ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Backup camera for 2009 ES350

Old 12-28-12, 02:42 PM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera for 2009 ES350

Hi,

I just purchased a certified pre-owned ES350 2009. I would like to know if anyone has gotten the backup mirror installed on their rear view mirror and how well it works.

I understand it is just 3-1/2" and costs $1000 at Lexus to get.

Does anyone know of any other options to handle blind spots in backing up that one can get aftermarket.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

I would also like to know if there is an instruction sheet for using this forum. I am finding it very difficult to navigate. It also shows that I am "invisible" so I don't even know if these posts are being seen other than by the administrator.

How does one join and find a forum?

Thank you for any help on these matters, in particular about the backup mirror and possible options for getting something like that installed in my car.

Any advice on this will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-12, 03:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by delraylady
Hi,

I just purchased a certified pre-owned ES350 2009. I would like to know if anyone has gotten the backup mirror installed on their rear view mirror and how well it works.

I understand it is just 3-1/2" and costs $1000 at Lexus to get.

Does anyone know of any other options to handle blind spots in backing up that one can get aftermarket.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

I would also like to know if there is an instruction sheet for using this forum. I am finding it very difficult to navigate. It also shows that I am "invisible" so I don't even know if these posts are being seen other than by the administrator.

How does one join and find a forum?

Thank you for any help on these matters, in particular about the backup mirror and possible options for getting something like that installed in my car.

Any advice on this will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!
delraylady, I don't know much about adding a backup camera to your car, but $1,000 seems steep.

You're not invisible (I don't know what that means on this forum) - I saw your post, and others will too. So your good to go in that department.
Old 12-28-12, 03:17 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

yes all your posts are being seen

to see a forum, go to the home page and find it and click

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/index.php

have you read all the FAQ info?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq.php

re being invisible "Use Invisible Mode : Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists. " it has no effect on postings just whether or not you are seen as being on line

I would suggest to use search for the info you want but I did that already several times...

Last edited by nevernu; 12-28-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 03:20 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the backup mirror equipped vehicles, and I would have trouble paying $500.00 for it. It's not a very vivid picture, and the size of the screen is just to small.
Old 12-28-12, 06:06 PM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks very much for your replies!

After doing some research, I have found some blind spot mirror attachments on Amazon for very cheap that people swear by and say it really gives them great visibility, which is my main purpose.

One is the **** 49702 stick on convex wedge and also the 49002, which is a bit smaller.

While I am definitely not averse to spending more money, if this is the best solution, even better than one that is several hundred dollars, I would probably give it a try.

Guess I will still shop around a bit and see what further information I come up with.

Again, thanks very much for your input. It is much appreciated.
delraylady is invisible Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 12-29-12, 07:31 AM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Smile Blind spot devices

Also found on Amazon the Hercules auxiliary wide angle side-view mirrors. Most people gave these excellent reviews so guess I will try that.

These are $25 apiece and seem like they would work every bit as well as the rear view camera for $1000 at Lexus.

Also found some panoramic rear view mirrors, but haven't found one with consistently great reviews. So will see how the wide angle side-view mirrors work.

Actually, I do think this should all be STANDARD equipment in all cars, not just Lexus, as would make visibility so much better for all.
Old 12-29-12, 11:37 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Im not sure how side mirrors will help "blind spots in backing" My ES problem is the very high rear end which basically creates a giant blind spot behind me. I cannot tell how far I am away from any obstruction/car behind me. My solution was this GPS/backup camera. I killed 2 birds w one stone (no gps and cant see in the rear)

For the side blind spots I always have my mirrors cranked a far out as possible.
Old 12-29-12, 12:26 PM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear View Camera - Backup camera

Hi,

Just curious what kind of GPS/backup camera did you get? Was it from Lexus?

I can also get a panoramic rear view mirror that supposedly is great for blind spots.

Thanks for letting me know which GPS/backup camera you got; cost, etc?

So you feel it solved your problem?
Old 12-29-12, 01:29 PM
nevernu
Instructor

if u click on the blue word this in my above posting it will take you to the thread where i have complete details
Old 12-30-12, 08:18 AM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Wink Blind spot mirrors

I just found THE best blind spot rear view mirror online. I won't post what it is until I receive it and use it. But I do believe this will solve the blind spot problem. I will receive it this week and will post the review on it. They are being sold on ebay for $39.99.

In addition, I also got the Hercules auxiliary wide-angle side view mirrors to attach to my side mirrors. These got almost unanimous excellent reviews on Amazon.

So between the two think they may do the trick of covering all blind spots.

Hope this information is helpful to someone.

I was going to get the rear view camera for $1000 at Lexus, however, after reading reviews people were saying that it was very small and kind of difficult to see.
Old 01-02-13, 07:57 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

The rear view mirror with built-in lcd displays are made by Gentex. They are the OEM supplier for many car manufacturers. The mirror costs about $350-400 on Amazon, but it is quiet a bit of work to install a reverse camera and then wire it up to the mirror. A GPS/camera retrofit might be the same cost.

Adding a wide angle rear view mirror on the top of of existing mirror will most likely lose the auto dimming feature, just be aware of that.
Old 01-02-13, 08:10 AM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear view mirror

Thanks!

D-u-h-h! But what is the auto dimming feature?

Wonder if having a full view of all blind spots makes up for that feature? I think the rear view mirror I am getting is glare free.
Old 01-02-13, 08:32 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Auto dimming means it will darken the mirror when a high beam shines from the car behind you. Normal cars have a manual lever under the mirror but Lexus has a sensor that triggers the darkening mechanism using electrical power. Also, you may have a built-in compass in the mirror that you will also lose - not sure if you care.

The thing that I am curious about, are you worried about side blind spots when driving forward, or the spot behind the car when you are in reverse? The camera only covers the second case and the wide mirror covers the first. There is a slight overlap between the two cases but they are not the same obviously.
Old 01-02-13, 08:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by delraylady
Thanks!

D-u-h-h! But what is the auto dimming feature?

Wonder if having a full view of all blind spots makes up for that feature? I think the rear view mirror I am getting is glare free.
The interior center rear view mirror has an auto dimming feature which reduces the glare from headlights behind the car. There is an on/off button on the mirror for the feature.

IMO it's really beneficial.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-02-13 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 09:09 AM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Default Mirrors for blind spots

I am worried about blind spot which is especially in the right rear as my old Lexus did not have such a thick blind spot there.

I have ordered two types of mirrors:

One is the rear view one (2013 version made by Hercules) so you can see in back ie in parking lots, making right turns, and just widens your view in general to remove ALL blind spots). Supposedly--I am very hopeful!

The other is a piece you clip onto your side mirror (you can get one for each side). It is made by Hercules and sold on Amazon and it has many great reviews how it removes blind spots, also there is a youtube that demonstrates that (Hercules blind spot auxiliary mirrors)

So both these mirrors are to remove ALL blind spots (hopefully)

I really don't know why they aren't standard equipment in all cars.

Originally, I was sorry I didn't know about the park assist function but after speaking with someone I found out that this is mainly for actual parking and might not even serve my purpose. Then this person told me about the rear view camera that I could get for $1000 but after researching found out that it is a very small portion of the rear view mirror and difficult to see, so started researching about blind spots and came up with the above solutions after many hours of checking around. I would have spent the $1000 if it was the right thing that I needed but according to this person, it would not have served the function I needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup camera for 2009 ES350