ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Plastic film on the steering wheel coming off

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 08:54 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of things you can do to minimize this. First, try not to use the buttons exclusively. Use the manual controls when possible. Second, with a damp towel wipe off the buttons on the wheel after use. The salty oils from your fingers are accelerating the decomposition of the plastic. Keeping them free from these oils, will prolong the life.
Old 04-01-14, 09:00 AM
johncoby
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And don't touch the steering wheel. Drive with your knees which would free your hands to make phone calls and eat a Whatburger with fries.
Old 04-01-14, 09:02 AM
johncoby
Driver

Default This isn't cracking

It is a thin film of pliable plastic that has lost it's adhesive to the part. It is peeling off.
Old 04-01-14, 09:24 AM
johncoby
Driver

I am going to try vinyl paint. I just want it to look less ghetto.
Old 04-01-14, 12:15 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Let us know how it goes! I too am interested in an alternate (read cheaper) solution to this problem...
Old 09-12-14, 12:46 PM
sydney626
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peeling on steering wheel buttons

JohnCoby, did you try the vinyl paint? I have a bad case of this peeling going on and would love to fix it.
Old 09-12-14, 01:30 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Think Lexus should start figuring out how they can improve the interior finishes. That
is just not acceptable!
Old 09-13-14, 05:08 AM
ntu3012014
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johncoby
See photo. My 2007 ES350 has a plastic coating over the radio controls that is peeling off. Looks ghetto. Is there a product I could use to replace this or at least make it look less ghetto?
Check this, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-2010-a-2.html
Old 02-03-15, 10:04 AM
Bonzo76
Driver School Candidate

Default Peeling audio switches

Just got an enhanced warranty letter from Lexus about replacing cracked or sticky/melting dashboards on my 2007 ES350. I don't have this issue but I do have the peeling of the coating on the audio switches on the steering column. Coating bubbled up and about 90% has come off.

Called Lexus but the peeling of this coating or anything else on the steering wheel is not covered under this enhanced warranty. I also would like a solution because $400 is a little steep to replace something that will only annoy the next owner.
Old 02-18-15, 05:57 PM
kcstatham
Driver School Candidate

Default Not a 2007 Problem

I have a 2008 ES350, and started having this problem about 2 months ago. Also, the button on the back of my car to open the trunk has melted off. This is a garage kept car. The buttons on the steering wheel are so frustrating!
Old 02-21-15, 03:45 AM
braker42
Driver School Candidate

Default lack of quality

Lexus does not stand by their poor quality steering column button problem. They want $320 for parts and $250 to install new parts to replace the unsightly peeling buttons. I called their corporate office and they refused to take responsibility for defective parts. Very disappointing.
Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i think that is a common issues i have heard some that are not happy with the way Lexus did the buttons on this
i have yet to have a problem i think you need to replace the entire steering wheel to get those replaced but not sure
Old 02-21-15, 03:50 AM
braker42
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus lack of quality

My gosh! I have the peeling buttons and the melted trunk button issue! Lexus does not stand by the peeling issue so I imagine we're out of luck on the melted trunk button too. My lexus es350 has been garage kept as well. They are unable to blame it on The climate.
Originally Posted by kcstatham
I have a 2008 ES350, and started having this problem about 2 months ago. Also, the button on the back of my car to open the trunk has melted off. This is a garage kept car. The buttons on the steering wheel are so frustrating!
Old 02-22-15, 08:49 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There are definitely a few older posts on this subject..

Lexus did in fact "acknowledge" a defect in a manner of speaking as they did actually issue a TSB on this specific issue.
The reason I know this is that when I owned my 2007 es350 and my steering wheel buttons started "peeling", both of my buttons were replaced under warranty at no cost.
That being said, as I recall these TSB's do have a statute of limitations....usually within the 4yr 50k warranty unless stated otherwise.

I imagine you could use that as some evidence.
Of course, if you are outside of the warranty period I imagine it is possible your dealer could potentially fix it for you as an accommodation of sorts.
Good luck .
Old 02-23-15, 03:29 AM
braker42
Driver School Candidate

Default damage is done

My 2007 es350 has had the peeling buttons and melted trunk button since we'll before 50k Miles. I wonder if competing brands require drivers to do the below to maintain the integrity of the interior. It is sad that Lexus does not support this defect. I received the cracked dashboard notice too. Corp confirmed that it does not cover the buttons. They expect owners to pay $600 to repair the faulty buttons in Maryland.
Originally Posted by MDames2
There are a couple of things you can do to minimize this. First, try not to use the buttons exclusively. Use the manual controls when possible. Second, with a damp towel wipe off the buttons on the wheel after use. The salty oils from your fingers are accelerating the decomposition of the plastic. Keeping them free from these oils, will prolong the life.
Old 10-08-15, 06:44 AM
johncoby
Driver

Originally Posted by kcstatham
OMG! The button on my trunk melted also!!!

Quick Reply: Plastic film on the steering wheel coming off