Check VSC light Flashing & Traction Light ON

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 09:48 AM
Darkman67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC light Flashing & Traction Light ON

Good morning everyone,

I'm new to this forums, so if I make mistake of typo wrong please corrected me, thanks.
I bought a used 2007 ES 350 on July 2012. This morning going to work, about 2 miles from my house my CHECK VSC light and TRACTION light turned ON, just get on freeway and the CHECK VSC light started FLASHING and when this occurred, the car was unable to accelerate, the car could only go about 40 mph and then slowly going up to about 60mph. I was scared and took the next exit turn around and going home. I'm at 41000 miles and out of warranty.
If anyone know about this problem, please help me.

Thanks a lot,

Darkman67
Old 08-01-13, 11:45 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to see what codes it's throwing. My initial thought is a vehicle speed sensor in the trans is going bad and tripping out the VSC system. If the VSC gets disabled, so does traction control.

Aside from that, I can't really say there's anything else that jumps out at me given your description.
Old 08-01-13, 02:30 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here,
If the check engine light is flashing, then your vehicle has a misfire. The ES 3.5L engine has a problem with the coils going bad occasionally. It is usually the coil pack on cylinder #4. If you go to Autozone, and have your code pulled, then you can have an idea. If the misfire code is that of an even number (P0302, P0304, P0306) then you are in luck, and can replace it with only a 10mm socket. if it is odd (P0301, P0303, P0305) then the intake manifold will have to be pulled, and it is recommended by someone with a decent amount of automotive repair experience.

Edit: the front bank (one closest to the radiator) is number 2,4,6. cylinder #2 is the one closest to the front of the engine, and cylinder #6 is closest to the transmission.
Old 08-02-13, 06:56 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NotADouche
Lexus Master Tech here,
If the check engine light is flashing, then your vehicle has a misfire. The ES 3.5L engine has a problem with the coils going bad occasionally. It is usually the coil pack on cylinder #4. If you go to Autozone, and have your code pulled, then you can have an idea. If the misfire code is that of an even number (P0302, P0304, P0306) then you are in luck, and can replace it with only a 10mm socket. if it is odd (P0301, P0303, P0305) then the intake manifold will have to be pulled, and it is recommended by someone with a decent amount of automotive repair experience.

Edit: the front bank (one closest to the radiator) is number 2,4,6. cylinder #2 is the one closest to the front of the engine, and cylinder #6 is closest to the transmission.
dude...he said nothing about the CEL nor the engine acting up. It's the VSC and trac lights flashing.
Old 08-02-13, 03:18 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The OP's thread is confusing........according to the Owner's Manual the VSC OFF light does not flash, but will be on steady if the VSC AND Traction Control (TRAC) are BOTH disabled by the driver. There will also be a "Trac Off" message shown in the cluster. If ONLY the Traction Control is turned off then only the "Trac Off" message will be shown. The "Slip" indicator light flashes if the system is sensing a slip or the front wheels are spinning. If the "Slip" indicator light comes on steady then that can indicate a problem with the VSC/TRAC system/s. In the OP's case if the "Slip" indicator light was flashing when in fact there was no way that the car could be slipping and/or the front wheels were not actually "spinning", then that could be an indication of a system problem. He did state that the car had poor acceleration/performance which could be result of the VSC/TRAC cutting back the power because of a system fault. Like NotADouche I also first thought that the OP had seen the Check Engine light flashing.......either way, the OP needs to get the car hooked up to a scan tool and checked for fault codes.
Old 08-23-13, 07:07 PM
Darkman67
Driver School Candidate

Thank you you all. I bought a code scanner at amazon
Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive
for $17.00 and it gave me the error P0304, went to dealer bought the coil for $142.00. Replace with the old coil and started the engine..... back to the old day. Thanks you all very much.

Have a nice day,

Darkman67
Old 08-23-13, 08:28 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So it appears it was the Check Engine light that was flashing due to a cylinder misfire and the subsequent normal disabling of the VSC and Traction control systems by the ECM.
Old 09-09-14, 06:02 PM
alamj2008
Driver School Candidate

To fix check VSC with engine and traction light on, you need to replace one of your Oxygen sensor. Either front or rear. Just go to any parts store, have them check the problem code, buy the sensor and take your car to a local mechanic they will fix for you. That's how you save money not taking car to dealer. If any one get helped from this information, please share with others.Thanks
Old 09-20-14, 04:23 PM
Ptech413
Driver School Candidate

Default Lmao

Originally Posted by alamj2008
To fix check VSC with engine and traction light on, you need to replace one of your Oxygen sensor. Either front or rear. Just go to any parts store, have them check the problem code, buy the sensor and take your car to a local mechanic they will fix for you. That's how you save money not taking car to dealer. If any one get helped from this information, please share with others.Thanks
I hope that's supposed to be a joke.
Old 09-25-14, 06:36 AM
alamj2008
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Hi dear. To fix check VSC with engine and traction light on, you need to replace one of your Oxygen sensor. Either front or rear. Just go to any parts store, have them check the problem code, buy the sensor and take your car to a local mechanic they will fix for you. That's how you save money not taking car to dealer. If any one get helped from this information, please share with others.Thanks