ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

tires for winter that work good what do you use ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 03:05 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default tires for winter that work good what do you use ?

Ok so here is the deal i always use michelin tires but that is in Florida.
This winter i will be going to CO in the mountains for my College Internship
and i am wondering about tires
not sure how my Primacy MXV4 tires will work out in the snow
does anyone have a recommendation for a good tire that will haul my *** when their i mean i just need something that is going to hold up and be strong but i also want not so load when on the highway and need good handling

like should i jsut get a winter tire ?
or since it's a FWD do i not need winter tires
Old 07-25-14, 09:45 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Thumper
I live in northern Canada (cold, ice & snow). I use the primacys for summer and use the Michelin x-ice for winter on my ES350. Best winter tire I have ever used, both for ice, snow and dry pavement. Appears to be long wearing as well but I don't drive as aggressively as you do. Very low noise which is usually hard to achieve in a winter tire. Google PMC Tire evaluation and you will find a summer chart and a winter chart. I haven't tried the primacys in winter but from the above charts they are just marginally better in winter compared to the rest. Tire rack also has an excellent chart. see below.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C
Old 07-25-14, 08:59 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

cool thanks im going to look those up see what they cost and all
with a FWD vehicle and since i really am only probably going to be driving like 4k miles max over the winter time since its going to be going into storage ill basically Drive to Colorado in November put the car in a storage unit take it out once a week on my day off to drive to a friends house in Denver
do you think it would be cool just to put snow tires on the front ? do i need to spend the money on all 4 if the only ones that are picking up the traction would be the front i mean those are the drive wheels what do you tihnnk ?

another option i was thinking about was snow chains but i am not sure if they are legal in the high Rockies in co i know in ohio chains where not leagal on passenger vehicles i wouldn't use them on the highway assuming it is kept plowed i would really just use them when driving in the towns and to put them on if i get stuck in snow somewhere or on ice
Old 07-26-14, 03:33 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With just snow tires on the front, your ESC will activate a lot sooner....especially on ice should you have to stop or slow down quickly on a curve. I wouldn't risk it. As far as chains are concerned your recommended top speed is greatly diminished....very noisy as well. As you say they are not legal in a lot of areas because of the damage they cause to the roadways. What I would do is mount 4 winter tires before you leave for Col.
Old 07-26-14, 07:43 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

ok cool thanks
Old 07-28-14, 08:12 PM
eldernerd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Montana and our snow is probably a little dryer than Colorado but I drive an all season tire. I don't plan on driving in deep snow, mostly snow pack or ice. I used a Nokian WR series on a Lexus ES a few years ago including a trip to FL in January. It wore very well for an aggressive tread. Now I prefer the Nokian Entyre for my all season. It has reasonably good traction in winter and is quieter and rides better than the WR series, but won't work as well in deep snow.