Default Are BG Products useful ?

Thread moved to 2010 model forum

Sorry

Last edited by Hextejas; 10-31-13 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 10-30-13, 05:10 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car goes to the dealer for those types of services.

John
Old 10-30-13, 05:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Hextejas
If it is only marginally more than the Lexus service then I think I will get it.
I will need to get them done before 36,000 miles and repeat them every 30,000 miles in order to get the warranty.

So, what do you think ?
Most people go to independent shops to save money, not spend more. If it's going to cost more anyways, why not just take it to Lexus and not worry about any possible warranty voiding service?

Also, I'm impressed you have 30k miles on a 2013 ES already.
Old 10-30-13, 06:22 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had these done
1) Brakes $115.00
2) Power steering $115.00

and these were suggested
1) Cooling system $149.00 - $169.00
2) Fuel/Air $179.00
3) Transmission $269.00
I'm surprised that you needed your brakes done this early. All of those other services did not need to be performed, especially this early. Power steering flush I guess around 100k; it is a closed system. The cooling system is always flushed whenever the timing belt and water pump are replaced, generally around 75-125k depending on the vehicle. The trans is normally flushed around 75-100k as well. You absolutely didn't need the majority of those now. Your car doesn't have enough wear/tear on those fluids to warrant a flush on any of them. The fuel/air thing they suggested is simply just cleaning out the throttle body and adding fuel additives to the system.

On my 05 A8 that has 120k miles on it now, over in the audiworld we always flushed the cooling system only when the timing belt service came around (75-85k). Trans flush are always dependent on the person; some never flush it, most who do flush it around 75-120k. Brakes are always changed whenever needed, although I find it hard to believe the 350 needed them changed this early, unless you drive pretty hard.

As to the comment on always going to the dealer.. (stealer), they will always recommend doing preventative items that don't need to be done at all or at that time. Indy shops don't void any warranties as long as they do the service correctly and in the general business. A great example is Lexus charges what $100-120 for a synthetic oil change on our cars? When the oil alone costs only $23 at Wallyworld (Mobil 1 0W-20 5qts), $10 filter +/-, and the indy dealer or any other reputable shop will charge only $10 to do the service if you don't want to DIY. So your saving over 50% of the cost on an oil change alone. Relate that into any other service they want you to do, and if it is necessary you can buy the parts yourself or have your indy generally do it for 30-40% cheaper. These cars are extremely easy to work on IMO. Coming from my 6.0L W12 with the tightest engine bay I've ever seen, the preventative maintenance needed on this simple V6 doesn't seem like anything too difficult to work on. After all it is the same engine that Toyota/Lexus has been using for years. The 300H may be the exception as I'm no pro at hybrids in any way and they may require something more with the electrical systems. Overall in general the standard maintenance: oil changes, flushes, belts etc. are just as easy to work on as any other car; thanks to Lexus/ Toyota keeping the consumer in mind...
Hope it helps!

Last edited by Brozee; 10-30-13 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-30-13, 06:47 AM
Hextejas
Driver School Candidate

You folks have been useful and I appreciate the comments.
I had forgotten to include the model number which is a 2010.

The reason I went to this shop in the 1st place was that they had a promotional coupon supporting the local high school football program. Get $50.00 off for $10.00.
So why not.
Old 10-30-13, 06:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
My car goes to the dealer for those types of services.

John
Why pay more??
Old 10-30-13, 06:57 AM
Hextejas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brozee

I'm surprised that you needed your brakes done this early. Hope it helps!
I misspoke in that it was the brake fluid that was replaced.
According to Lexus, they also do that at 30k miles.

In order to get a lifetime warranty on these systems, BG asks me to service them every 30k miles.

And yes, it helps.
Old 10-30-13, 08:13 AM
Brozee
Rookie

A brake flush at 30k although recommended is just taking out new good fluid and putting new good fluid back in. With brake systems being a closed system and the new rubber that they use nowadays; moisture and contaminants don't get in like they used to. I've always done it at 100k or whenever I changed my brakes at higher mileage. But I'd never do it at random 30k intervals. That is unless you track your car; which with this you won't.
Old 10-30-13, 01:51 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you discussing these 2010 ES maintenance care issues on this 2013+ Forum?
Old 10-30-13, 02:15 PM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brozee
I'm surprised that you needed your brakes done this early. All of those other services did not need to be performed, especially this early. Power steering flush I guess around 100k; it is a closed system. The cooling system is always flushed whenever the timing belt and water pump are replaced, generally around 75-125k depending on the vehicle. The trans is normally flushed around 75-100k as well. You absolutely didn't need the majority of those now. Your car doesn't have enough wear/tear on those fluids to warrant a flush on any of them. The fuel/air thing they suggested is simply just cleaning out the throttle body and adding fuel additives to the system.

