Lexus newbie: considering a 2007 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 03:47 PM
bpjadhav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus newbie: considering a 2007 ES350

Hello folks,

I am not a Lexus owner yet, but am considering a 2007 Lexus ES350. It has 22,000 miles on it (pretty low considering it's an 07 model) and has the Ultra Luxury Package. The owner is asking $20,000 for it.

Do you guys think it is a fair price? I will be test driving the car tomorrow evening. Are there any specific things I should watch out for?

This is a private party sale and the guy selling it is the second owner.

From what I have read on this forum so far, it appears cars with the UL package were limited production - the UL package is what attracted me to the car, apart from the low miles.

Any opinions/advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-13, 04:34 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bpjadhav
Hello folks,

I am not a Lexus owner yet, but am considering a 2007 Lexus ES350. It has 22,000 miles on it (pretty low considering it's an 07 model) and has the Ultra Luxury Package. The owner is asking $20,000 for it.

Do you guys think it is a fair price? I will be test driving the car tomorrow evening. Are there any specific things I should watch out for?

This is a private party sale and the guy selling it is the second owner.

From what I have read on this forum so far, it appears cars with the UL package were limited production - the UL package is what attracted me to the car, apart from the low miles.

Any opinions/advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dont do it...............The 07 and 08 es350 has a design issue with the side windows popping and coming off track as the plastic tabs are built into the glass...When this happens, The only fix is to replace the glass...Dealer cost $660 to $800...Also the pinch protector has to be reset....Also, another potential problem is the external oil cooler line...The rubber hose was replaced under recall, but most dealers replaced it with a hydraulic line instead of a metal line...Finally, 20k for a 6 year old auto seems to be high..I would try to find something newer with a warranty..............I bought my 07 es350 (2 and a half years old) with 30,000 miles for 26k Hope this helps
Old 04-01-13, 07:49 PM
bpjadhav
Driver School Candidate

Retired,

Thanks for your input. This definitely puts a fresh perspective on the car. I had no idea about the issues with the windows or the cooler line. I will keep this in mind when I look at the car tomorrow. The seller had initially priced it at 22.5K and yesterday he dropped it to 20K FIRM.

I think I'll still test drive the car but weigh my options carefully before making a decision.

Are you planning on keeping your ES350 for a while?
Old 04-02-13, 02:20 PM
retired
Driver

My wife likes to drive the car..I have instructed her not to lower any of the windows.This o7 es350 is not half the car as my 01 lx470...I usually keep a car for twenty years before I retire it... I plan to give this 07 es350 to my granddaughter...I dont buy new cars anymore, I buy leased cars from a friend of mine...She has stopped leasing lexus and has started to lease Mercedes..........My next car is a Mercedes.........
Old 04-02-13, 03:48 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2007 Ultra, Dark Blue / Tan interior. Traded in for Premium package 2011 leftover. Miss the ML audio, panoramic sunroof and memory passenger seat. Traded it in with around 55,000 miles. Only issues was passenger side window falling out, ticking noise (sounds like lifters) since new and that was about it.
Old 04-02-13, 04:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had a very early build 2007 ES350 (4/06). In 4 years of ownership zero trips to the dealer for any warranty work, and zero trips for any service bulletin work. I traded it in on a 2010 and exact same scenaro. Needless to say, I was a satisfied owner.

I now have a 2013 Audi and fingers are crossed.
Old 04-02-13, 05:19 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Id say 20k is not bad but its not great either but it does have low miles on i would say for sure if it was a dealer and you where getting atleast some sort of a warranty on it then 20k would be great id go for it in a heart beat considering some dealers are selling with 3 times that miles for 20-23k

private party id say around 18 or 19 would be more appropriated if it had every option available

don't let the few flaws scare you
just because one person was not happy with there 07 and had those isssues does not mean you will

i bought my 07 es350 for 17,999 after taxes and fees on Feb 1st this year with 44k not one issue and it now has 51k on it atleast not one issues that wasn't covered by the warranty the axl had to be reaplaced it was leaking but lexus fixed that for me
Old 04-02-13, 06:35 PM
retired
Driver

