ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Those of you with 20's...come on in

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 09:01 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Those of you with 20's...come on in

So, I've stumbled across a nice set of wheels on craigslist that are 20" staggered with offsets that fit a maxima (the car they came off of). I'm thinking those offsets should work with the ES just fine.

I don't know what size the tires are yet, but I guess 2 will need to be replaced soon anyway so that doesn't matter. My question is what size tires are you running and do you have any rubbing issues? Lowered or not?

The car will get lowered eventually, but not right away. I'm mostly concerned about the width in the rear given that the set is staggered.

I know fitment really well on 2GS's but have never really gotten into it on an ES. My guess would be a 245/35/20 in the front and a 265/30/20 in the rear, if the wheel widths allow, would be ok?
Old 06-07-13, 12:38 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have 20s on he ES but i did ride with both 20s and 22s on all my Cadillacs over the years

and one thing i have to say is never buy a set of rims of CL used unless you can try them out first every time i have ever had anyone tell me about wheels they bought of CL i always hear how the only way they can get them to balance is with a Road Force Ballance i tell them why it's because the rims are bent somethings wrong with them

your better off getting them on Ebay atleast you have some sort of buyer protection then
Old 06-08-13, 01:44 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you're going to lower without putting ultra stiff spring settings:
Fronts will rub - fender lip/ bumper tab and big plastic piece that helps align the bumper
Rears will poke out past the fender.

On top of the fender shave/roll/pull you're going to have to run crazy camber (way more than -5 degrees for sure)... but those kits dont exist for the camry/es platform either as far as I know.
Dont do it!
This is after factoring in the probably that it wouldnt hit the strut and the rims are around 35-40 offset.

Last edited by xanderES; 06-08-13 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 08:56 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
Fronts will rub - fender lip/ bumper tab and big plastic piece that helps align the bumper

On top of the fender shave/roll/pull you're going to have to run crazy camber (way more than -5 degrees for sure)... but those kits dont exist for the camry/es platform either as far as I know.
Dont do it!
This is after factoring in the probably that it wouldnt hit the strut and the rims are around 35-40 offset.
so are you saying that all 20s are going to throw the camper way off by -5 atleast and rup in the front on all ES350s question ?

or am i missing something here
Old 06-08-13, 08:03 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

No, no! That is not what I'm saying at all... what im saying is that the tires are too wide in that set up. Unless you're not going to lower it... then you can run whatever you'd like. Donk it out if you'd like in that situation!

20's can fit perfectly with the right offset and width. When you get into lowering, aggressive offsets, flush fitment, larger than allowable tires, etc. there are various modifications you would have to implement to get them to fit correctly or at all.
Old 06-09-13, 05:13 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

First time I ever decide to run a set of 19s and I'm blackballed lol
Old 06-09-13, 10:56 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Dont do it!
You sure do have a lot of insight without knowing the offsets, widths, and tire sizes. Or am I over-looking those specs?

Best thing to do is have the seller meet you at a wheel shop and do a test fit.
Old 06-09-13, 05:26 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

I find it hilarious that I am getting flamed for actually being able to answer the OP's question.

Originally Posted by LexRuger
You sure do have a lot of insight without knowing the offsets, widths, and tire sizes. Or am I over-looking those specs?
You must of overlooked the whole thread. The part where I mentioned offset, and OP's posted tire sizes of 245/265. Using these tire sizes you can assume the wheel widths are 9 in the front and 10 in the rear. Either way the tires are too wide to fit in the rear.
Thanks again for reading the massive 6 post thread before calling me out
Old 06-09-13, 05:53 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

I've ran many tire set up's on 20" rims on different es models, the best tire rim combo I've found for lowering and playing with your camber is a 225/30R20 on a 8.5" width rim all around. Here's a picture of my 2002 Es300 on 225/30R20's slammed on Coilovers, rolled fendres and plenty of camber in the rear almost none in the front. This car never rubed anywhere!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Those of you with 20's...come on in-image.jpg  
Old 06-09-13, 06:04 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

