ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Trans issue perhaps or just normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 10:06 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ES350 Trans issue perhaps or just normal ?

my 2007 ES350 when coasting to slow down from higher speeds like 50 or above once i get down to 40 or 38 mph i can feel it trying to brake itself for a quick second i also see the RPM jump but not much just a tad almost like its shifting gears for a moment is this normal ?

or should i head to the shop to have it looked at ?
Old 02-10-13, 10:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Probably just downshifting to a lower gear as you slow down. You could have it looked at, but sounds like nothing that needs action at thisw time.
Old 02-10-13, 10:18 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Ok cool thank you
i never felt it in any of my other cars but never had a Lexus before
did have a cadillac with a shiftable transmission and never had it do that before
ill just wait next time in for service whyll they have it ill ask them to check it out

oh i should also mention it doesn't replicate this every time so its not a constant thing more like 50/50 if it happens it does if it doesn't it doesn't
Old 02-10-13, 10:58 AM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does it too, especially when I'm on a particular stretch of road here in Houston. I will let the car coast from
55 to 20 mph, It feels like its applying the brakes and the tach needle jumps a bit, it will do this twice.
Old 02-10-13, 11:04 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The transmission operation was explained (as part of the sales pitch) with a chart or graph in a Lexus E350 online sales brochure that I saw a couple of years ago. I can no longer find it and I only saw it once. It included the use of downshifting and engine braking used at times (automatically by the ECM/PCM) on these cars that may be noticeable to the driver. You can also see it on the tach when it is occuring. It is variable and not consistant. It may be part of the "selftesting" done by the ECM/PCM to check the engine/transmission operation from time to time that was described with a previous car that I owned.
Old 02-10-13, 09:17 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you're going to drive yourself nuts if you continue to compare your ES to your previous cadillac.
Old 02-10-13, 10:25 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jcat_350
you're going to drive yourself nuts if you continue to compare your ES to your previous cadillac.
ok maybe so but im a new owner and i never had a car that felt like this was doing what it was doing
that it was supposed to do that
only times i have had issues like this is when it was trans problems i was just trying to find out if it was normal and or comon
Old 02-11-13, 04:03 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2007 had transmission problems early on (within 1,000 miles from new) and was replaced. No problems with replacement. My 2011, with 8700 miles, not a problem. Some 2007 models did have transmission issues early on.
Old 02-11-13, 05:12 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

would a early on model for 2007 be one that was built in May of 2007 ?
wouldn't that be a later model run of that year ?
if so then mine would not be one that would have eaerly model issues id think

ill just ask the dealer to check it out when im in for my next oil change
Old 02-11-13, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
would a early on model for 2007 be one that was built in May of 2007 ?
wouldn't that be a later model run of that year ?
if so then mine would not be one that would have eaerly model issues id think

ill just ask the dealer to check it out when im in for my next oil change
Your car would be a later build of the 2007 MY. My 2007 was built in April 2006 and was one of the first batch to become available,

I agree that comparing it to an older Caddy will just rive you nuts.
Old 06-12-17, 04:37 PM
design3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but this same thing has been happening to us.

We bought a 2010 with about 55k miles.

When coasting to a stop, it seems to feather the clutch a bit when downshifting, and I can see the tach jump up a bit when it happens. I can tell the clutch is being feathered because there is a slight braking effect when it happens.

Is this normal?
Old 06-12-17, 05:01 PM
Jmlee44
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by design3r
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but this same thing has been happening to us.

We bought a 2010 with about 55k miles.

When coasting to a stop, it seems to feather the clutch a bit when downshifting, and I can see the tach jump up a bit when it happens. I can tell the clutch is being feathered because there is a slight braking effect when it happens.

Is this normal?
My new to me 08 does this. It also decelerates a little harder than other automatic cars ive owned when I let off the gas....like it is holding onto whatever gear it was in. I also feel a bump as i slow down and the trans shifts down. Funny I just posted about this earlier today. From what I gather in my limited research, concensus seems like normal operation. It is an adaptive...learning...transmission. i had one in a ford and it never shifted consistently. This is NOT nearly as bad though...
Old 06-12-17, 05:14 PM
design3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jmlee44
My new to me 08 does this. It also decelerates a little harder than other automatic cars ive owned when I let off the gas....like it is holding onto whatever gear it was in. I also feel a bump as i slow down and the trans shifts down. Funny I just posted about this earlier today. From what I gather in my limited research, concensus seems like normal operation. It is an adaptive...learning...transmission. i had one in a ford and it never shifted consistently. This is NOT nearly as bad though...
OK, that's good to know that I'm not alone, and that it seems to be the general consensus that this is normal.

Anyone else agree or disagree, so that I can put this to bed?
Old 06-12-17, 06:25 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i was told at the dealer when i asked them about it at first they said something that didn't really make much in my mind
but i said ok will go with it.
they said that the computer would take time to learn how i drive and my driving habbits i don't know if that was true or not or if i just took time to learn how the car was to not notice it anymore.
but one of those two things will happen for you
either it will learn your driving habbits and will change how it does it or it wont learn you and you will just learn it and not notice that its happening anymore
Old 06-12-17, 06:32 PM
design3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i was told at the dealer when i asked them about it at first they said something that didn't really make much in my mind
but i said ok will go with it.
they said that the computer would take time to learn how i drive and my driving habbits i don't know if that was true or not or if i just took time to learn how the car was to not notice it anymore.
but one of those two things will happen for you
either it will learn your driving habbits and will change how it does it or it wont learn you and you will just learn it and not notice that its happening anymore
OK, thanks OP for the follow-up. I guess we'll see if the car adjusts to our driving style!

Quick Reply: ES350 Trans issue perhaps or just normal ?