ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Value of Lexus 10ES350 for Trade Purposes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 03:09 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Value of Lexus 10ES350 for Trade Purposes

I have a 2010 Lexus ES350 with 36,000 miles on it. It doesn't have nav or levinson etc but does have the heat and cooled seats, moon roof, and a couple of other minimal options. Any idea what they are allowing on these for trade. I'd like to get a pretty firm outright on the new car I am interested in and then bring up the trade later. Any thoughts? The car is pretty clean inside and out. Definitly needs new tires soon. Any input appreciated. I looked at blackbook , kb etc and saw anywhere from $20-25K.

Thanks Dorothy
Old 12-28-12, 04:49 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

I think maybe closer to $20-21 IMO Dorothy.

What I have done in the past is go to Carmax and get a buy price from them before even going to the dealer. I was in the car business for years before retiring and knew several managers at various dealers thus there was no dickering involved. I was able to sit down and tell them what it would cost them to own my car and what I would give them for theirs. In the case of both of my current cars, I ended up selling them to Carmax. They were a couple of grand higher than either dealers! Used car managers are not rocket scientist. They look at your car for any see able damage and drive it for the same purpose. Then they go online to see what they are going for at the auctions. They pretty well try to offer you whatever will allow them to maximize their profits.

If it was me, I would go to the dealer armed with numbers I was willing to accept. I wouldn't play around hiding the trade. I would tell them I was considering buying a new car and would like an appraisal on what my car was worth before moving forward. Don't let them try and fool you into thinking you have to pick a new one out before they can appraise yours! Their whole point in this game is to slow you down and make you fall in love with something they have on their lot.

Good luck
Old 12-28-12, 05:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I recently traded in my 2010 ES350 with 25k miles. I took it to CarMax and they offered $27k for it. I ended up trading it in at the dealership where I bought the new car.

If you have one near you, the CarMax procedure is very easy and relatively quick.
Old 12-28-12, 01:03 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

So I had gone into Lexus 6 weeks ago and gotten a price on a new car out right because I thought my daughter and her husband were going to buy the car from me. I went in today and asked them about the vehicle I was going to buy again without mentioning a trade now. They told me with the December to Remember they could go $1,500 less if I pay cash or get my own loan or if I do a 5 yr at 1.9% the discount would be $2,000 lower.better than they quoted me. I need to close on it by 12/31/12.

Next I said my daughter basically couldn't afford my car and I may want to trade it. They took my car somewhere, They came back and showed me a sheet that said Blackbook ?? on my car was $19,000-$23,000. They said my car was in excellent condition at 36,700 miles. They told me $23,000 on the trade. I asked for more. The salesman came back with another guy. They explained to me that 3 tires were at 4/32, and 1 was at 5/32. The brakes are close to needing to be relined. They showed me some other minor things. I said nothing. After 30 second they said what do you think. I stood up and said I think the trade is worth more. They got quiet again. Finally the guy the salesman brought in said $23,500, that's all we will go. I think they are being fair. I've had the 2010 almost 3 years and paid $34,000 for so $10,500 for that amount of time seems reasonable. I just hate to be taken advantage of.

About 3 hours later the salesman called and asked me what I thought. I asked him if we could get a little more off on the car and/or the trade. He told me they were at the line and the sand and really wanted my business etc etc.

I will probably do it. I have no one really to give me advice and appreciate the support of this board.

Thanks Dorothy
Old 12-28-12, 02:30 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hold the line and see where they are at on the 31st, I'd say.
Old 12-29-12, 04:50 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying on New Year's Eve

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Hold the line and see where they are at on the 31st, I'd say.
I agree 100%.

I shopped a 2007 CPO from a Lexus dealer three years ago on the evening of the 31st. I thought their price for the 2007 was reasonable. After they assessed my 2003 ES, I walked out on them after their laughable initial offer for my car (I knew it was worth much more). By the time I had reached my car, with the salesman nipping at my heels, the offer was up $1,000.00. The Sales Manager called me 10 minutes down the road and raised the offer another $1,000.00. I made a u-turn and closed the deal.

If you're in the market for a new or newer car, and you're willing to walk out with everyone knowing they'll have to pay for the car to be on their lot the next day, you can make some great deals on the last day of the year. And, the later in the day, the better.
Old 12-29-12, 05:59 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Appreciate the replies. One of the first responders said $21K. The only issue I have with waiting is they had 3 in the color combination I wanted on Wednesday and 1 this morning when I drove over before they opened.

I will probably fold today and do the deal.

Thanks for assistance.

Dorothy
Old 12-29-12, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dotbowels
Appreciate the replies. One of the first responders said $21K. The only issue I have with waiting is they had 3 in the color combination I wanted on Wednesday and 1 this morning when I drove over before they opened.

I will probably fold today and do the deal.

Thanks for assistance.

Dorothy
You might want to hold on a bit and see if the dealer calls yo one more time. If you don't wait good luck with you pruchase.

Are you considering another ES or something else?
Old 12-29-12, 06:24 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You might want to hold on a bit and see if the dealer calls yo one more time. If you don't wait good luck with you pruchase.

Are you considering another ES or something else?
Getting a pretty loaded RX. Like I said in and earlier post, they had 3 of the color I wanted on their lot a few days ago. Unless they are hiding them, there is only 1 now.

That is why I am thinking of pulling the trigger and trading in a couple of hours.

Thanks Dorothy
Old 12-29-12, 04:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dotbowels
So I had gone into Lexus 6 weeks ago and gotten a price on a new car out right because I thought my daughter and her husband were going to buy the car from me. I went in today and asked them about the vehicle I was going to buy again without mentioning a trade now. They told me with the December to Remember they could go $1,500 less if I pay cash or get my own loan or if I do a 5 yr at 1.9% the discount would be $2,000 lower.better than they quoted me. I need to close on it by 12/31/12.

Next I said my daughter basically couldn't afford my car and I may want to trade it. They took my car somewhere, They came back and showed me a sheet that said Blackbook ?? on my car was $19,000-$23,000. They said my car was in excellent condition at 36,700 miles. They told me $23,000 on the trade. I asked for more. The salesman came back with another guy. They explained to me that 3 tires were at 4/32, and 1 was at 5/32. The brakes are close to needing to be relined. They showed me some other minor things. I said nothing. After 30 second they said what do you think. I stood up and said I think the trade is worth more. They got quiet again. Finally the guy the salesman brought in said $23,500, that's all we will go. I think they are being fair. I've had the 2010 almost 3 years and paid $34,000 for so $10,500 for that amount of time seems reasonable. I just hate to be taken advantage of.

About 3 hours later the salesman called and asked me what I thought. I asked him if we could get a little more off on the car and/or the trade. He told me they were at the line and the sand and really wanted my business etc etc.

I will probably do it. I have no one really to give me advice and appreciate the support of this board.

Thanks Dorothy
$23K,+$1500 loyalty incentive,first months's payment by Lexus and the sales tax savings with a $23K trade in adds up to be good numbers on the purchase of an RX.Get a good discount on the RX too.
Old 12-29-12, 05:29 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$23K,+$1500 loyalty incentive,first months's payment by Lexus and the sales tax savings with a $23K trade in adds up to be good numbers on the purchase of an RX.Get a good discount on the RX too.
Thanks I ended up getting $23,500 and did the deal