ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

trade the ES for LS or M37X

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 05:52 PM
nelsonatio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade the ES for LS or M37X

So for the heck of it I stopped in the local Infiniti dealership just to see what Infiniti had to offer before I started to get serious with the LS. I liked it....ALOT..I liked the m56x even more. I am all about lexus. the comfort, the library like cabin, its smooth ride etc. but the Infiniti snapped me out of it all. ( I am 27 ) and as I enjoy a smooth silky calm ride I felt the teenager side in me coming to a nice compromise with my mature adult side. I know this is a lexus forum and opinions will favor Lexus. but does anyone see an issue with me taking a break from lexus for 2-3 years and going with a m37x? I test drove it hard. it also snowed 6 inches today and it cuts snow with no problem.

the LS I like looks identical to my Lexus ES. its a 2010 LS460 awd with 47k $39000 rides great
the Infiniti M37x I really liked is a 2011 with deluxe touring & premium pkg. 40k $29000
(black with almond interior) the M interior and technology puts the 2010 LS to shame. but I am a bit of a badge snob. as Infiniti is still not a prestigious as lexus but a $10k price difference is kinda a big deal.

guess my question is does anyone have info on infiniti reliability? any issues with the 2011 M model? long term issues? personal opinion on what to get? any and all answers would help. thanks guys!
Old 12-14-13, 06:10 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Lexus LS had won pretty much all reliability awards so from that perspective it is a winner. Fun wise M is certainly up there for me as well, before I got the ES, I test drove G35x and considered it seriously. The only reason I discounted it was cause used ones looked used whereas the Lexus looked almost new even though it was older than most G's I've seen...

If you really want the LS, I would go and haggle
Old 12-14-13, 06:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You're crazy I tell you, crazy!

No really though, get what you want! If you honestly like the infiniti more, then buy it! You have to drive it everyday, not us.

Last edited by hypervish; 12-14-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 07:11 PM
nelsonatio
Driver School Candidate

ha!. I guess your right. I am just at that point where I need someone to twist my arm over one or the other.
Old 12-14-13, 11:09 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of reliability the LS is pretty solid. The only thing I have heard is that when the air suspension goes out it is costly to replace. Infiniti has never been that amazing in terms of build quality though. The G series had tons of problems for the life of the line. I have never looked at the M series when buying a new car, so i didnt do research on common problems but I have heard from coworkers that it has massive body roll. Im guessing if youre going from an ES and looking at an LS that the body roll issue is not a problem. If you only plan on owning it for 2-3 and it saves you 10k I dont see a problem with buying it. If you were buying a car to keep indefinitely the LS would be my choice. Go with whichever suits you!
Old 12-15-13, 08:17 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $0.285837. (Inflation). As for infinity, I'm not a big fan. My brother in law has one. Its nice. I'm just not a big Nissan fan. My same feelings for Acura. Not a big Honda fan.

As for the ES to an LS. I admit I'm old. Been buying and driving new and used cars for 35 years. I test drove both new and used ES and LS before picking up the ES I have now. I didn't notice a big size difference in the LS. I also found the luxury, features, and comfort to be about the same. So basically, I couldn't justify in my mind the price difference; new or used; in an LS over the ES.

But my choice was also based on where I live. We geta lot of snow in wyoming. A RWD is definitely a deal breaker for an LS or GS. This part of the country, to find an AWD version really jumped up the price. But an ES with FWD was perfect. If the snow is bad enough to make an AWD the preference, then that is why just about everyone here also has a 4X4 pickup or at least an SUV. Now, if you live in SOCAL, Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc. The the right price for an LS RWD would definitely be an option. But again, I couldn't see the advantage of the extra price for the LS vs the ES. The V6 is plenty powerful and the size and comfort are comparable to each other. Then again, I grew up poor, so even though I have plenty of money now and buy my cars in cash, I'm very frugal with my purchases. Maybe that's why I have plenty of money . now. Again, just my $0.2848488.
Old 12-15-13, 09:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

According to Consumer Reports the Predicted Reliability for MY 2010, LS and ES is Well Above Average and Infiniti M series is Average.
Old 12-15-13, 08:08 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know much about the reliability of the M or G's, but it must be decent since it is Nissan right?

I really like the technology that is pushed by Infiniti/Nissan, you get all the bells and whistles up front, as soon as it hits the market. I find Lexus/Toyota is slow to adopt.

As for style, the M is definetely nice. I'm not that into the G. They are both fun to drive, as I have test drove them.
The Lexus brand oozes opulence, that's for sure, tends to impress the ladies etc. I like the LS, but again, repairs and maintenance scares me, plus it is winter for a good 5 months here, and like it was said before, RWD is no good for that.
Old 12-15-13, 08:43 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
Don't know much about the reliability of the M or G's, but it must be decent since it is Nissan right?

I really like the technology that is pushed by Infiniti/Nissan, you get all the bells and whistles up front, as soon as it hits the market. I find Lexus/Toyota is slow to adopt.

As for style, the M is definetely nice. I'm not that into the G. They are both fun to drive, as I have test drove them.
The Lexus brand oozes opulence, that's for sure, tends to impress the ladies etc. I like the LS, but again, repairs and maintenance scares me, plus it is winter for a good 5 months here, and like it was said before, RWD is no good for that.
As mentioned before; and I can definitely concur with; Toyota/Lexus is probably tops when it comes to reliability and dependability of their vehicles. 200-300,000 miles is "Normal". I've owned quite a few toyotas since the 80's. As far as the technology "pushed" goes; I can't really imagine a feature, technology, gizmo, luxury, etc... that my Lexus ES doesn't have. Matter of fact, it probably has a lot more technology than it probably needs. I spent 20 minutes pushing a button and hearing a buzzing noise. Finally realized it was a "Sun Shade" going up and down in the back window. My ES has every possible feature, except the full glass roof. It has just the normal sun roof. But I really can't think of a technology that it's lacking. Motor, Tranny, or interior.
Old 12-27-13, 09:07 AM
Rogarven
Rookie

Originally Posted by christcorp
Just my $0.285837. (Inflation). As for infinity, I'm not a big fan. My brother in law has one. Its nice. I'm just not a big Nissan fan. My same feelings for Acura. Not a big Honda fan.

