ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

power window motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 11:25 AM
CAJW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window motor

I had the run channel and Door Glass NAGS replaced for the front passenger window of my 07 ES350. The window goes down but it will not stay up (pinch feature?) I was told it does not re-learn like it should, and I need to take it to the dealer for a "scan" of the motor to see if it needs to be replaced. Has anyone encountered this, is the dealer the only option? All my other electronics work fine.
Old 02-28-13, 11:31 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall in mercedes cars that the window motors need to be recalibrated, usually involving resetting the ECU, dropping the window all the way down and holding the switch, then raising the window all the way up and holding the switch.. I'm unsure if this is true of the ES. I'd call the service advisor first and see what he thinks. No sense bringing it to the dealer and paying an expensive diag fee for something you might be able to fix yourself.
Old 02-28-13, 12:03 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

maybe this will help

"Replacing the door glass or door glass run may cause a difference to exist between the current door glass position
and the position memorized in the ECU. In this case, the jam protection function may work improperly. Return the
system to the pre-initialized condition and reinitialize the system....." see att pdf for full details
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
19.pdf (22.6 KB, 372 views)
Old 03-01-13, 09:47 AM
CAJW
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

I am told that the mechanic followed these steps but could not get the motor into program mode and so recommends taking it to Lexus and likely that it needs a new motor. I am suspicious because the motor is working - the window will go up and down. Any recommendations?
Old 03-01-13, 10:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Have you tried the above procedure yourself? If not, did you pay your window installer for the installation? If the answer to the first question is no, I suggest you try to, it appears easy. If the answer to the second question is yes, I'd suggest you return to the installer and insist they do a proper installation.

Lou
Old 03-09-13, 05:37 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pinch protector

Originally Posted by CAJW
I had the run channel and Door Glass NAGS replaced for the front passenger window of my 07 ES350. The window goes down but it will not stay up (pinch feature?) I was told it does not re-learn like it should, and I need to take it to the dealer for a "scan" of the motor to see if it needs to be replaced. Has anyone encountered this, is the dealer the only option? All my other electronics work fine.
If I understand your problem correctly,I experienced the same pb with my 07 es350.....When a new glass is installed, the computer loses it memory...that it has to to stop when it reaches a fully closed position (auto mode)...thus the pinch protector will lower the window to a half opened position (pinch protector function) ........To solve this problem, the door panel has to be removed and the motor has to be unplugged when in an operating position..the exact procedure has been discussed in another es350 thread, but I cant remember all the details.......The dealer wanted $117 to reset the pinch protector.. My glass installer did not know how to do this...He suggested that I override the problem by not using the auto mode...When the window is being raised, flick the switch as the window is being raised..continue to flick the switch and the pinch protector will not be operational.... As you get closer to fully closed, flick the switch....INSTEAD OF PAYING $117 I override the auto mode thus overriding the pinch protector....It is shame that a $42,000 luxury auto has this design defect.....I hope this helps
Old 03-09-13, 10:36 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to reset the pinch protector you must perform the reset procedure from the door switch at the window. For example you cannot reset the passenger window from the driver bank of switches.

1. Hit start button 2x to turn on the car (no need to start)
2. Hold switch down all the way, keep holding for 5 seconds after window stops.
3. Hold switch up all the way, again 5 seconds after window is completely up.

If this fails, try 10 second intervals. You can tell the windows that aren't programmed by the led in the switch being "off", it will turn on after a successful program.
Old 03-21-13, 10:05 AM
don6709
Driver School Candidate

in my case 2008 ES350, the glass jumped out of its tracks and almost fell out. it is a good thing it did not fall out while i was driving or i would have been distracted as hell. anyway i was able to pop it back in place and close the window. I havent opened it since. obviously it needs to be fixed. anybody got an idea how much it would cost ?
Old 03-21-13, 11:30 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$800 back in 2010. Happened out of state and I did same thing. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty and paid $0. The service manager told me the cost without the warranty. It is one module unit hat included the glass and all parts in the assembly.
Old 03-21-13, 03:30 PM
don6709
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garsarno
$800 back in 2010. Happened out of state and I did same thing. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty and paid $0. The service manager told me the cost without the warranty. It is one module unit hat included the glass and all parts in the assembly.

not what i wanted to hear .......
Old 03-21-13, 03:55 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I know but here is no "repair" of a little part. Just replacement of the module / assembly.
Old 03-21-13, 07:13 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by don6709
in my case 2008 ES350, the glass jumped out of its tracks and almost fell out. it is a good thing it did not fall out while i was driving or i would have been distracted as hell. anyway i was able to pop it back in place and close the window. I havent opened it since. obviously it needs to be fixed. anybody got an idea how much it would cost ?
It happened to me on my 07... The dealer wanted $660 to replace the glass..I had an independent glass installer do it for $220 with a lifetime warranty, but he was unable to reset the pinch protector...The reason the glass jumps off track is because the PLASTIC TAB (2 in each window) breaks.. These are made into the glass and cannot be repaired...The glass has to be replaced....This is a design defect that Lexus refused to fix FOC unless the auto is in warranty....I lower my windows only when absolutely necessary....You know when the tabs are cracked because the window will make a popping sound when it reaches 2 to three inches from the top. Eventually, the tabs will break and the glass will come off track usually protruding 3 to 4 inches outside the frame....LEXUS issued a service bulletin to the dealers in 09, but owners were never notified by lexus
Old 03-22-13, 09:50 AM
don6709
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by retired
It happened to me on my 07... The dealer wanted $660 to replace the glass..I had an independent glass installer do it for $220 with a lifetime warranty, but he was unable to reset the pinch protector...The reason the glass jumps off track is because the PLASTIC TAB (2 in each window) breaks.. These are made into the glass and cannot be repaired...The glass has to be replaced....This is a design defect that Lexus refused to fix FOC unless the auto is in warranty....I lower my windows only when absolutely necessary....You know when the tabs are cracked because the window will make a popping sound when it reaches 2 to three inches from the top. Eventually, the tabs will break and the glass will come off track usually protruding 3 to 4 inches outside the frame....LEXUS issued a service bulletin to the dealers in 09, but owners were never notified by lexus
so i could bring my car in under that service bulletin and have it repaierd at no cost?
Old 03-22-13, 12:18 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Service bulletin does not = recall. You would have to pay for the repair unless you had some sort of warranty left.
Old 03-22-13, 12:47 PM
chbow
Driver

Originally Posted by retired
As this problem seems to occur often, (just judging by the posts here on CL) I wonder if those who've had this issue have reported it to NHTSA. It seems pretty dangerous as many have reported the window falling while driving and perhaps a recall would evantually come out of it.

Quick Reply: power window motor