ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Speedo off i think

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 08:27 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Speedo off i think

I have searched and i don't know if im just using the search function wrong but i don't see how that is possible
but i did look before posting a new thread on this

my Speedo Is off i think
the reason i think its off is because
i have tried a few ways to see how fast going
i noticed that when i would reset the average speed on the digi read out
i could be showing 75 on the analog redout but the digi would set at 71mph

i know thats just average so then i look and checked the Speedo App i have on my phone
and it said the same thing if fluctuated between 70 and 71 MPH

so this is why i think my Speedometer is off
because 2 situations are telling me its off or making me think
has anyone els had this issue is there a way i can try and fix it myself ?
or do i have to go to the Dealer and have them reset it ?

i also have checked tire inflation is at 30 cold right where they should be tires are the Original size
and wheels are OEM 17 inch

thank you
Old 02-17-13, 10:55 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speedometers in the US are always in error on the side of caution (showing faster than actual.) If you think that this bugs you, try riding a motorcycle - my motorcycle by design is up to 10% off - showing 77ish when doing 70mph.

There's nothing you can do about it, unfortunately - other than knowing that it's that far off. Dealership probably won't recalibrate it, since it's within specifications.
Old 02-17-13, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Every Toyota/Lexus product I've owned (6) has a speedometer that reads 2MPH fast. If you set the cruise at 75 per the speedo, and reset the average, it will read 73. If you drive by one of those "your speed" things, it'll read 73. Portable GPS will read 73.

Set the cruise and reset the average speed, I bet its 2MPH slower than what is on the speedo. Make sure you set the cruise when you do this so your own inputs don't affect the average.

Within spec, just know that its 2MPH fast.
Old 02-17-13, 04:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Every Toyota/Lexus product I've owned (6) has a speedometer that reads 2MPH fast. If you set the cruise at 75 per the speedo, and reset the average, it will read 73. If you drive by one of those "your speed" things, it'll read 73. Portable GPS will read 73.

Set the cruise and reset the average speed, I bet its 2MPH slower than what is on the speedo. Make sure you set the cruise when you do this so your own inputs don't affect the average.

Within spec, just know that its 2MPH fast.
I concur. All of mine read, and have read 2 MPH fast.
Old 02-17-13, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My Jeep as an example has a speedo that is dead on, little bit of an adjustment realizing that 80 in a 65 in the Jeep really IS 80, vs 78 LOL
Old 02-17-13, 05:35 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Ok cool i just didn't know that this would be normal for this vehicle since all my other cars where always dead on atleast all my GM and Fords always seemed to be dead on never having an issue

so now i know its ok so cool thanks
Old 02-20-13, 11:30 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

proper OE size tires on the car?

If a different size was used your speedo will be off. But, even most laws allow for up to 4mph buffer zone (called error in calibration) to where you can't be ticketed for speeding i.e. 29 in a 25, they can't ticket you because it's plausible your speedo could just be off that much.
Old 02-20-13, 02:15 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

yup Proper original OE tire size checked that is one of the first things i checked

im not sure how other states do it i know that Ohio doens't care if your within 5 miles over the speed limit

i know Mi will screw with you no matter what
when i used to travel to mi weekly i got ticketed 3 tmes in 2 years for going 4 miles over the speed limit ones and 5 miles over another time yes thats right i said 4 and 5 over

now liveing in FL not sure how they would do that or what they would do with laws down here
Old 02-21-13, 02:08 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All speedometers read fast. Calibration error blah blah blah.

Except for the 1994 Volvo 940 I used to own. It was spot on exact.

Honda had to increase the warranty on several cars due to the speedometer reading too fast.

And that right there is the answer why car makers don't design and engineer speedometers to be precise and in fact read fast. Your warranty runs out sooner.

I wonder if new Volvo speedometers are precise. Probably not since Ford got involved.
Old 02-21-13, 04:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My Jeep's speedo is exact.

