ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Does this sound normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 07:46 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Does this sound normal?

So I went in for my 48,000 Km service yesterday at 46,000 Km. to my Lexus dealer.
Yes I am a light driver. It's a 2007 ES-350.

I just wanted to touch base here and find out if this sounds reasonable.

The service cost $521.86
Labor = 373.80
Parts = 84.02
Tax = 60.04

Nothing special, the usual.
-replaced a/c filter
-replaced smart key battery
-replaced brake fluid
-replaced internal trunk release ( a mandatory recall issue)
-4 wheel brake service
-oil and filter stuff
-checked battery
-rotated tires

I was expecting in the usual $370 range, so a bit more than expected.

But there was a bigger surprise.

When I picked up the car they told me I had a leaking water pump.
They said I would have to re-schedule another service appt. to fix it and it would cost $510.38 to install it.

Does this sound normal from your experience?

I haven't had any issues with the car to date.
Old 06-14-14, 08:29 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What the heck is a "4 wheel brake service"?? Oh, I know, they visually checked the brake pads for thickness when they accomplished the brake fluid change and and rotated the tires. At your cost for parts they sure didn't replace any pads. The trunk inside handle takes almost zero time......mine was replaced at no charge a few months ago. I'm guessing that the labour charge of $373.80 would be for 3 hours......how they can justify 3 hours for what they've accomplished is beyond me? It's a rip, in my opinion. But that's how the dealers make their money.
Before going ahead and having them change the coolant pump I would first ensure that the coolant level is between the F and L marks (engine cold) and then monitor the coolant level over the next three or four weeks (check it every few days) and see if the level drops any appreciable amount. Mind you, the cost of $510 quoted for the pump replacement sounds cheap considering that in theory they drop the engine/tranny assembly to access the pump. I wonder if Lexus Canada is in kicking something because of your low kms and that there is a TSB # L-SB-0091-11 in relation to the leaking coolant pumps on these cars.
Old 06-15-14, 04:19 AM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's about right which is about 4 hrs. but if you're near streetsville, mississauga, and want to save a few bucks, a former lexus master mechanic charged me $368 for labour to replace the waterpump. aussieauto.ca
Old 06-15-14, 06:30 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Water pumps are known to fail on these models unfortunately. Mine was covered under warranty, but they still dinged me for labor for a belt at an hour... even though they have to take the old belt off and put the new one on.

I'm going to go talk to a different service advisor - lucky enough to have 2 lexus dealerships in my area, and a friend of mine has had MUCH BETTER experience at the Dublin location than the Easton location (Columbus, Ohio)
Old 06-15-14, 08:59 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Nothing special, the usual.
-replaced a/c filter
-replaced smart key battery
-replaced brake fluid
-replaced internal trunk release ( a mandatory recall issue)
-4 wheel brake service
-oil and filter stuff
-checked battery
-rotated tires
Since your car is probably out of warranty anyway, I just pick and choose which services I think I need, rather than their blanket maintenance 'packages'. I do the powertrain stuff, but everything else is at my discretion.

I remember replacing the brake fluid earlier this year, was in the $120-160 (expensive, but oh well). Dead simple to replace the smart key battery and a/c filter (they charge $20-30! + part cost) for this. The battery should have been free, labourwise, the guy at the parts counter changed it for me when I bought a battery off them (~$3).

The internal trunk release, should have been free (its a recall).

The 4 wheel brake service I had done to the tune of $120-150. Waste of money, and I was naive to have gotten it. They just de-glaze the rotors with brake cleaner, they charge you for the brake cleaner too.

Oil & filter = $90 at the dealer.

So you can see with the taxes how it got up to $500.

Always, always, ask what each service item is, before you hand them the keys. Tell them exactly what you want and if it is cheaper to decouple it from the maintenance package, than do so, or do it yourself.
Old 06-15-14, 10:14 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iceblast
Since your car is probably out of warranty anyway...

So you can see with the taxes how it got up to $500.

Always, always, ask what each service item is, before you hand them the keys. Tell them exactly what you want and if it is cheaper to decouple it from the maintenance package, than do so, or do it yourself.

Thanks for the tips iceblast!

Yes my car is out of warranty of course.

I will definitely ask what each service item is in the future and see if I decouple them from the package whether I'd come out ahead.
Old 06-15-14, 10:16 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Before going ahead and having them change the coolant pump I would first ensure that the coolant level is between the F and L marks (engine cold) and then monitor the coolant level over the next three or four weeks (check it every few days) and see if the level drops any appreciable amount.
Thanks OG. I'll see if I can find where the coolant level is and then check the marks.
Old 06-15-14, 10:18 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CDNlexES
that's about right which is about 4 hrs. but if you're near streetsville, mississauga, and want to save a few bucks, a former lexus master mechanic charged me $368 for labour to replace the waterpump. aussieauto.ca
Thanks CDNlexES.
I'm about as far from streetsville as I am to my dealer, I think.
I will consider this as an option.

A plus for the dealer is they give you a loaner vehicle while you wait the time for repairs.
Old 06-25-14, 02:26 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Before going ahead and having them change the coolant pump I would first ensure that the coolant level is between the F and L marks (engine cold) and then monitor the coolant level over the next three or four weeks (check it every few days) and see if the level drops any appreciable amount. Mind you, the cost of $510 quoted for the pump replacement sounds cheap considering that in theory they drop the engine/tranny assembly to access the pump. I wonder if Lexus Canada is in kicking something because of your low kms and that there is a TSB # L-SB-0091-11 in relation to the leaking coolant pumps on these cars.
Could you please expand a bit on the TSB part + low kms?

It's been almost two weeks since the service that I had done.
Today I checked the coolant level for the first time.
It was right at the Full level.