Default clarification

If I had it to do over again, I would not have bought the 07 es350...For a $42,000 car, it is not a luxury automobile....I do have over 85,000 miles on it....The drivers seat is not very comfortable and vision while backing up is limited....If you plan to keep this car for 5 or ten years, then the repair costs might be rather high...Specifically, the cost to replace the water pump is almost $2100....$260 for the pump and $1800 labor....The engine had to be removed to replace the water pump....On the upside, if you plan to keep the car a couple of years, the resale value is good...I have noticed on this site, that many lexus owners keep their cars 3 or 4 years and then replace them with new or newer cars...Another concern, about the car you are considering, is that why is the second owner getting rid of the car...If you must get this car, then I would get a CARFAX history....Has it been in an accident...etc.....Again I say that my 2001 LX 470 is twice the auto of the 2007 es350.... I expect more from a Lexus and the 2007 es350 fails to deliver.....
Old 04-02-13, 07:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by retired
If I had it to do over again, I would not have bought the 07 es350...For a $42,000 car, it is not a luxury automobile....I do have over 85,000 miles on it....The drivers seat is not very comfortable and vision while backing up is limited....If you plan to keep this car for 5 or ten years, then the repair costs might be rather high...Specifically, the cost to replace the water pump is almost $2100....$260 for the pump and $1800 labor....The engine had to be removed to replace the water pump....On the upside, if you plan to keep the car a couple of years, the resale value is good...I have noticed on this site, that many lexus owners keep their cars 3 or 4 years and then replace them with new or newer cars...Another concern, about the car you are considering, is that why is the second owner getting rid of the car...If you must get this car, then I would get a CARFAX history....Has it been in an accident...etc.....Again I say that my 2001 LX 470 is twice the auto of the 2007 es350.... I expect more from a Lexus and the 2007 es350 fails to deliver.....
Have you considered getting rid of the ES and going into something else? If it's starting to cost money for repairs and you don't really like, it maybe there is something else that would meet your needs.
Old 04-03-13, 06:15 AM
mattds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your boat and i JUST picked up an 09, 88k km or 55K miles (white exterior, black interior so a perferable colour combo) with nav and the mid level audio for $19,500 CAD.... i also wanted the UL model, especially with the panoramic sun roof, but after reading about the 07 issues i decided to get an 09...i don't even have HID's, but for $150 i can get those installed easily enough and that's that. I test drove a car with the ML audio and it was great, but i was still very happy with mid level (comes with nav) system. I don't have the rear sun shade or AFS, but all in all i'm happy to have gotten a good price with low milage and it has a nav and it's a lexus
Old 04-03-13, 06:16 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

when it comes down to it we buy lexus for the name i feel because we get to say we drive a lexus unless your getting a LFA or a GS my opinion is we buy the ES350 because a Camary would be suitable but we feel stronger saying we drive a lexus
the LS we could be very happy driving a Avalon but wed rather say we have a Lexus then a toyota

im sure there are more reasons but this is what i feel
i bought mind used never going to buy a new car brand new never not going to happen
Old 04-03-13, 07:15 AM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Have you considered getting rid of the ES and going into something else? If it's starting to cost money for repairs and you don't really like, it maybe there is something else that would meet your needs.
Your solution sounds very easy......Except I just dont buy any car........It has to be a used car, specifically leased by a friend of mine.....He is currently driving a 2012 Mercedes SUV and that is the next car I WILL buy............I dont drive the lexus for its name, because I realize it is just a TOYOTA...........I just expected more out of the 07 es350 with respect to reliabilty and comfort...This es350 FAILS to deliver......Windows falling out, pinch protector reset pbs, transmission issues, rear brake recall, external oil line failure and recall (replaced with an hydralic line instead of metal.. In 09 Lexus put metal lines on all their es350's), antifreeze leaks due to design defect.......In my opinion the 07 08 es350 autos are great to buy, only if you plan to keep them less than 5 years and in warranty............I plan to drive my 01 Lexus lx470 until the wheels fall off...It is a MONSTER LUXURY AUTOMOBILE............The way a true luxury car should be made......
Old 04-03-13, 07:22 AM
twistedman
Rookie

Ive had my 2007 for 2 years now and ive had nothing go wrong with it at all!!! Compared to my prior car (2004 BMW 5 series) which was a complete nightmare and was in and out of the shop all the time, My lexus is still very reliable! Its not perfect though cause it has had its problems but over all its still a very good year model!

Here are some reviews from edmunds where people have also bought the vehicle used and its the 2007 model!! Still has a 4 1/2 star rating!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350/...r-reviews.html
Old 04-03-13, 08:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twistedman
Ive had my 2007 for 2 years now and ive had nothing go wrong with it at all!!! Compared to my prior car (2004 BMW 5 series) which was a complete nightmare and was in and out of the shop all the time, My lexus is still very reliable! Its not perfect though cause it has had its problems but over all its still a very good year model!

Here are some reviews from edmunds where people have also bought the vehicle used and its the 2007 model!! Still has a 4 1/2 star rating!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350/...r-reviews.html
In Consumer Reports, the 2007 ES350 (as well as '08-'11 models) receives overall good reports from owners in their owners surveys. With no widespread recurring problems. It's Recommended for Predicted Reliability.
Old 04-03-13, 09:53 AM
twistedman
Rookie

Originally Posted by retired
Your solution sounds very easy......Except I just dont buy any car........It has to be a used car, specifically leased by a friend of mine.....He is currently driving a 2012 Mercedes SUV and that is the next car I WILL buy............I dont drive the lexus for its name, because I realize it is just a TOYOTA...........I just expected more out of the 07 es350 with respect to reliabilty and comfort...This es350 FAILS to deliver......Windows falling out, pinch protector reset pbs, transmission issues, rear brake recall, external oil line failure and recall (replaced with an hydralic line instead of metal.. In 09 Lexus put metal lines on all their es350's), antifreeze leaks due to design defect.......In my opinion the 07 08 es350 autos are great to buy, only if you plan to keep them less than 5 years and in warranty............I plan to drive my 01 Lexus lx470 until the wheels fall off...It is a MONSTER LUXURY AUTOMOBILE............The way a true luxury car should be made......
Your making it sound like the Mercedes is bullet proof and wont be giving you any problems!! Lol I beg to differ. Mercedes is known for always using the latest Tech, so there are always issues with features failing!! Engine problems, ect ect. Just make sure you have that bumper to bumper warranty or some of your retirement money will be going to repairs! Also when that warranty runs out, your gonna have to look for another used one!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus newbie: considering a 2007 ES350