ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

switching from regular to synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 07:34 AM
babyduke
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default switching from regular to synthetic oil?

2009 ES350

This car's been getting regular oil change all along. Would it be ok for me to tell the mechanic to do synthetic from now on so that I don't have to get it done less frequently?
Old 10-25-13, 07:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by babyduke
2009 ES350

This car's been getting regular oil change all along. Would it be ok for me to tell the mechanic to do synthetic from now on so that I don't have to get it done less frequently?
You'll be fine. You don't want to mix oil types, but it's OK to go from one to the other with an oil change.
Old 10-25-13, 10:51 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are under any kind of warranty, you will still need to change the oil / filter per manufacturer's prescribed time / mileage requirements. If you extend it, it gives the company an out if a problem comes up with the engine.
Old 10-25-13, 11:29 AM
MikePA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You don't want to mix oil types, but it's OK to go from one to the other with an oil change.
I've never heard of a problem with mixing syn and dino.

Do you have a source for this restriction?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-13, 12:36 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

On my next oil change I am doing the same: dyno -> synthetic... I've done that on every car I've ever owned, all were bought used, and never had any issues and on all cars the engine outlived my ownership...

This is a myth from back in a day that different oil types would mess up the gaskets and cause leaks in various areas... Cars nowadays don't have that issue...
Old 10-25-13, 01:42 PM
MikePA
Rookie

Originally Posted by igzy
This is a myth from back in a day that different oil types would mess up the gaskets and cause leaks in various areas... Cars nowadays don't have that issue...
This matches what I've read.

The only time a syn oil shouldn't be used is during the break in period of a rebuilt/newly built engine.
Old 10-25-13, 02:07 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess the first question is why? If you do changes every 5000 miles this isn't a problem.
Old 10-27-13, 04:32 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePA

The only time a syn oil shouldn't be used is during the break in period of a rebuilt/newly built engine.
Myth. Synthetic 0W20 is the factory fill for all new LexusES, Camrys and Avalons. Synthetic has been factory fill for corvette, mercedes and bmw for some time.
Old 10-27-13, 06:59 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul3637
Myth. Synthetic 0W20 is the factory fill for all new LexusES, Camrys and Avalons. Synthetic has been factory fill for corvette, mercedes and bmw for some time.
Agreed and now days most new cars come with syn oil. I believe in using whatever came in the car new. So in the case of my 2010 ES when I picked it up I asked the service manager what oil they used and I have stuck with it . I also had 6 filters and a dozen Lexus /Titilest ProV1 ***** included in the deal. So I still use Castrol 5W-30 dino oil and only have a sleeve of golf ***** left LOL.
Old 10-27-13, 07:36 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

yup not in the break in period i remember having issues with a northstar in a friends car he put in full syn right after the HG repair and full tear down new pistons and rings
didn't give enough time to it broken in properly
Old 10-27-13, 07:37 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

also why do you want to switch to full synthetic ?
Old 10-27-13, 09:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I bought a new Audi and it came from the factory with synthetic. As you mention, a lot of them come that way these days.
Old 10-27-13, 12:51 PM
MikePA
Rookie

No, it's not a myth. Those car's engines are broken in at the factory.

Nice try but FAIL
Old 10-27-13, 07:22 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

No, it's not a myth. Those car's engines are broken in at the factory.

Nice try but FAIL
true true that just because it comes off the delivery truck with a full syn doesn't mean that the engine technically doesn't have 200 miles on it with dyno oil from break in time
and no the car does not have to have 200 miles on it to have 200 on the engine we should all relize this

just because it says factory fill doesn't mean its the first that went in just means it leaves the factory with a full syn in it
Old 10-28-13, 06:54 AM
unklexus
Rookie

About 2000 new vehicles (Camrys/hybrids) come off the assembly line in Georgetown every workday. For them to build out that many cars and put in break-in oil, take all those cars out for a 100 - 200 mile drive or put them on the dyno/rollers for a while, break the engines in, then take them back over and drain out the break-in oil, put in new synthetic oil, then send the car for final inspection and out to the lot......two thousand times a day. Wow. Impressive. Maybe 3000 gallons of used break-in oil a day. Wonder if they recycle?

Quick Reply: switching from regular to synthetic oil?