ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

VVT-i Oil Pipe LSC 9LH

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 07:25 AM
greenchile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT-i Oil Pipe LSC 9LH

In the process of learning about my new 2008, I came across all the threads on Club Lexus regarding the VVT-i oil pipe issue, referred to as the Limited Service Campaign 9LH by Lexus. My car's service records show that it was performed and I can see the rubber hose with the yellow stripe on it, which means it was replaced.

I've also read on other forums and websites that after a certain production date, the vehicles with the 2RG-FE motor were coming from the factory with a one-piece, all-metal pipe. But it seems that all those cars built before that time only get the "updated" rubber hose section to replace the defective rubber section.

There have been some instances of the "updated" hose leaking. So I'm thinking about just buying the all-metal tube and replacing the current one with that all-metal one. I'm curious what the experiences of '07 and '08 owners (ES350, RX350, Highlander, Camry, Avalon, RAV4, Sienna) on this forum have been regarding this issue. My car had the hose replaced in 3/2010 when it had 10k miles on it. It now has 33k miles on it. I can't see any evidence of oil leakage at the top of the hose but the bottom of the rubber section is hidden under a cover I can't quickly remove to inspect it.

- Marc
Old 12-18-13, 12:14 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the updated part will not need to be replaced again. Most members here all got the half metal half rubber replacement instead of full metal. I live close to one of the largest lexus dealerships in the US and was still only offered a rubber replacement. As with any rubber component they will degrade over the years and will have a possibility of failure but you shouldn't lose sleep over it. Most the engine hoses on the car are rubber and most will stay intact for the life of the car.
Old 12-18-13, 06:34 AM
greenchile
Driver School Candidate

If it was carrying something like tranny or PS fluid at lower temps and lower pressures, I'd probably not be worried about it. But carrying very hot engine oil at pressures high enough to activate the VVT-i mechanisms is what has me a little concerned. Add in the fact that they use those weak spring clamps instead of something stronger. Those are fine for vacuum lines but high pressure oil lines should have something a little stronger. I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on the hose whenever I'm under the hood. It's going to take many more years and miles before that rubber degrades enough to start causing issue.
Old 06-20-23, 10:40 AM
GotHeem
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenchile
If it was carrying something like tranny or PS fluid at lower temps and lower pressures, I'd probably not be worried about it. But carrying very hot engine oil at pressures high enough to activate the VVT-i mechanisms is what has me a little concerned. Add in the fact that they use those weak spring clamps instead of something stronger. Those are fine for vacuum lines but high pressure oil lines should have something a little stronger. I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on the hose whenever I'm under the hood. It's going to take many more years and miles before that rubber degrades enough to start causing issue.
Hi there, considering this is a decade old thread, can you share how the "improved" rubber replacement hose has worked out for you? I just picked up a 2008 RX350 a couple months ago and also have that updated "improved" rubber hose. I'm about to buy the all-metal vvdi line but would like to see if replacing it can wait due to financial reasons.
Old 06-20-23, 11:23 AM
June1978
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHeem
Hi there, considering this is a decade old thread, can you share how the "improved" rubber replacement hose has worked out for you? I just picked up a 2008 RX350 a couple months ago and also have that updated "improved" rubber hose. I'm about to buy the all-metal vvdi line but would like to see if replacing it can wait due to financial reasons.
My 2007 ES350 had the improved rubber hose since 2010. I had no issues but I went ahead and replaced it with the all metal hose a few weeks ago for peace of mind. I like the car and want to try to maintain it the best I can. Not to mention this hose leaking/breaking can be disastrous. Your engine will pretty much die on the spot from what I'm hearing.

I'd replace it if you plan on keeping the car for a while
The following users liked this post:
rmeyers2003 (12-18-23)
Old 06-20-23, 12:38 PM
GotHeem
Rookie

Originally Posted by June1978
My 2007 ES350 had the improved rubber hose since 2010. I had no issues but I went ahead and replaced it with the all metal hose a few weeks ago for peace of mind. I like the car and want to try to maintain it the best I can. Not to mention this hose leaking/breaking can be disastrous. Your engine will pretty much die on the spot from what I'm hearing.

I'd replace it if you plan on keeping the car for a while
Just ordered the all-metal VVTi oil line and gaskets so I should get them later this week. They replaced the bad rubber hose with the replacement in 2009 so yeah that’s a long time ago. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-20-23, 01:04 PM
June1978
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHeem
Just ordered the all-metal VVTi oil line and gaskets so I should get them later this week. They replaced the bad rubber hose with the replacement in 2009 so yeah that’s a long time ago. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I believe your cooler line is in the front. Make sure you get the part from Lexus/Toyota!!!! It's only $30-$40

Old 06-20-23, 01:09 PM
GotHeem
Rookie

I believe your cooler line is in the front. Make sure you get the part from Lexus/Toyota!!!! It's only $30-$40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4WGttJYhE&t=111s
My RX350 doesn’t have the oil cooler line in front of the engine. It does have the “improved” rubber portion of the VVTi line (campaign 9LH) but I’m replacing that with the all-metal one.
Old 06-21-23, 12:03 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4WGttJYhE&t=111s

I did this yesterday on a customers car.
Old 12-16-23, 10:16 AM
Nur
3rd Gear

I bought a 2013 Rx-350 and has 195000 km or 12k miles.The car is doing absolutely amazing. I am concerned if I should change the vvt oil line to a metal one. My front oil cooler lines are metal, I dont know if somebody change or was it like that from factory. Also there is a light tick noise from the engine compartment at cold start in the morning, It reduce once rpm drops. The noise doesn't increase when I full throttle it, Idk what could be the issue or if I should worry about.
Thanks!
Old 12-16-23, 11:54 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

I think your VVT-i line is all metal but I can check if you send me the VIN.

Regarding the ticking noise, it can be a lifter.

I would put a can of Seafoam inside the engine, drive it for a couple hundred miles and then replace the oil/filter.
Old 12-16-23, 12:05 PM
Nur
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ESh
I think your VVT-i line is all metal but I can check if you send me the VIN.

Regarding the ticking noise, it can be a lifter.

I would put a can of Seafoam inside the engine, drive it for a couple hundred miles and then replace the oil/filter.
VIN: 2T2BK1BA2DC211271
Sure I can add seafoam. But since the noise isn't increasing with rpm, do you think it would be lifters?
Old 12-17-23, 04:07 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

The VVT oil line is allmetal, I just checked it.

If the ticking does not follow the engine rpm then it’s not the lifter.
Old 12-18-23, 11:01 AM
Nur
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ESh
The VVT oil line is allmetal, I just checked it.

If the ticking does not follow the engine rpm then it’s not the lifter.
Thanks for confirming it. I wonder where the noise is coming from. I will try taking it to a Lexus service center or a mechanic to get it checked. There is no other issue with the car just the noise is annoying in the morning.
Old 12-18-23, 11:11 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Take a video and let us hear the noise.

Quick Reply: VVT-i Oil Pipe LSC 9LH