On my 05 A8 that has 120k miles on it now, over in the audiworld we always flushed the cooling system only when the timing belt service came around (75-85k). Trans flush are always dependent on the person; some never flush it, most who do flush it around 75-120k. Brakes are always changed whenever needed, although I find it hard to believe the 350 needed them changed this early, unless you drive pretty hard.

As to the comment on always going to the dealer.. (stealer), they will always recommend doing preventative items that don't need to be done at all or at that time. Indy shops don't void any warranties as long as they do the service correctly and in the general business. A great example is Lexus charges what $100-120 for a synthetic oil change on our cars? When the oil alone costs only $23 at Wallyworld (Mobil 1 0W-20 5qts), $10 filter +/-, and the indy dealer or any other reputable shop will charge only $10 to do the service if you don't want to DIY. So your saving over 50% of the cost on an oil change alone. Relate that into any other service they want you to do, and if it is necessary you can buy the parts yourself or have your indy generally do it for 30-40% cheaper. These cars are extremely easy to work on IMO. Coming from my 6.0L W12 with the tightest engine bay I've ever seen, the preventative maintenance needed on this simple V6 doesn't seem like anything too difficult to work on. After all it is the same engine that Toyota/Lexus has been using for years. The 300H may be the exception as I'm no pro at hybrids in any way and they may require something more with the electrical systems. Overall in general the standard maintenance: oil changes, flushes, belts etc. are just as easy to work on as any other car; thanks to Lexus/ Toyota keeping the consumer in mind...
Hope it helps!
I think the ES300h has less maintenance needs. From my understanding it does not need timing belt replacement, spark plugs are at 120k, and less wear on brakes due to the electric motors doing part of the braking.
Old 10-30-13, 02:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gfr1
Why are you discussing these 2010 ES maintenance care issues on this 2013+ Forum?
I agree. This should be on the 2007-2012 forum. You'd get more input from owners who have done the 30k service.

BTW the ES350 doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain no replacement needed.
Old 10-30-13, 03:35 PM
Brozee
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2

BTW the ES350 doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain no replacement needed.
Good, glad to know that. That's surprising as most V6's are belts.
Old 10-31-13, 06:42 AM
Hextejas
Driver School Candidate

Default Are BG Car Products useful ?

I took my 2010 ES350 to an independent, reliable service center for the 30,000 service and they recommended doing the BG product treatments, saying that I would get some additional lifetime warranty for the systems that were treated.
It seemed a bit costly but I really don't know since this is the 1st major maintenance that we have had done and the Lexus prices for the same maintenance items might have been just as costly. Prices are/were:

I had these done
1) Brakes $115.00
2) Power steering $115.00

and these were suggested
1) Cooling system $149.00 - $169.00
2) Fuel/Air $179.00
3) Transmission $269.00

I don't know how these prices would compare with the normal Lexus service for these items but I am really looking for your experiences with this product/service.

If it is only marginally more than the Lexus service then I think I will get it.
I will need to get them done before 36,000 miles and repeat them every 30,000 miles in order to get the warranty.

So, what do you think ?
Old 10-31-13, 09:06 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Once a year I would only do the injector service (myself) using SeaFoam and once I've used BG44 for it. The other parts I maintain with regular fluid changes using high quality fluids. IMO, there is no need for special treatments that you are looking at. Save your $$ for other things...
Old 10-31-13, 09:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Once a year I would only do the injector service (myself) using SeaFoam and once I've used BG44 for it. The other parts I maintain with regular fluid changes using high quality fluids. IMO, there is no need for special treatments that you are looking at. Save your $$ for other things...
I agree. Regular maintenance with quality products is all that's really needed on modern engines, unless maybe it's an ultra high mileage car. The non-DI 3.5L V6 is a workhorse for Toyota/Lexus. It's used in something like 8 different models and has a very good record for reliability.

Quick Reply: Are BG Products useful ?