ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 05:21 AM
marylandlp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default side mirrors

The side mirrors on the 2010 models have la light lens that looks like a comet. The last inch on the outside of the lens flashes orange when the turn signals are activated .Ii have never seen the rest of the comet illuminate. Is it decorative - never lights up---or is there a way to get it to light?
Old 05-15-13, 05:11 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandlp
The side mirrors on the 2010 models have la light lens that looks like a comet. The last inch on the outside of the lens flashes orange when the turn signals are activated .Ii have never seen the rest of the comet illuminate. Is it decorative - never lights up---or is there a way to get it to light?
These are the "puddle" lights that light up at night when you approach the car . If you lock the car and later approach it the lights should come on when you are about 5 feet from the car.
Old 05-15-13, 06:39 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
These are the "puddle" lights that light up at night when you approach the car . If you lock the car and later approach it the lights should come on when you are about 5 feet from the car.
No, that's not what the OP is talking about. He's talking about the LED turn signal indicator on the mirrors for the '10 (i believe) and up models.

OP, I think the rest of the clear plastic is just there as decoration. There are no bulbs on the inner portion, just the outside inch as you said. I guess in theory you could modify the housing and put your own LED's in the inside portion, but that'd be a lot of time, money, and work for little benefit, IMO.
Old 05-16-13, 05:59 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_350
No, that's not what the OP is talking about. He's talking about the LED turn signal indicator on the mirrors for the '10 (i believe) and up models.

OP, I think the rest of the clear plastic is just there as decoration. There are no bulbs on the inner portion, just the outside inch as you said. I guess in theory you could modify the housing and put your own LED's in the inside portion, but that'd be a lot of time, money, and work for little benefit, IMO.
OK I see the strip he is talking about. It appears there are 2 LED's in the light strip but when you turn on the directionals the whole strip lights up. I do not have a dead area as the design of the lens is reflected over the total strip.
Old 05-17-13, 05:13 AM
marylandlp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default side mirrors

Originally Posted by jcat_350

Thanks for the response. I finally decided to do a little more testing and discovered that the full comet lights are energized when the door open/lock button is pressed on the remote or door handle. tx