ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Driver's Door Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 12:54 PM
jagiovana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Door Rattle

I have a 2007 ES 350, the driver's door doesn't seem to be a snug as it ought to be. Hitting even small bumps seems to cause a jarring of the door. It's driving me nuts... Any ideas on how to snug it up?

Thanks
Old 11-11-13, 01:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jagiovana
I have a 2007 ES 350, the driver's door doesn't seem to be a snug as it ought to be. Hitting even small bumps seems to cause a jarring of the door. It's driving me nuts... Any ideas on how to snug it up?

Thanks
Maybe If you are out of warranty, check with a body shop to see if they can help you out. It might just be an adjustment.
Old 11-11-13, 01:21 PM
jagiovana
Driver School Candidate

LexBob2, not a bad idea. As it turns out, I already have an appointment to leave it with a body shop next Monday, to fix some door dings and bumper blemishes. The dear wife has been driving it the last several years - I just got the 2007 back after buying a new one for her.
Old 11-11-13, 07:08 PM
jagiovana
Driver School Candidate

No DIY ideas? Anyone, anyone...?
Old 11-11-13, 07:14 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

argghhh i know what u mean. its such a quiet car that even the tinyest rattle drives u nuts. i took the drivers seat belt pillar apart and sound proofed everything in there but i still get a little rattle when i go over manhole covers etc. I think its the window doing a little rattle but I haven't taken the drivers door apart yet. When I took it to the dealer he suggested | don't drive over manhole covers. it was not covered by my extended warranty.

edit i sent u a pm re drivers door service manual stuff

Last edited by nevernu; 11-11-13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 12:40 AM
chbow
Driver

Originally Posted by nevernu
argghhh i know what u mean. its such a quiet car that even the tinyest rattle drives u nuts. i took the drivers seat belt pillar apart and sound proofed everything in there but i still get a little rattle when i go over manhole covers etc. I think its the window doing a little rattle but I haven't taken the drivers door apart yet. When I took it to the dealer he suggested | don't drive over manhole covers. it was not covered by my extended warranty.

edit i sent u a pm re drivers door service manual stuff
I have a rattle on my passenger side, can't figure out if its the door or seat belt pillar either. How hard is it to pull apart (pillar)? Worth it?

Last edited by chbow; 11-12-13 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-12-13, 07:44 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jagiovana
No DIY ideas? Anyone, anyone...?
Is it the door, door panel or something in the door? A mis-aligned door is out of my league but the other 2 are simple. Find longer of the 2 threads I have started and it covers removing the door panel. Takes about 5 minutes. You don't even have to remove it all of the way if you don't mind laying down and looking up from the ground. There are numerous wire bundles that could have come loose. Your panel may need one of the bolts/screws tightened. Something may be loose inside the door.

I'll be removing mine in the next few days to install some replacement door speakers. My wife fried the Phoenix Gold mids and the 22 year old mids that I threw in there aren't quite cutting it.
Old 11-12-13, 08:57 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What I gather is that the door opens after hitting a bump? If that's the case, check the latch itself. On my IS, the latch bolts (hex head) were loose and caused the latch to be loose and door to rattle. Check if they are loose (by finger or screwdriver with hex head). If they are, the push the latch inboard and tighten. Also can do this if they are tight and that will make the door snugger...

Other thing to look at is the striker on the pillar, see if it is loose or if it moved outwards. If so, remove the plastic cover from it and loosen it a bit and then move it towards the inside of the car. You'll need a hex head for this too...

Lastly, the hinges could be messed up, possibly from leaning on the door often or pulling on it when exiting/entering the car. If so then it'd be pulled up at the hinge area...
Old 11-12-13, 12:14 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

thanks to Robert_J for reminding me of the door panel removal process in his non nav radio thread
Old 11-12-13, 04:26 PM
jagiovana
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, guys, for the ideas. I just can't pinpoint where the sounds are coming from - whether the door, or inside the door - definitely not the seat belt pillar (I think...). I tried moving the door latch pillar inward - went to HomeDepot and bought the T30 tool - I didn't remove the bolts entirely, just loosened and tried to move the piece inward - was only able to move it slightly, but then as I retightened the bolts, the piece just settled back to its starting position. I also tried putting a rubber spacer under the rubber bumper at the lower portion of the door, but that was no help. The hinges are fine, and the door doesn't come unlatched - just some darned jarring sound, even on small bumps.

I reviewed posts on removing the door panels - will buy some sound deadening sheets/pads and install, once I get my courage up.
Old 11-12-13, 07:47 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your door panel is not connected to the door with the push clips. Either they're broken, missing or simply not pushed in. If it is a wire rattle you should head to your local sound shop and buy some foam wire insulation with a glue backing and do it yourself. If neither of these are the case and your car was in an accident a DIY isnt going to cut it.
Refer to post #7.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ld-thread.html