ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Towing with an ES350

Old 09-10-13, 04:19 PM
Cccaslow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with an ES350

Has anyone ever towed a motorcycle with their Lexus ES350? My bike weighs about 650 lbs and I'm thinking the car would have no problems hauling that with a 450-500lb trailer. Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-13, 05:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

No idea, but that payload sounds doable
Old 09-10-13, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Cccaslow - welcome. moving this to the appropriate ES forum. thank you.
Old 09-10-13, 09:42 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

i tow a 16 foot sailing dingy (yes i put the mast down )
and my 650 lb FJR1300 behind mine with no problem.
Old 09-11-13, 07:41 AM
Cccaslow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nevernu
i tow a 16 foot sailing dingy (yes i put the mast down )
and my 650 lb FJR1300 behind mine with no problem.
Good deal. Thanks for the input. I don't think it will be an issue, but wanted to check. Pulling it thru the mountains in NC will burden it a bit, but as long as I'm not really pushing it I can't see it being a problem
Old 09-12-13, 07:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by etwd
towing in a front wheel drive??????

You people SCARE ME!!!!!!

Go buy a Ford F250 people, they're not that expensive and you will keep people around you safe!
People like you scare me! I seen so many pickup trucks on a daily basis, and I have never seen over 75% of the trucks even haul a trailer or have anything in the bed! A total waste! I can guarantee that at least 50% of pick up truck owners can get by with just a trailer and sedan/suv.

BTW: The "smallest" F250 can tow up to 12,500 lbs. If you are going to spout out useless stuff, then at least tell him to buy an appropriately sized pickup, i.e. F150.

Anyways back to the OP, you stated your bike weighs 650lbs and add in the trailer ; you are over the limit.The ES350 is rated to tow 1,000 lbs. Which is kind of funny considering the Camry is rated to tow 2k lbs.

Your best bet is to get the combo setup, and take it to scale. If the combo is under 1k lbs, you are good to go, which I don't think it is.

Even a hair above, I wouldn't do it! Not because the ES can not handle it, but because god forbid anything happens, the lawyers will have it all too easy to make sure you are held liable even if it wasn't your fault.
Old 09-12-13, 08:02 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

wow Ive been towing those babies around for 20 years in FWD cars and never knew I was a hazard on the road.

Seriously its a utility trailer, not a camper or 5th wheel
Old 09-12-13, 04:10 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently someone has never driven overseas. Germany in particular.

NO ONE has a truck. I saw 2 whole trucks on my road trip to Amsterdam. 2. And the weekend I was there, it was apparently a vacation weekend - a lot of cars were towing small campers. FWD, RWD, AWD. Doesn't matter as long as everyone knows how to drive.

Especially as low as the weight is that you'll be towing, you'll be perfectly fine. As something somewhat off-topic, I would love to own an FJR.
Old 09-13-13, 07:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

And that's why the States are making and enforcing laws to keep people like you from using cell phones while driving. Funny huh? You can't even drive and talk, but you can pull a boat with a car that barely has enough braking ability to stop itself. Even more stupid, the car is basically a marsh mellow and you pull that thing through corners?? OMG!!!!!

I truly believe you people were hatched!

Like I said, Ford makes a nice F250 which will more than accommodate your little utility trailers or boats. They are extremely cheap and they will keep the people around you safe. I don't care about you, just the innocent people who unfortunately happen to be on the same highway as you and your ES350 w/ Boat in tow

In California, you are known as the GREAT PRETENDERS; you know, driving a car you can't afford and pulling a dingy because you can't afford a proper vehicle to transport it. I'll bet you pull that rig of yours right up to your Apartment door - don't you!
Please do not make personal attacks to other members on Club Lexus.

I realize you are new to CL with only 16 posts, but this is one of the nicest forums on the internet, please don't ruin it with your nonsense attacks against other members and claiming they aren't financially stable or what have you.

You haven't made a single good point in your post. The only thing you did was prove how immature and ignorant you truly are.

Have a nice day!
The following users liked this post:
Dpeters86 (02-06-21)
Old 09-13-13, 08:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

And that's why the States are making and enforcing laws to keep people like you from using cell phones while driving. Funny huh? You can't even drive and talk, but you can pull a boat with a car that barely has enough braking ability to stop itself. Even more stupid, the car is basically a marsh mellow and you pull that thing through corners?? OMG!!!!!

I truly believe you people were hatched!

Like I said, Ford makes a nice F250 which will more than accommodate your little utility trailers or boats. They are extremely cheap and they will keep the people around you safe. I don't care about you, just the innocent people who unfortunately happen to be on the same highway as you and your ES350 w/ Boat in tow

In California, you are known as the GREAT PRETENDERS; you know, driving a car you can't afford and pulling a dingy because you can't afford a proper vehicle to transport it. I'll bet you pull that rig of yours right up to your Apartment door - don't you!
My, aren't we feeling "special" this morning!! Someone needs a time out and no juice box for a while.
The following users liked this post:
Dpeters86 (02-06-21)
Old 09-13-13, 08:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

truth does hurt - doesn't it?

Mental Stability is more what I was referencing here guy..........
It doesn't hurt me, you weren't talking to me bud! CL is like a family, we stand up for one another.

You keep this act up, you won't be here much longer.
Old 09-13-13, 08:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Etwd please exit this thread.

Lets get this thread back on topic please.
Old 03-29-24, 06:43 PM
newportri
1st Gear

I don't know why the tow rating is so low in the US since the car is clearly capable of towing more. Pickup trucks are almost non-existent in Europe and pretty much everyone town with sedans or small SUVs. The SUVs often have smaller engines than in the US because import taxes on big engines, as cost of fuel, is very high. Still people tow pretty big campers with small cars. I know some European countries go by the overall weight of the car and trailer as the limit (3500kg or about 7700#). So if your car is 3500# you can tow 4200#... I know it doesn't make sense since you are actually allowed to tow a bigger trailer with a smaller car... The biggest problem is seems to be the traffic they cause since they can't keep the speed limit, especially up hills, and I know from experience that can be very annoying...
On another note if you go to u-hauls website and enter 2009 Lexus ES350 they will tell you that you can tow up to 3500# with the correct size receiver. I can believe it is capable of this since it has 270hp and 4 disc brakes. I have towed a 23' boat trailer with two axles several times (no boat on it) with no issues. I am curious where uhaul get their data from if Lexus only says you can tow 1000#...