TPMS still flashing with new tires and sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 04:12 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default TPMS still flashing with new tires and sensors

Hi all,
My 2007 ES350 had a problem with the TPMS where it would flash for the first minute and then stay solid. After checking all 5 tire pressures and resetting the system by using the button under the drivers side dash, I determined that it was probably a bad sensor. Seeing as how they are 7 years old, this seemed reasonable. (I also checked to make sure the passenger side button for the second set of tires was not pushed).

I just had new tires installed at Costco, and brought 5 new sensors for them to install.
They supposedly did whatever sensor registration magic is required, but I am still having the same issue.

The light blinks for the first minute then goes solid.
What is interesting is that when I try to reset using the button, the light flashes slower (about 1 per second) 3 times, then goes faster (about every half second or so) for the rest of the minute. Is this some code that the system is trying to display?
Also, is there any trick to getting this system re-initialized that I can pass on to the Costco techs when I take it back up there?
Thanks for the help.
Craig
Old 06-09-14, 06:44 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

bloody tpms is voodoo magic. maybe following this to the letter will help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tpms tsb.pdf (128.0 KB, 2100 views)
Old 06-09-14, 07:40 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

So I guess the flashing just indicates that they are still in sleep mode or inactive ( I assume a dead TPMS sensor battery would provide the same results). I'll try giving this a shot at home (rapid reduction of pressure) and see if I can get it to stop flashing. Otherwise I'll take these instructions up to the shop and have them try. Unfortunately I cannot read the DTC, but the ceasing of the flashing should be enough feedback.
Thank you very much for the information. I'll report back what I find.
Craig
Old 06-09-14, 09:35 AM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the light blinks it's either a faulty sensor or someone hit the switch to put them on second set.
Look under the glove box and you will see a black shield with a button. Make sure it's set on main. It's very easy for a passenger to hit the switch with his or her foot.

Worst case is the person who put your tires on broke a sensor
Old 06-10-14, 03:51 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

I doubt its the 2nd switch button as I checked that awhile back. The sensors I bought were VDO units (not Lexus), so I'm not sure the rapid reduction of pressure will do anything as that is not mentioned in the installation instructions for reinitializing, but its worth a shot. I'll still probably need to run in back up and see what the story is.
Old 06-14-14, 10:32 PM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem with tires and new tpms sensors installed by sears.

The old tpms was fine, I just decided to get new ones because the car is 7 years old. (mistake ?)

Anyway, i have checked the main vs second switch and that isn't the issue.

IIRC, the sensors seemed to have worked for a month or so after the install but then
seems to have gone into this mode. All tire pressures (including spare) are good.

Any updates/ideas on the root cause and fix ? Given that it was Sears, I probably need to
go back with a solution instead of asking for one
Old 06-15-14, 07:24 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

Not yet, I have not had an opportunity to go back up to Costco. I have the installation instructions for the VDO units. I'm hoping that one of them is not bad, but we'll see. I'm still going to try the pressure differential trick before I go up there, because in the instructions, it says for some units doing the rapid +-2psi will activate the sensors. I'll let you know if I find anything constructive.
Old 06-15-14, 11:37 AM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

I tried the rapid deflation in all four tires but no dice. The TPMS still keeps blinking.

I don't know the brand of my TPMS sensors so don't have the exact initialize procedures for that.
Old 06-29-14, 05:30 PM
craig72
Pit Crew

No joy on mine either using the rapid deflation.
Guess I'll have to run it back up to Costco and see if they can hook it back up and see what the problem is.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-17-14, 06:25 PM
mobetoblame
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig - it's been a couple of weeks, any luck identifying a solution? I'm troubleshooting a similar issue on my RX, but have not recently installed new tires. TPMS light blinks several times upon start up and then goes solid. Air pressure is good in all 5 tire, reset procedure doesn't take and I've checked the A/B switch under the glove box.
Old 07-20-14, 09:15 AM
Harlem1Der
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue with my 08. Forgive my ignorance on this next question as I'm new to the Lexus platform, but why is everyone saying to check the pressure in all "5" tires? Are you referring to the spare tire as well?
Old 07-20-14, 09:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlem1Der
I'm having the same issue with my 08. Forgive my ignorance on this next question as I'm new to the Lexus platform, but why is everyone saying to check the pressure in all "5" tires? Are you referring to the spare tire as well?
Yes, some ES350's came with full size spares and sometimes that's the one causing the problem.
Old 07-20-14, 09:42 AM
Harlem1Der
Driver School Candidate

ahh I see...and you're speaking of the tire as it's in the trunk or for when it's actually put on as a replacement?
Old 07-20-14, 10:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlem1Der
ahh I see...and you're speaking of the tire as it's in the trunk or for when it's actually put on as a replacement?
In the trunk....
Old 07-29-14, 04:11 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

Sorry for the lack of response. I have not had a chance to get back up to Costco to have them look at the sensors yet. I have lived with the light for so long, I guess it has fallen low on my priority list. Since all of the sensors are new, I'm assuming they just did not set them up correctly. I would think that their scanner tool would be able to tell me if one of the new ones was bad. I'll be sure to report what I find.
On a side note: Does anyone know if Autozone (or other DIY auto parts store) has a TPMS tool? Since they will pull OBD2 codes for free, I was just curious if maybe they had the equip for this as well.

Quick Reply: TPMS still flashing with new tires and sensors