ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Potentially Picking up a 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Its not so much that I think he got a bad deal, the car is worth what people will pay, they're not going to sell it to him for less than what they could sell it to someone else. I'm just continually astounded what people will pay for a CPO Lexus.
Old 02-01-13, 09:08 AM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, You forgot to consider there was a trade involved that they gave him $2,300 more for.....They overpaid for his trade. The old adage is pay retail and get retail for your trade.. or pay cost and get cost for your trade....it works out to be the same.
You can say he got wholesale for his trade and paid $34,700 for the Car.
Old 02-01-13, 01:57 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John U
...it works out to be the same...
Excellent point. There can be quite a few moving pieces to a car deal. Any particular transaction is almost always more complicated than a quick and dirty pricing analysis implies.
Old 02-01-13, 03:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I think people here aren't also realizing that we got over paid for the trade as well as an extra $2300 off. With taxes and the extended warranty total price was about $29k. It is also paid off so no interest rate needs to be paid.
Old 02-01-13, 03:29 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I was prepared for in buying my '11 back in 10/11. The dealer low balled my used car value by $5,000 and offered me the deal of $23,000 plus my car for the leftover 2011 (after the loyalty rebate and his discount". When I balked and stood up ready to leave, he came back with an offer of $18,500 plus my car (within 10 minutes of waiting). I accepted it because my alternative was to buy the same car / color 73 miles away at the $18,000 price difference.
Old 02-01-13, 06:00 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

When you trade in your car, each transaction should be handled separately. You should get the best price as per edmunds/NADA/kbb for each transaction.

The guy came to this forum and asked our opinion if this was a good price, we told him it was not, he still bought it and now trying to justify to himself and to others that he got a good deal. Perhaps he should have skipped asking questions altogether here, and simply tell us that he got a car.
If you dont want anyone's opinion here on a price, don't ask for it.
Old 02-01-13, 06:08 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Just did edmunds appraisal on ES350 2012 with 4000 miles that has everything except mark levinson and adaptive cruise. Dealer retail is 35.5K. Trade in 31.... This means Lexus dealership pocketed at least 6K on this deal. Not to mention that no one ever gets edmunds.com price, its always lower than what they show. NJ has 0 for regional adjustment, so nothing special in my area. Market dealer retail price of this car is 35K, stop making us believe it was excellent price you paid. Its OK, you paid 3K extra, live with it.

Potentially Picking up a 2012-es.jpg

Last edited by tolian21; 02-01-13 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 06:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So you came up with $35.5, which is $800 more then what I paid with the money that our dealership gave us, which is less then the number you got? Also not once in my original post did I ask about price, I asked about the car, maybe you should re-read the post. Also I don't see why you are avoiding the issue of the trade because in the end it all comes down to how much you end up paying for the car. I'm not justifying spending money on the car because I stated before, it's not my car. In the end it was around $29k after taxes and an extended warranty. Also look at the cars in my area (14051) the cars where I live are more expensive. I also called the three dealers in Cleveland so it's not like I didn't look around. The car is paid off and in the garage and in the end that's all that it comes down to. In your appraisal you also forgot minor things but ill drop the issue. Next time you overpay for something I'm sure to pester you as well. This forums are turning into the sc300 section where people freak about $1500
Old 02-01-13, 06:29 PM
tolian21
Advanced

I can't judge your trade-in car because I dont know its condition. So you are saying they gave you 2K more than what edmunds shows for your trade-in value?
Old 02-01-13, 06:52 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, as I had stated numerous times before. Nada said 7k edmunds had 7 as well and kbb said 8300. That plus 2300 in dealer credit
Old 02-01-13, 06:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just telling ya...you paid $1,000 more for a used car than I paid for the same car brand new. Thats a fact.

