ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

de-badged anyone?

Old 01-04-14, 01:14 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de-badged anyone?

Thinking about debadging my ES350, I did some search but only found people did to their IS or new gen ES350s. Is there any holes behind the rear Lexus and ES350 badges on 08 ES350s? Any info would be appreciated!
Old 01-04-14, 07:59 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

this is what the svc man says about removal
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
02.pdf (55.3 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-04-14, 09:01 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

from what my dealer told me when i had the es repaired back last year i asked them about deleting the Lexus and ES350 badging and painting the Front and rear Emblem to match the royal ruby paint
they told me that there where no holes but there is the chance that since they are adhered on when they come off there might be some discoloring or marking on the trunk where they where and it would need to be repainted if the buff didnt get it out
Old 01-04-14, 09:56 AM
MikePA
Rookie

Originally Posted by nevernu
this is what the svc man says about removal
Piano wire?!?!?

Fishing line will work just as well and not risk scratching the paint. Dental floss can be used as well, if you take your time. And, yes, depending on the age of the car, there can be a ghost image left, once the badge is removed, that will not buff out. The ghost image looks dumber than leaving the badges on.
Old 01-04-14, 10:36 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePA
Piano wire?!?!?

Fishing line will work just as well and not risk scratching the paint. Dental floss can be used as well, if you take your time. And, yes, depending on the age of the car, there can be a ghost image left, once the badge is removed, that will not buff out. The ghost image looks dumber than leaving the badges on.

Hey Lexus is a luxury car hence piano wire, that fishing line stuff is for Fords and dental floss for caddys
Old 01-04-14, 10:44 AM
MikePA
Rookie

Hey Lexus is a luxury car hence piano wire, that fishing line stuff is for Fords and dental floss for caddys
Now that's funny.

I debadged my emerald green 1999 Acura TL when it was 4 years old. Both the '3.2 TL' and 'A in a circle' badges came off with fishing line. The '3.2 TL' left slight ghost. The 'A in a circle' left a much worse ghost and I ended up putting the badge back on. IMO, debadging is a waste of time and doing it on a car that's 2 years old or older will leave a ghost of the badge.

Last edited by MikePA; 01-05-14 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-04-14, 11:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you're de-badging an LS I recommend using harp wire.
Old 01-04-14, 12:17 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qboy3388
Thinking about debadging my ES350, I did some search but only found people did to their IS or new gen ES350s. Is there any holes behind the rear Lexus and ES350 badges on 08 ES350s? Any info would be appreciated!
NO!!! The humanity!
Why would you de-badge a Lexus?
Its one of the reasons I bought one in the first place. Lol...
Old 01-04-14, 05:33 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Thx a lot guys! It's good to know there's no holes but man... ghost... I have my car inside a garage most of the time and my car's silver but the car is 6 year old after all. I wonder if the ghost is going to be noticeable. Ahhh... don't know what to do now lol...
Old 01-04-14, 05:34 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by iceblast
NO!!! The humanity!
Why would you de-badge a Lexus?
Its one of the reasons I bought one in the first place. Lol...
lol... cuz I care more about how my car looks than showing I have a Lexus.
Old 01-04-14, 06:03 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

There are no holes behind the lower lexus or es350 emblems on the trunk. I took them off after 5 years or so and there was only a small difference in paint fade. Couldnt notice it unless it was a foot away in direct sunlight with no dust on the trunk. Got less noticeable after a while on my black sapphire.
Make sure to heat up the adhesive backing and use dental floss as any other methods can and will scratch the paint.
The hardest part is getting the adhesive off the car/emblem and then cutting the 3m tape to the emblem size.
Old 01-04-14, 09:22 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by xanderES
There are no holes behind the lower lexus or es350 emblems on the trunk. I took them off after 5 years or so and there was only a small difference in paint fade. Couldnt notice it unless it was a foot away in direct sunlight with no dust on the trunk. Got less noticeable after a while on my black sapphire.
Make sure to heat up the adhesive backing and use dental floss as any other methods can and will scratch the paint.
The hardest part is getting the adhesive off the car/emblem and then cutting the 3m tape to the emblem size.
Thx for sharing your experience xanderES! I'm still debating doing it or not but I really like the clean look. And about cutting the 3m tape to the emblem size ... You were talking about if I ever decide to put the emblems back ?
Old 01-05-14, 03:37 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Yes. I thought you were planning to paint the emblems also, but that was ThumperPup. Its a lot harder than you would think cutting the tape to size with the adhesive behind the emblem looking oem. Im a bit of a perfectionist though and doubt things like that would bother other people.
If you decide to remove the emblems use either WD40 or Goo-Gone. I found wd40 to work best, but it is still a p.i.t.a.. EIther way you'll have to heat up the adhesive and sort of roll as much as you can off as both wont work well on the full thickness of the adhesive.
Old 01-05-14, 03:45 AM
MikePA
Rookie

...and you'll go through all this work to remove the badge and the adhesive only to find out there's a ghost image and decide to put the badges back on, assuming you have not damaged them when you took them off.
Old 01-05-14, 04:04 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

This "ghost image" everyone keeps throwing around is nothing more than just paint fade due to to weathering. A good buff can minimize/remove, waxing the car will hide it, or by leaving it alone it will fade over time. Not much to be worried about imo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: de-badged anyone?