I doubt the warranty issue is the issue, 2MPH off is a very small difference, and you also don't know that the speedometer has the same effect on the odometer. Bear in mind that on the Lexus the average speed readout is exact even though the speedo is 2MPH fast.
Old 02-25-13, 10:58 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Confirm 2 mph to the fast side of things here as well (2010 ES350)

NOTE: Pay no mind to my avatar pic
Old 02-25-13, 08:23 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

stopped in at the dealer had an appointment to come in at 2:30 today so i got there on time and there tech was out i had left school to make it in time just after class if they had called me to say the tech that they wanted to check out my car wasn't in today i would have stayed at school to study for next exam
but they didn't so i got there
they asked me to come back wensday and as an apology the service manager assistant Manager is going to fill up my tank when i come in on Wensday he said come in close to E and he will put it on F for me

They told me they havn't had this issue with other cars come up before
and he completlty understands how i feel about it and if it is using up 1 mile every 10 miles i drive that means for every 1 miles i go i register 11 so ill loose 5000 miles over the 50000 mile warranty when i have only driven 45000 if that makes sence

i was driving in-front of one of those speed signs a few days ago and noticed it was telling me i was doing 42 when my guage was reading out 45 on the speedo
so it is 3mph off via that and also the Phone app and Garmin GPS i tested out and the Avg speed reedout so i kow its off and he said that it should not be off like that if it was 1mph thats understandable but 3 mph off nope
Old 02-25-13, 08:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean...I've had 6 Toyota Lexus products owned over 15 years, all of which were/are 2MPH off, and everybody else here has confirmed theirs is 2MPH off. Thats the way the speedometers are designed to be.

You also don't know that the mileage is affected. Like I said, the average speed is not affected, so it stands to reason the digital odometer is not either.

Your math is also faulty, in order to loose 5k miles in 50k miles your odometer would need to under-report by 10%, which it isn't doing. The speedometer is under-reporting by 2MPH, which is not 10% unless you only drive 20MPH everywhere. Bear in mind these readouts on a car are not precise instruments really.

By all means have the dealer look at it, but I'd bet you a tank of gas their response is its operating normally.
Old 02-25-13, 09:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

One of the GPS apps on the phone its called Speed Box the GPS signal gives you a option also for how long in distance you have gone
im getting mine by that also
every time i drive a Mile it's gone over by .1 of a mile so im getting my math for that there
should have mentioned it before

its the Speed Box app for the iphone

what i don't understand is how come every car i have ever owned before has been dead spot on except one that actually had a issue and now the lexus is not but seems like most is saying its right the way it should be ?

id rather be safe than sorry and get it looked at
Old 02-26-13, 07:18 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GPS is hardly what I'd call accurate for distance measurement. Most systems are designed to get within a few meters of your destination, and not precise given the amount of things that can effect the delay in satellite signal.

I think you're overreacting about the readout difference. Like SW10ES said, if it's reading 2mph over at 20mph then yes, it's a 10% difference. But reading 2mph at 80mph is only a 2.5% difference, which is negligible.

If you really want to see, find someone who has a car that you know shares none of the same parts as your car. Both reset your trip meters at the same time, drive the same distance, and compare readings.

Think of it this way; my experience in the mustang world reminds me of rear-end gearing. if you change the ring gear without changing the speedometer gear, your speedo was off and thus given it was a mechanical odometer before 99, your odometer would be as well.

Given that the average speed seems to correct itself for the 2mph, the odometer should also correct as well.

You also started off saying that you're registering 11 miles on the odo for every 1 mile you drive, which is impossible. That would be an increase of 1100%. For that to be correct, your speedo would have to read 110mph when you're doing 1mph.

Then you later stated every mile you drive it registers 1.1mi. You realize that 0.1 of a mile is 528 feet right? this would mean you're doing 22mph at 20, or 44 mph at 40, or 88 mph at 80, which is not the case. It's 2mph over the indicated speed throughout the entire band. Thus you have a law of averages, at lower speeds it's a higher percentage, higher speeds it's a lower percentage, so it balances out.

Quick Reply: Speedo off i think