As for the ES to an LS. I admit I'm old. Been buying and driving new and used cars for 35 years. I test drove both new and used ES and LS before picking up the ES I have now. I didn't notice a big size difference in the LS. I also found the luxury, features, and comfort to be about the same. So basically, I couldn't justify in my mind the price difference; new or used; in an LS over the ES.

But my choice was also based on where I live. We geta lot of snow in wyoming. A RWD is definitely a deal breaker for an LS or GS. This part of the country, to find an AWD version really jumped up the price. But an ES with FWD was perfect. If the snow is bad enough to make an AWD the preference, then that is why just about everyone here also has a 4X4 pickup or at least an SUV. Now, if you live in SOCAL, Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc. The the right price for an LS RWD would definitely be an option. But again, I couldn't see the advantage of the extra price for the LS vs the ES. The V6 is plenty powerful and the size and comfort are comparable to each other. Then again, I grew up poor, so even though I have plenty of money now and buy my cars in cash, I'm very frugal with my purchases. Maybe that's why I have plenty of money . now. Again, just my $0.2848488.
I didn't grow up poor but I want to be wise with car purchases and thoughtful as well.
Old 01-06-14, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The M is a fun car, I've driven several of them. Compared to an ES, the M is an upgrade. But there is no contest compared to am LS. The LS is much more refined, better materials, it's on a whole different level.
Old 01-07-14, 07:05 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Infinitis do not age well. Plasticy rattling interiors that don't hold up well and scratch etc.

The only one I'd even consider is the Q50, and even then they're not THAT much better than a GS or LS. I'd take a CPO or even used GS over a new Q50 all day every day and twice on tuesday.

As to an LS, you're in Illinois and you guys get battered pretty bad in the winter like we do in NE. If you can't get an AWD LS, forget about it completely unless you plan to buy a winter beater.

That being said, if it came down to a used GS awd, used LS awd, or used M awd, personally I'd take the GS because I love them, but the LS is the best car of the 3. Bonus points go to CPO on any of the 3. I think it's financially foolish to buy any car brand new off the lot when you can get a 1-2 year old CPO in perfectly fine condition and not take as big a depreciation hit. I can't imagine it feels very good to spend $60k on a car up front and have it be worth $30k on a trade in 2 years later.
Old 01-12-14, 12:11 PM
sanjaysdca
Driver School Candidate

I have had two infinitis and have they both were great. Currently we own a 2012 es, 2008 mdx, and 2011 M
In some respect they are better cars compared to lexus.
Lexus are refined and numb.
M is a great compromise and best of the three
MDX is family car.
M and MDX has held up better than ES (rattles, wind noise, leather)

M has been most reliable, followed by acura, followed by Lexus.
2012 lexus has lot of cost cutting features that should not be there in luxury brand
For example garage door opener and homelink buttons are not lit.

M is as much nissan as lexus is toyota.
Infact there is no Car in infiniti lineup that shares platform with nissan.
ES platform is same as camry ( pre 2012) and avalon now.

On suv side they do share jx to pathfinder, lx to land crus, etc.

In the end both are good. Buy you like.

Last edited by sanjaysdca; 01-12-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-12-14, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

To be fair you're comparing the entry level Lexus with the top of the line Infiniti. The M is $10k-$15k more than the ES. I like the M, but compare it to a GS and the comparison is not as favorable. Compare the ES to a G, and the positives aren't there for the Infiniti.

Acura/Hondas do age well, but they are so bland.

As for Infiniti not having cars shared platforms with Nissans that's really not true. The JX/QX60 is a Pathfinder, the FX/QX70 as well as the EX and M share a platform with the 350Z, the QX56/80 was a Nissan Armada, now it's a Nissan patrol. Their switchgear and infotainment are also almost identical between Infiniti and Nissan.The 3.7L V6 is heavily shared. Long history of platform sharing and rebranding with Infiniti, moreso even than with Lexus seeing that really every model is on a platform shared with Nissan, and there are no Infiniti specific motors. The IS, GS, LS, RC...all on Lexus only platforms.

Lexus's arent numb anymore either...

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-12-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 07:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

In the summer of 2012 when I was looking to replace my wife’s Volvo I initially wanted a 10-11 ES based on riding in a buddy’s 11 ES, but decided to wait and look at the 13ES. Also compared the 13 Infiniti G and M as my brother in law works at the Nissan plant and they have a great family purchase program. The G was too small, but I really liked the M and probably would have gone that route had I been 40 instead of 60. We could have gotten the M with a sticker of about 10,000 more than the ES for only 2-3 thousand more. However the ES more suited our needs now (and my wife has loved it).

As for Infiniti’s aging, last fall my son bought a 2003 G35 sedan which is a great car and fun to drive (on the Z platform with the same engine). But what hit me is the depreciation. He sold a 2003 Honda Element with 90k miles that had a MSRP of 22,000 for 9,500, and bought a 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan with 90k miles that had a MSRP of 32,000 for 7,000 (after repairing a couple of known issues he has 7,600 in it).

Quick Reply: trade the ES for LS or M37X