ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES350 head gasket coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 12:52 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What has led you to believe that you've had a head gasket fail? Where is the coolant leak?
Replacing a head gasket is NOT the job for anyone (or shop) that is not familiar with the engine.
Old 02-11-13, 06:43 AM
KENTUCKYGA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Bad story woth a good ending. Lexus confirmed that I do have a leak coming from the head gasket. They were as surprised as I was, as no one at the dealer had ever experienced this before. The cost to repair $3,200. Ouch! I decided to contact Lexus... to make a long story short Lexus has decided to pay for the repair. The car is currently in the shop while I drive a loaner. This car never ran hot, tha fans worked, so that was not the cause. Both heads are being pulled and sent out for a cleaning and examination. We are all curious to what is found and I will let you know. The car has 84,000 miles, out of warranty... Would GM, Ford, Chrysler have done this? I don't think so, this has restored my faith in Lexus!
Old 02-11-13, 08:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KENTUCKYGA
Bad story woth a good ending. Lexus confirmed that I do have a leak coming from the head gasket. They were as surprised as I was, as no one at the dealer had ever experienced this before. The cost to repair $3,200. Ouch! I decided to contact Lexus... to make a long story short Lexus has decided to pay for the repair. The car is currently in the shop while I drive a loaner. This car never ran hot, tha fans worked, so that was not the cause. Both heads are being pulled and sent out for a cleaning and examination. We are all curious to what is found and I will let you know. The car has 84,000 miles, out of warranty... Would GM, Ford, Chrysler have done this? I don't think so, this has restored my faith in Lexus!
Having worked at a Ford dealer, I can speak to the fact that yes, they'd have done the same if it was truly an oddball issue not caused by neglect or misuse. I've seen it in multiple instances.

Glad it's a happy ending for you.
Old 02-12-13, 01:38 PM
KENTUCKYGA
Driver School Candidate

Default I will let you know

Originally Posted by twistedman
Very strange! Something is defiantly causing your engine to run hot, which in turn will cause your cylinder head to swell so much, that over a long period of time it will literally crush the head gasket, resulting in a leak!! I'm surprised to hear this happening to your 07.. Could be your thermostat not opening when it should?!?!? Or fans not kicking in...
Hopefully Lexus will be able to determine a cause, I will let you know
Old 04-01-13, 07:47 PM
MaureenC
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem.. I took my car in for an oil change and inspection. I was told I needed a we water pump. When they were removing a shield they found leaking coolant and said I need to replace the head gasket. I have aboutv102,000 miles and have had all thebrequiredvservive performed as needed. The service rep. Said they had nevervseen this before. Itvwill cost me $4000 to replace the head gasket and $735 for the water pup. The rep said its unusual amdninhave done all the services when needed. I called Lexus HQ today and am waiting to hear back. My husband bought a used 2007 ES350 last year because we were so impressed with mine. Now I am very concerned.
Old 04-02-13, 06:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it hard to believe, as stated in the other thread, that your car needs a water pump. Either the leak is coming from the water pump or from the head gasket. If your headgasket was failing, the car would be running like trash.

Do not go back to the dealer. Take the car to a reputable independent mechanic for a second opinion.
Old 04-02-13, 08:20 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Waterpumps not all that uncommon on 07 2gr-fe's

Originally Posted by jcat_350
I find it hard to believe, as stated in the other thread, that your car needs a water pump. Either the leak is coming from the water pump or from the head gasket. If your headgasket was failing, the car would be running like trash.

Do not go back to the dealer. Take the car to a reputable independent mechanic for a second opinion.
See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...waterpump.html

self explanatory.
Old 04-06-13, 07:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Glad your issue was resolved, this is another reason i service the cars at the dealer, it may cost more, but i feel like in the end, its always worth it.
Old 04-08-13, 07:57 AM
KENTUCKYGA
Driver School Candidate

Maureen... Sounds like you are being "over quoted". My quoted repair from the dealer was $3,200. I also decided to replace the water pump, since the engine comes out of the car to replace the head gasket I was only charged for the part, not labor. As I recall about $160.00. They replaced both head gaskets, sent the heads out to be cleaned and miced, gave me a loaner, repair took about 9 days. As mentioned Lexus covered the cost (not the water pump), but I had a lot fewer miles than ood Luck!
Old 05-13-13, 03:48 PM
duffer649
Driver School Candidate

I just found out today that I have head gasket leaks as well but my car is not running rough and there's no smoke in the exhaust!! Any thoughts??
Old 03-04-14, 01:55 AM
1LexusLvr
Driver School Candidate

Default Same exactl problem with 2008 - help!!

I have the EXACT same problem with a 2008 model - no problems and then BAM!

I would love to know who you spoke with and how you presented your case that made them willing to cover the cost of the repairs. I'm getting quotes from $1700-$2200 none of which I really want to pay out of pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

My 07 ES350 has a head gasket coolant leak. Car has 84,000 miles, very well maintained, coolant and oil levels never low, engine never over heated or repaired and only serviced. Car always garaged and never exposed to temps below 15 degrees. My Lexus dealer says the repair is $3,152 ! This is incredible, head gaskets should last for many, many more miles. Any thoughts as to cause or a less expensive solution?

UPDATE A very bad story with a good ending. I did take the car to Lexus, it does have 84,000 miles, it is out of warranty, and Lexus did quote $3,152. I went to Lexus headquarters USA (california), they said that they would get back to me in 3 days at the latest and they did. They decided to cover 100% of the repair, plus I han an almost new ES350 waiting for me as a loaner. So I guess there is a payback for having most of my service done at Lexus. I know not all of you agree but it sure paid off for me. Thank you Lexus. P>S> Of course this never should have happened in the first place!
Old 03-14-14, 06:57 AM
KENTUCKYGA
Driver School Candidate

Default es350 head gasket leak

All my service work was done by Lexus, the dealer was as surprised as I was that I had a head gasket leak, the quoted repair cost was $3,200. I asked the dealer for contact info for Lexus USA. They provided me with the info. I pleaded my case with Lexus USA, car was out of warranty, but just (84,000 miles). I was polite, but my message was clear... I would never buy another Lexus and that I expected performance at least as good as my Infinity which I sold at 192,000 miles, the only repair other than normal service was a water pump. They listened and said they would get back to me in no more than 2 days and they did. They offered me 50% of the repair cost and I guess they assumed that I would be satisfied... I was not, they asked what I expected and I said 100%, I was put on hold for several minutes, they contacted the dealer who was supportive and they agreed to 100%. The car continues to perform well and I am satisfied and yes I would and probably will buy another Lexus.
Old 03-15-14, 12:39 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

My 07 ES350 has a head gasket coolant leak. Car has 84,000 miles, very well maintained, coolant and oil levels never low, engine never over heated or repaired and only serviced. Car always garaged and never exposed to temps below 15 degrees. My Lexus dealer says the repair is $3,152 ! This is incredible, head gaskets should last for many, many more miles. Any thoughts as to cause or a less expensive solution?

UPDATE A very bad story with a good ending. I did take the car to Lexus, it does have 84,000 miles, it is out of warranty, and Lexus did quote $3,152. I went to Lexus headquarters USA (california), they said that they would get back to me in 3 days at the latest and they did. They decided to cover 100% of the repair, plus I han an almost new ES350 waiting for me as a loaner. So I guess there is a payback for having most of my service done at Lexus. I know not all of you agree but it sure paid off for me. Thank you Lexus. P>S> Of course this never should have happened in the first place!
So you don't pay anything? If that's the case, that's unbelievable!! Congrats!