the mirror?

I had to open the mirror up to sound deaden the chip which vibrated against the case. If my memory serves me right there was a bit of room directly behind and on top of where the chip sits that is just plastic which you could dremel out. I dont remember there being much room otherwise. Although I could be wrong as it is quite fuzzy now as it has been at least 1.5-2 years since it was done. I also recall that it was a pain to get open and that there was a part which I was unable to access which was the the compass screen.

You'll need a torx bit #20 to remove the mirror. You can verify the possible clearance for yourself.

Ill also leave the best dashcam website ive found www.dashcamtalk.com here for visibility as I am an advocate of dash cams. Either for your own protection against bad drivers, a possible hit and run, car vandals, shady "no report" citizens, or any of a myriad of situations which it would be beneficial to have video evidence.

Last edited by xanderES; 09-26-14 at 03:12 PM. Reason: torx bit not torq bit
Old 09-26-14, 09:47 AM
GCL
Driver

Thanks Alex!

As usual, you are a WEALTH of information and experience. Much appreciated.
Old 09-26-14, 03:12 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Well, im quite sure that im the only member who was dedicated and/or crazy enough to fully strip the interior.

So unfortunately im the sole source of random information like this. Don't give me too much credit though... I had to find my torx set and double checked the bit on my IS just to make sure the information was correct
Old 09-26-14, 06:59 PM
GCL
Driver

Hey... when are you going to show us your new IS? I'm waiting for the big "reveal" !

Originally Posted by xanderES
Well, im quite sure that im the only member who was dedicated and/or crazy enough to fully strip the interior.

So unfortunately im the sole source of random information like this. Don't give me too much credit though... I had to find my torx set and double checked the bit on my IS just to make sure the information was correct

Last edited by GCL; 09-26-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 03:12 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

I'm waiting for parts to be manufactured and sent overseas at the moment. Also got my hands on a very rare front lip which I dropped off at the fiberglass repair shop last week. Still about ~2-3 months from receiving and getting the parts painted.

Unfortunately my plans for the show car have constantly been delayed
Old 10-01-14, 04:56 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have dash cams in our limousines (I'm a chauffeur). They record the front and rear of the car and it is mounted on / under the rear view mirror mounting. If we have unruly passengers, I can tap the bottom of the cam and it will record and keep 10-15 seconds of the previous time. Also, in an accident, if I can press the red button, it will record the front of the vehicle. The recording is kept on a website that can be accessed by the limousine owners computer and app.
Old 10-02-14, 09:05 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GCL
So, did you replace the rearview mirror with an aftermarket one, or did you just attach the dashcam to the mirror?
The rear view is replaced with a mirror that has a built in camera.
Old 10-02-14, 09:25 AM
unklexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got EPrance 803 dashcams in both our cars. Easy to install, excellent picture, and with a couple of parts off ebay, easy to plug into the fusebox with no wire tapping. (or tap if you're inclined)

For a week it's fun to watch parts of the videos, I saw a minor wreck happen right in front of me literally a couple days after I installed it, great filmage.

But after a while you forget it's there, though I must say it's kind of like a home alarm system, once you have one, you don't want to be without any more. A psychological peace of mind knowing that if someone does something stupid and I have a wreck, no issues on who is to blame. (unless it's my fault, which is another topic )

I wouldn't have another car without installing one, honestly.

Best reviews and fun to watch videos are on the Techmoan web site. Here's the 803 review: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U
Old 10-02-14, 12:36 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by unklexus
We've got EPrance 803 dashcams in both our cars. Easy to install, excellent picture, and with a couple of parts off ebay, easy to plug into the fusebox with no wire tapping. (or tap if you're inclined)

For a week it's fun to watch parts of the videos, I saw a minor wreck happen right in front of me literally a couple days after I installed it, great filmage.

But after a while you forget it's there, though I must say it's kind of like a home alarm system, once you have one, you don't want to be without any more. A psychological peace of mind knowing that if someone does something stupid and I have a wreck, no issues on who is to blame. (unless it's my fault, which is another topic )

I wouldn't have another car without installing one, honestly.

Best reviews and fun to watch videos are on the Techmoan web site. Here's the 803 review: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U

I have the Eprance rear view its not hidden but people who Ive had in my car never noticed and the resolution is great day and night. Havent had the chance to hardwire it yet.

Old 10-02-14, 07:28 PM
GCL
Driver

Thanks all for your input. I may still do this in the future. I'll try to document it, if I do.

I'm a bit concerned that the camera's footage may work against me in an accident. But, I guess I don't have to tell people that I have footage, unless it's beneficial to my case.