I also just tried a set of LFA rims on my car, the fronts are 8.5" with a +38 off set and fit perfect but +35 offset rims I find fit the es the best, as for the back LFA rims there 9.5, with a +45 offset and they just touch the strut, now I'm in to a can of worms like running spacers, Coilovers with loads of camber, rolling my fenders and stretching a set of 235/35R19's on a 9.5" rim. Should look pretty killer after a couple thousand dollars lol.
Attached Thumbnails Those of you with 20's...come on in-image.jpg  
Old 06-09-13, 06:19 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_350
So, I've stumbled across a nice set of wheels on craigslist that are 20" staggered with offsets that fit a maxima (the car they came off of). I'm thinking those offsets should work with the ES just fine.

I don't know what size the tires are yet, but I guess 2 will need to be replaced soon anyway so that doesn't matter. My question is what size tires are you running and do you have any rubbing issues? Lowered or not?

The car will get lowered eventually, but not right away. I'm mostly concerned about the width in the rear given that the set is staggered.

I know fitment really well on 2GS's but have never really gotten into it on an ES. My guess would be a 245/35/20 in the front and a 265/30/20 in the rear, if the wheel widths allow, would be ok?
I find it hilarious that I am getting flamed for actually being able to answer the OP's question.

You must of overlooked the whole thread. The part where I mentioned offset, and OP's posted tire sizes of 245/265. Using these tire sizes you can assume the wheel widths are 9 in the front and 10 in the rear. Either way the tires are too wide to fit in the rear.
Thanks again for reading the massive 6 post thread before calling me out
Read the OP post again. They stated they do not know the offset yet and they are guessing the tire size. I'm not flaiming. Just curious to know how you know what all needs to be done when the OP says he doesn't know the offsets.
Old 06-10-13, 12:25 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

How i know? Because the tires wouldnt fit REGARDLESS of the offset. What is more intriguing is why youre arguing with me on this subject when you dont even own a 2007-2012 ES350.

I will also say this for the 3rd time in the thread.

Dont do it!
This is after factoring in the probability that it wouldnt hit the strut and the rims are around 35-40 offset.
Sorry OP for the clutter. I'm done with this childishness.
Old 06-10-13, 06:26 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Guys, settle down. It's a little banter about what's known and not known. I appreciate the opinions and info, and it all helps.

What I do know, is that the wheels are coming off of a maxima. An 00-01 maxima to be specific which I recall from my maxima days to have an EXTREMELY high offset, around +45 or +50 IIRC, and in the picture the guy sent me, they don't stick out past the fenders. The ES's factory offset is +45, but I think our wheel wells are a bit bigger. You have to remember that even with staggered setups the offsets for FWD cars are pretty high. That being said, the guy has told me that the front tires (which need to be replaced) are 245/35/20, the rears are 285/30/20.

Like I said, I'm no rookie to wheel and tire fitment, but am unfamiliar with the ES as a platform. A quick tire calculator run shows that the diameter is not that far off:

Stock: 26.31 in
Front: 26.75 in
Rear: 26.73 in

Unfortunately I don't know the widths of the wheels. However, the section width comparison is pretty telling:

Stock: 8.46 in
Front: 9.65 in
Rear: 11.22 in

That's only 1.2" wider in the front, and 2.8" wider in the rear. However, we have to remember that the width doesn't increase in one direction only. As these wheels have a lip, you split the increase on both sides, for 0.6" per side front and 1.4" per side rear. I'm fairly positive there's that much room in the ES's fenderwells.

The only question will be the width on the rears. It looks as if they're flush on the maxima's rear wheel arches. That would present a problem for lowering if it does the same thing on the ES. However, we also have to consider that the maxima came with either 15" or 16" wheels from the factory, whereas the ES came with 17" and can accept 18" pretty readily.

