ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rust on trunk.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 07:47 AM
Petah
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on trunk.....

Hi, I am in the market for an ES350 and have seen around 8-9 different cars ranging from 2007-2009. Most of the older cars that I have seen, including one 2009 have rust developping on the trunk, around the license plate trim area. I am from Ontario, Canada where heavy road salt are used during the winter months. I have not observed rusting on any other parts of the cars that I have visited. Are other owners experiencing this? Is the trunk the weak point in this car? I have searched this forum and haven't found anyone reporting this. Any type of fix? I plan on oil spraying my car once a year after this anyways.

As well, my target car is a 2008 Premium pack with nav with around 42,000 miles. I have read that the most common problems with this year are:

- VVTI external oil supply line rupturing
- windows falling out
- potential tranny issues (though from my reading, it appears this is more a 2007 problem)

Is there anything else I missed?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-13, 05:01 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out rear brake linings - mine were replaced n/c by dealer at 19,000 miles on 2007.
Old 04-14-13, 05:54 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Most definatly get rust proofing done! I had a look under mine last year and its already starting to rust! Although the rusting taking place under mine is minor, it is evident around the brake lines, shocks, the frame, ect! Im getting it done every year! So far every car ive had sprayed has not shown any trace of rust marks, and any rusting that had started stopped immediately.

You just have to find someone that will do a very good job, and wont drill any holes into your Lexus..😄
Old 04-14-13, 08:19 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

my 2007 trunk lid lip rusted in 2011/see pic and was repaired under warranty. the rust reappeared in 2012 and was again repaired. i looked a few days ago and there are signs that the rust is reforming.....
Attached Thumbnails Rust on trunk.....-img_1219a.jpg  

Last edited by nevernu; 04-14-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 03:40 AM
Petah
10th Gear

Thsnks for all the reply. Nevernu, any previouse work done on the trunk? Any other parts of the car rusting?
Old 04-15-13, 08:00 AM
nevernu
Instructor

no everything else seems good

during one visit to lexus, the service adviser said he was surprised at the trunk lip rust; he said that Lexus had only issued some sort of notice about rust around the license plate bezel piece

Last edited by nevernu; 04-15-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 04:19 PM
Petah
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nevernu
no everything else seems good

during one visit to lexus, the service adviser said he was surprised at the trunk lip rust; he said that Lexus had only issued some sort of notice about rust around the license plate bezel piece
That is the exact piece that I am talking about. Most of the ES that I looked at had rust developping around the license trim area. I actually called Lexus Canada and they said they don't have any sort of notice/recall. I am going to bring my car in to get it fixed before warranty expires.
Old 04-17-13, 07:53 AM
ckgs
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have rust in this exact same area. I'm actually encouraged to hear that others have this issue and it's been recognized by Lexus. Does anyone have a link to a TSB or other documentation I can reference when I talk to my local dealer?
Old 11-01-13, 02:24 PM
lostinthew
Driver

I have rust on the bottom edge of my 99 GS300 trunk too. I have had work done on it twice, so I've invested about $600 so far. It keeps coming back. Is the only solution to replace the trunk? Isn't there some way to remove what is there and seal it so no air and moisture get in? Otherwise my car is in great shape at 150k miles.

Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-13, 05:36 AM
ckgs
Driver School Candidate

Not sure why you are paying out of your own pocket. Lexus fixed this for me as part of rust warranty.
Old 11-02-13, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by ckgs
Not sure why you are paying out of your own pocket. Lexus fixed this for me as part of rust warranty.
He has a 15 year old GS. Well out of any warranty.
Old 05-06-14, 01:26 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Angry

just an update from my rust on trunk lip, see previous post #4 for rusts pics then.

so it first appeared in summer 2011 and was fixed under warranty, it reoccurred in spring 2012 and was fixed again under warranty, it reoccurred again in spring 2013 and was fixed under warranty, all times with 3 days in the shop w rental car etc...

and guess what ....it has reocurred again

This time Lexus says the warranty has expired since Dec 2102 (the 6 year rust warranty and is not part of the extended warranty to Dec 2014 they say)> They don't say why they fixed it under warranty in spring 2013!? The dealer offered me either:

- a dealer cost full fix repaint etc for $817Cdn or
- a no charge rust cleanup, touchup paint and apply a protective tape to stop the trunk from rubbing and exposing bare metal. (why didn't they do that from the beginning or adjust the trunk if needed)

Some thoughts I have include why would I have this dealer fix it again this time for $817 when the 3 previous full fixes did not last more than a season.

Do I not have some protection when Lexus fixes a problem under warranty and the problem recurs and recurs and recurs and recurs. Frankly I think I need a new trunk lid!

Any comments?
Old 05-06-14, 05:04 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Was the trunk lid drain hole (just above the latch) open/clear? Once corrosion has continued in a rolled body seam to the point of the paint "bubbling" then there is nothing that any body shop can really do to prevent the paint bubbling from reoccurring (except replacing the part). It appears that the corrosion prevention process (if any) for the internal seam area of the trunk lid hasn't worked very well.
I sprayed inhibiting fluid into all the sheet metal body seams (hood, trunk lid, doors, etc.) when I bought the car, and have repeated it once since. Even here on the west coast with our relatively salt free winters I have done this on all my cars over the years.
Old 05-09-14, 08:45 AM
nevernu
Instructor

nobody cares about my rust
Old 05-09-14, 12:03 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nevernu, it looks bad. How years does the warranty cover rust issues? I have 2007 with 120k km on it and no rust, only were stone chips have landed.

Quick Reply: Rust on trunk.....