Maybe that was the best deal you could have gotten, and the market is just that strong for CPO Lexus vehicles...but I just find that incredible. Thats only $4.5k less than the MSRP sticker was when it was new.
Old 02-01-13, 07:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

4.5k after 5 months, it happens. I don't know where you live but cars here are always more expensive then around most of the country. And the amount paid was $29k. So unless you paid $30k for your car new I think your numbers are a bit off. I think people here are forgetting to take into account the $4300 extra that was given to us. 2k extra for the trade, and 2300 in credit which ends up being less than if the car were selling for $35k as others have suggested. But again I didn't start this thread to talk about price as it really wasn't a concern. I started it in regards to the car itself, but as I've noticed a trend here before, people don't really read, but since there is attention, can these cars run 16s? I have a set of wheels from a 1997 sc300 that are 16x6.5 and I was wondering if they will clear the brakes? These will be for snow tires running a tire size of 215/60/16. On a side note I did t realize people here worried so much about 1500 dollars. I hope the ES forums aren't turning into other forums where I have seen people neglect their cars to save a few dollars.
Old 02-01-13, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gray_es300
4.5k after 5 months, it happens.
But you could have gotten $4,500 off that car brand new, thats my point. I mean, there are still brand new leftover 2012s out there now I bet you could have paid LESS for than you paid for this car.

I don't know where you live but cars here are always more expensive then around most of the country.
I live in Metro Washington, DC, used luxury cars are more expensive here than in NY. I know because I was shopping for a CPO LS and they were cheaper there.

And the amount paid was $29k.
This is how the dealer wants you to think. You said they sold you the car for $37k, you can't back the trade out of it and say thats what the car cost you. The car cost $37k, then they paid you $X for buying your previous car. Separate transactions.

By your logic my 2010 ES cost me way less than $30k because I would have to factor in the car I traded on it.

I think people here are forgetting to take into account the $4300 extra that was given to us. 2k extra for the trade, and 2300 in credit which ends up being less than if the car were selling for $35k as others have suggested.
No, people here are looking at this the right way. You have two transactions:

1. The purchase
2. The trade

You need to keep them separate, and negotiate them separately, otherwise what happened to you happens where they have you thinking you're getting a great deal because of the trade price, when they will just turn around and do the same thing to the next guy.

When you say $2,300 in credit, what are you talking about?

They may have given you a higher price on your trade, but you got reamed on the purchase. I bet they didn't even pay the poor schmo who traded it for the 2013 $30k. They'll make plenty of money off your trade whatever they paid you too, so all in all its a good day to be them.

But again I didn't start this thread to talk about price as it really wasn't a concern.
Obviously it wasnt a concern LOL

I hope the ES forums aren't turning into other forums where I have seen people neglect their cars to save a few dollars.
LOL, being sure you get the best deal possible when you participate in a transaction is not "neglect", its good business. Its just a car, just a thing, to get emotional and spend more money on it than you need to is foolish.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-01-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 08:27 PM
tolian21
Advanced

supposedly he got 2K more on his trade-in than what the book says, assuming this a fair assessment. so basically if you move 2K extra from trade-in towards purchase of the car, he got both cars for their dealer retail price.
Usually people buy bellow retail price, because dealers never pay trade-in price.
What's that about being cheap? What kind of non-sense is that, are you worried about used-car salesman feeding his kids? Sorry he made you feel that way. Its not about being cheap, its about getting fair market price.
Old 02-01-13, 08:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So here are the numbers
Car: $37000
Discount :$2300
Trade: $10k (valued at 8)

So the car was 34.7k without the trade. After taxes the amount of money paid was around $29k with the taxes and platinum warranty and trade. Now looking at it as 2 different transactions how much more or less would the car be at most other dealerships? The closest car to this was in Cleveland with 20k miles and was a 2011 for $37k asking price. Lets say completely forget the trade, how much do you think the car would have cost at a dealership assuming the $2300 discount wasn't applied, the car would be selling for around $36k based on classic, metro, Akron canton, dorschell, and also northtown lexus. The 34.7k is in line if not below what the retail price of this car on all websites given the information.

Quick Reply: Potentially Picking up a 2012