ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 07:14 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

As mentioned these engines are design for the overall world market and with the technology they are able to compensate for various grades of gasoline. So with that being said it is up to the owner as to what brand and type is used. For the average driver there is an insignificant difference between regular to premium. The effect of different types is HP and MPG and even then it is not significant. So use what you want but make sure the brand has good detergent capabilities . As for me I use 87 octane and am happy with the overall results.
Old 02-02-14, 08:35 AM
RainaES350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
As mentioned these engines are design for the overall world market and with the technology they are able to compensate for various grades of gasoline. So with that being said it is up to the owner as to what brand and type is used. For the average driver there is an insignificant difference between regular to premium. The effect of different types is HP and MPG and even then it is not significant. So use what you want but make sure the brand has good detergent capabilities . As for me I use 87 octane and am happy with the overall results.
On my next tank, I'm going to experiment with using Shell's 87 regular octane fuel and see how well the car performs...
Old 02-02-14, 08:45 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hence, the reason for letting your car tell you what it likes and not choosing based on what others use.

Also, people need to realize that many States receive a different blend of gasoline for winter use. Your results can change in the summer months.
Old 02-02-14, 10:09 AM
greenchile
Driver School Candidate

In my area, during the winter, we get 10% ethanol blends to reduce air pollution. I'll be interested to see how performance and economy change in the summer.
Old 02-02-14, 12:08 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

My wife's RAV4 does great in the warmer months on 87. In the winter, the MPG go down dramatically. Using 91 in the winter gets MOST of that mileage back.
Old 02-03-14, 12:06 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We too have a V6 RAV4 and the gas mileage nowadays is terrible. Much worse than ES, 20% more, but it is a 5-speed 4WD vs 6-speed FWD. With 15% price difference for prem gas, for me it is not worth a trial to see what the premium would yield.

Also on the ES, the gas mileage with around 0-10F has been about 10% worse than in the fall...
Old 02-03-14, 01:18 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by igzy
We too have a V6 RAV4 and the gas mileage nowadays is terrible. Much worse than ES, 20% more, but it is a 5-speed 4WD vs 6-speed FWD. With 15% price difference for prem gas, for me it is not worth a trial to see what the premium would yield.

Also on the ES, the gas mileage with around 0-10F has been about 10% worse than in the fall...
Even with a 15% price difference; it's WORTH a trial. Not only could you possibly get better gas mileage; which will offset most of the price difference, but your car could actually "Run Better" and thus possibly save you lots of money down the road. Even at $0.40 MORE per gallon, a totally empty tank would only cost you about $7 extra for a tank of gas. If you can't spend that for 2-3 fill ups, to test the difference, then I don't know how you can afford a lexus in the first place.

Not trying to be a *****, but depending on the year, an ES350 is going to cost between $20-$40K. You can't spend $15-$20 to see what gasoline YOUR CAR LIKES? Personally, I don't car as much about the gas mileage as I do with how the car runs. I live in the open country. We have no idea what 70-75 mph is. My MINIMUM cruise control is set for 80mph. Usually closer to 85 mph. If my car runs smoother, better pickup, etc... with 91, then that's what I'll feed it. If it runs the same or better with 89 or 87, then that's what I'll feed it.
Old 02-03-14, 01:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This debate on gas has gone on since the 2007 ES350 came out in the spring of 2006. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either regular or premium in this car, or the 6 Toyota models that use the same engine with regular recommended. Use whatever you are comfortable with and you'll be fine.
Old 02-05-14, 07:01 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by christcorp
Even with a 15% price difference; it's WORTH a trial. Not only could you possibly get better gas mileage; which will offset most of the price difference, but your car could actually "Run Better" and thus possibly save you lots of money down the road. Even at $0.40 MORE per gallon, a totally empty tank would only cost you about $7 extra for a tank of gas. If you can't spend that for 2-3 fill ups, to test the difference, then I don't know how you can afford a lexus in the first place.

Not trying to be a *****, but depending on the year, an ES350 is going to cost between $20-$40K. You can't spend $15-$20 to see what gasoline YOUR CAR LIKES? Personally, I don't car as much about the gas mileage as I do with how the car runs. I live in the open country. We have no idea what 70-75 mph is. My MINIMUM cruise control is set for 80mph. Usually closer to 85 mph. If my car runs smoother, better pickup, etc... with 91, then that's what I'll feed it. If it runs the same or better with 89 or 87, then that's what I'll feed it.
RAV4 ECM is tuned for regular gas whereas ES350 is for premium, i.e. different timing angles for default. Our RAV4 has over 120K miles and it is now too late to trial if premium will get me any better mileage...

As for cruise control settings, at 85 mph I would get such a heavy fine that would offset any savings in gas
Old 02-05-14, 03:09 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by igzy
RAV4 ECM is tuned for regular gas whereas ES350 is for premium, i.e. different timing angles for default. Our RAV4 has over 120K miles and it is now too late to trial if premium will get me any better mileage...

As for cruise control settings, at 85 mph I would get such a heavy fine that would offset any savings in gas
Actually, I was commenting on testing it on the Lexus. Not the Rav4. My Rav4 only has about 45,000 miles on it. It seems to like 89 the best, but every once in a while I'll through 91 in it on a long trip. And sometimes even 87 depending on the brand of gas.

As for the speeding tickets; I'm fortunate. The only time I got pulled over here doing 80-85 was in my 1966 mustang. And the patrolman admitted that he really only wanted to "SEE" my car up close. He didn't give me a ticket. CAVEAT: Speed IN-TOWN in a "Residential" area, and they'll nail you to a cross. We care a lot for our kids and pedestrians. But on the interstate; unless you're causing problems or are being unsafe, then you go with the flow of traffic. And if that's 80-85, then that's what it is.
Old 02-05-14, 04:04 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

Out here in West Texas and further west, You can go 75 and 80 legally but the MPG drops so much that I have gotten to the point of putting the cruise on 70 . We are not in that big of a hurry and I enjoy looking at the desert, always something new I discover " out in no man's land" . LOL
Old 02-07-14, 12:14 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Here in Ontario, at anything over 90 mph they would seize the car and driver's license for a week, plus up to $10K in fines and of course insurance would have a feast too...

In winter time, my gas mileage drops 10-20% regardless of gas used so it is hard to tell if it is because of temperature or grade of gas
Old 03-02-14, 04:40 PM
ShogunSTL
Driver School Candidate

This info is pretty useful considering how much people freak out about gas prices. The difference per fill up for my area between regular and premium is $6 a fill up.

Overall I would rather pay the extra six bucks and hopefully reap the benefits over the long term. Had never done the math, so now that I have I will definitely be using premium.
Old 03-03-14, 09:57 AM
RainaES350
Rookie

Yesterday put in some Chevron fuel injection cleaner then filled with a tank of Shell 87...off to SF tomorrow so we'll see how she does on the freeway...
Old 03-03-14, 10:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RainaES350
Yesterday put in some Chevron fuel injection cleaner then filled with a tank of Shell 87...off to SF tomorrow so we'll see how she does on the freeway...
Have a good trip. My guess is you'll see 30+ mpg's.

Quick Reply: ES350 gasoline