brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 03:30 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default brakes

I have a few questions about Brakes

do we have brake wear or brake lining sensors ?
or any warnings to tell us when we need to change our brake pads

or are we back to just old school from like the 90s before sensors really started being put in cars' ?

also in way of performance brakes what do others use ?

do we have anyone els that uses EBC i like EBC red stuff pads and Black Dash slotted rotors
Old 02-03-13, 04:37 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, just change my brakes last week, i heard a loud noise coming from the wheel and i'm on the shim. A new record for me, change brakes at 123 900 km
Old 02-03-13, 05:04 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

wow i guess in one way im happy i don't need a sensor one less 30 dollar part that needs to be purchased
but
wow im also a bit shocked that a 44k car didn't come with pad wear sensors wow
Old 02-05-13, 08:29 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody should need a sensor to tell them their brake pads are low. If you can't tell by the pedal feel, or by checking them once in a while as you should be when checking tire pressure, or when you bring the car in for an oil change, that's a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with performance brakes for an ES. Go with good Ceramic pads and factory rotors (if necessary). There's zero need for drilled/slotted rotors or crazy pads on these cars.
Old 02-05-13, 09:29 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

even if i don't go with slotted rotors
i still go with EBC pads they are what i like and what i know i feel good with

pepole used to say why you put these pads on a cadillac to me i said because i know what i do with the car and i know the kind of breaking power i need

only thing i never liked about slotted rotors is they can't really be turned without a chance of issues atleast 80% of the time something goes wrong
so it would always be replace din this order
Pads.rotors - next time Pads alone next time pads and rotors
atleast with solid rotors they can be turned if they are still good
Old 02-21-13, 02:30 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

I just ordered Akebono pads and Centric rotors. Hopefully I'll get some time this Saturday to put them on. I put the same thing on my Honda Odyssey last summer. Good stuff, great price.

I can't wait to get rid of the vibration when braking at highway speeds. I wouldn't put OEM stuff on my car even if it was free.
Old 02-21-13, 03:06 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Simply by typing "ES350 Brakes" into google I got all this information on a rather simple question. Here's the results:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=es350...w=1024&bih=672

This will work with any simple question btw.
Old 02-21-13, 04:34 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate the fact that someone might start a new thread on old topics. Some of the members have updated advice that may not get fleshed out in the older stale topics.
Old 02-22-13, 08:51 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by overclock
I just ordered Akebono pads and Centric rotors. Hopefully I'll get some time this Saturday to put them on. I put the same thing on my Honda Odyssey last summer. Good stuff, great price.

I can't wait to get rid of the vibration when braking at highway speeds. I wouldn't put OEM stuff on my car even if it was free.
That may not be a result of only your brakes. How many miles on the car? When's the last time you've done tie rods and ball joints?

The vibration may be vague until you step on the brakes, but that doesn't mean it's not there when you're not on the brakes.
Old 02-22-13, 12:57 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

On my wife's 07 ES350, from the right angle I can see the amount of pad material left. If you can't see, remove the tires and look down from the top of the calipers. I think the recommended thickness for replacment is 5mm. The pads have some 5 clips each. So, if you start hearing scaping when you brake, it's time to change them out. I replaced rotor and pads with Raybestos Advance blah blah blah. The OEM rotors had plenty of material left; so, I will be be resurfacing them for re-use next time.
Old 02-25-13, 10:19 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_350
That may not be a result of only your brakes. How many miles on the car? When's the last time you've done tie rods and ball joints?

The vibration may be vague until you step on the brakes, but that doesn't mean it's not there when you're not on the brakes.
Only 70,000 miles on the car. The stealership wanted $126 to do a brake check. For $50 more I can just replace the brakes myself. It is definitely the brakes. It doesn't act up all the time only when I'm braking at highway speeds.

But I got to tell you, with all the problems the 2007 model has I'll probably never buy another Lexus again.
Old 02-25-13, 02:57 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the recommended width to change your pads is 2mm. 5mm is perfectly fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your 07 ES. Keep in mind though that most new generation vehicles, like the 07 ES, will always have flaws that will be fixed by the next year or so. I have an 08 ES and its just flawless for me. There was a brake squeal when going in reverse (theres an TSIB for that), but I bought my CPO car when it was out of the warranty. Just a couple of calls to the Lexus main office and I was able to get both my rear pads and rotors fixed for free (I just complained that since I bought my car as a CPO, I expected that everything that had a TSIB on it would be fixed. They concurred and called my local dealership!). Don't let a new generation vehicle deter you from a future Lexus purchase, because they really are built for a lifetime, if taken care of properly.

Last edited by jacobjohn; 02-25-13 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 03:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
Actually, the recommended width to change your pads are 2mm. 5mm is perfectly fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your 07 ES. Keep in mind though that most new generation vehicles, like the 07 ES, will always have flaws that will be fixed by the next year or so. I have an 08 ES and its just flawless for me. There was a brake squeal when going in reverse (theres an TSIB for that), but I bought my CPO car when it was out of the warranty. Just a couple of calls to the Lexus main office and I was able to get both my rear pads and rotors fixed for free (I just complained that since I bought my car as a CPO, I expected that everything that had a TSIB on it would be fixed. They concurred and called my local dealership!). Don't let a new generation vehicle deter you from a future Lexus purchase, because they really are built for a lifetime, if taken care of properly.
Good advice. I had an early build (4/06) '07 ES350 that was problem free for 4 years. Based on that experience, I bought a 2010 and could see some of the improvements/updates that had been made.

One of the moderators, Dreyfus, has a thread about doing a trans fluid change at 140,000 miles on his '07 ES.
Old 02-25-13, 07:34 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My ES350 has been mostly problem free since I took ownership in July of 2006 - 140,000 miles to date. I've replaced a coil pack, all the fluids, the rotors & brakes (once), the filters, a headlight bulb, wiper blades, tires, and the spark plugs. That's it.

When still under warranty I had a couple of recalls done, squeaks fixed, the front bumper painted, and replaced a side mirror that stopped working.

My steering wheel buttons look like crap but that's the only thing that currently bugs me.

At 140,000 miles I would call that a win with any car.
Old 02-25-13, 10:18 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Our 07 ES350 is about to hit 118K. The engine light came on a few days ago indicating a bad O2 sensor in Bank 2. Ordered it from Amazon yesterday. Today I received the registration and it's the first time California is asking for a smog test - what timing!

Also, while doing a close inspection of the radiator, I noticed some dried up coolant around the top of the radiator where the metal and plastic meet. Ordered a TYC radiator from Amazon along with that O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: brakes