If you read Sick350's post, he has a +45 with a 9.5 rim that's barely rubbing the strut. If he puts a 10mm spacer on it, his effective offset is +35 and he'll have even more clearance on the strut, but that moves the rim and tire sidewall further out. I don't mind rolling the fender lips, would rather not trim them though and don't want to rub when I go over bumps. It'll be interesting to see. Maybe I can arrange to put one or both rears on to make sure they clear before i buy them. Also, man, I would NOT stretch a 235 onto a 9.5" rim. 9.5" is even the upper limit of a 245, nevermind a 235. I think a 245 would be cheaper also.

xanderES, I appreciate your input, but there's no way in hell I'd need 5 degrees of camber to fit these wheels, unless I was planning to drop the car around 2-3", which is not the case. If it gets lowered at all (may not need it with these wheels) it'll be an inch to 1.5.
Old 06-10-13, 09:10 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_350
What I do know, is that the wheels are coming off of a maxima. An 00-01 maxima to be specific which I recall from my maxima days to have an EXTREMELY high offset, around +45 or +50 IIRC, and in the picture the guy sent me, they don't stick out past the fenders. The ES's factory offset is +45, but I think our wheel wells are a bit bigger. You have to remember that even with staggered setups the offsets for FWD cars are pretty high. That being said, the guy has told me that the front tires (which need to be replaced) are 245/35/20, the rears are 285/30/20.

Unfortunately I don't know the widths of the wheels. However, the section width comparison is pretty telling:

That's only 1.2" wider in the front, and 2.8" wider in the rear. However, we have to remember that the width doesn't increase in one direction only. As these wheels have a lip, you split the increase on both sides, for 0.6" per side front and 1.4" per side rear. I'm fairly positive there's that much room in the ES's fenderwells.

The only question will be the width on the rears. It looks as if they're flush on the maxima's rear wheel arches. That would present a problem for lowering if it does the same thing on the ES. However, we also have to consider that the maxima came with either 15" or 16" wheels from the factory, whereas the ES came with 17" and can accept 18" pretty readily.

If you read Sick350's post, he has a +45 with a 9.5 rim that's barely rubbing the strut. If he puts a 10mm spacer on it, his effective offset is +35 and he'll have even more clearance on the strut, but that moves the rim and tire sidewall further out. I don't mind rolling the fender lips, would rather not trim them though and don't want to rub when I go over bumps. It'll be interesting to see. Maybe I can arrange to put one or both rears on to make sure they clear before i buy them. Also, man, I would NOT stretch a 235 onto a 9.5" rim. 9.5" is even the upper limit of a 245, nevermind a 235. I think a 245 would be cheaper also.
I've owned a Maxima so I've seen plenty of set-ups and I know this gen Maxima can't take aggressive widths and offsets, just like the ES can't. So, there's a good chance they will fit.

Also, I know of people that have had the wheels' mounting surface shaved in order to change the offset. So, if the rears don't tuck in your situation, that's always an option.

The rears on my car are 235 with a 9.5" wheel. I was kinda skeptical at first but they haven't gave me any problems so far. If you have to go that route and wanna know how it looks. I'd be happy to send you some pics.
Old 06-10-13, 09:18 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I've owned a Maxima so I've seen plenty of set-ups and I know this gen Maxima can't take aggressive widths and offsets, just like the ES can't. So, there's a good chance they will fit.

Also, I know of people that have had the wheels' mounting surface shaved in order to change the offset. So, if the rears don't tuck in your situation, that's always an option.

The rears on my car are 235 with a 9.5" wheel. I was kinda skeptical at first but they haven't gave me any problems so far. If you have to go that route and wanna know how it looks. I'd be happy to send you some pics.
Are those 20's or 22s? They look huge, I'll assume 22s?

I'd also imagine a 235/25 to fit a 22 on that car? That's scary for where I live haha. The roads here are terrible. I'd need to go with the tallest sidewall I could to avoid road damage.

Quick Reply: Those of you with 20's...come on in