ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Outside Air Only in 2012 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 07:40 AM
GadgetGirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Outside Air Only in 2012 ES350

I have researched everywhere and asked the Dealer and still cannot find out how to turn off the AC and get outside air only when it is cool out. Even if I turn the air off, if I don't adjust the temperature to match the outside I get either heat or air coming out of the vents. It is very frustrating to be required to adjust the temperature constantly.

Can anyone help?
Old 08-14-13, 08:05 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a 2012 but I believe you just turn off the automatic climate control.
Old 08-14-13, 08:53 AM
buckeye101
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackes350
I have researched everywhere and asked the Dealer and still cannot find out how to turn off the AC and get outside air only when it is cool out. Even if I turn the air off, if I don't adjust the temperature to match the outside I get either heat or air coming out of the vents. It is very frustrating to be required to adjust the temperature constantly.

Can anyone help?
In a 2013 ES350 with the "Display Audio" screen (e.g. no Nav), you go to the climate screen and turn off AC (no green bar). If you happen to go back to Auto, it will turn the AC back on Automatically. Hope that helps
Old 08-22-13, 04:18 PM
GadgetGirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Outside Air Only in 2012 ES350

Thanks for those who responded. However, I have tried both of those suggestions. With the air turned off (no green light) the cabin still heats up based on the temperature set inside. With the air off, If it is 60 degrees out and the inside temperature is set to 68, heat comes out and it gets hot. If I set the # to 50, it gets cold. While it appears you can turn the air button off, you cannot turn the #'s off - they must be set to something and that seems to control the air/heat whether it is on or not. It is a pain to have to constantly change the inside temperature setting. Has no one else had this problem?
Old 08-23-13, 06:18 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

With blower fan off, as you drive, the air will still come through vents regardless of temp settings. This is a safety regulation requirement so that cabin gets fresh air. If the temp is set to low temp, then if it is cold out that same outside air will come in. If it is set to high temp then the air will be directed over the heater and will feel warmer inside. If you turn on the recirc and that will prevent most of the air from flowing in and will be at the cabin temp. It might get stuffy inside though
Old 08-23-13, 07:03 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for those who responded. However, I have tried both of those suggestions. With the air turned off (no green light) the cabin still heats up based on the temperature set inside. With the air off, If it is 60 degrees out and the inside temperature is set to 68, heat comes out and it gets hot. If I set the # to 50, it gets cold. While it appears you can turn the air button off, you cannot turn the #'s off - they must be set to something and that seems to control the air/heat whether it is on or not. It is a pain to have to constantly change the inside temperature setting. Has no one else had this problem?
I am having this issue also, it is driving me nuts constantly adjusting temperature values to match outside.

A solution to your outside air problem:
When it is cool outside, you have to turn A/C off (no green light), set the temperature to lowest possible (LO) and ensure the fresh cabin air button is enabled. In this setting you get whatever temp is outside, inside the cabin.

"To turn off the #'s", as you put it, turn off climate control completely. Then activate the fresh air (non-recirculation mode) button, and you will feel outside air coming in, without the heater/cooler having any effect (it is off at this point).

I'm not sold on this auto climate b/s. When it is 5 degrees F. (-15 deg. C) in winter here, and I enable autoclimate to room temperature (70 F, 22 C), it heats the cabin, but my a/c light stay ON! Wtf? I have no idea if my a/c clutch is enabled and I am wasting gas on an a/c pump when I dont need it in the middle of winter!

Last edited by iceblast; 08-23-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-23-13, 09:12 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm having a good chuckle about this thread, It's reminding me of my 80+ year old dad and his Lexus. He always turns off the climate control as enters his garage. He told me way back in the day when cars first started having AC, the compressor would be engaged even when you first started the car. That, combined with carburetors, could make it difficult to start up the car. I've told him compressors are not engaged until after the engine is running nowadays. But to no avail. Lexus designs the system for the majority of us that just set the temp, and don't care how the car achieves it. The rest of you are out of luck.
Old 08-24-13, 05:00 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
I'm having a good chuckle about this thread, It's reminding me of my 80+ year old dad and his Lexus. He always turns off the climate control as enters his garage. He told me way back in the day when cars first started having AC, the compressor would be engaged even when you first started the car. That, combined with carburetors, could make it difficult to start up the car. I've told him compressors are not engaged until after the engine is running nowadays. But to no avail. Lexus designs the system for the majority of us that just set the temp, and don't care how the car achieves it. The rest of you are out of luck.

I find it funny/interesting that anyone turns off the auto CC system. I don't think I can every remember even resetting the temp. Put it on 72 when I bought the car and it's still set there.
Old 08-25-13, 12:12 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
I'm not sold on this auto climate b/s. When it is 5 degrees F. (-15 deg. C) in winter here, and I enable autoclimate to room temperature (70 F, 22 C), it heats the cabin, but my a/c light stay ON! Wtf? I have no idea if my a/c clutch is enabled and I am wasting gas on an a/c pump when I dont need it in the middle of winter!
The A/C is turned on to eliminate condensation / humidity in the cabin. Remember cars of old that would fog up the windows and you'd turn on the defrost (which, in turn would kick on the AC?) That's what it's doing, except it does it constantly.

For me, I don't shift temperatures much. I had a Grand Marquis with auto climate control for my previous vehicle; I learned to set and forget - and I love that now.