ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission change

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 12:02 PM
tractng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission change

Looking to change fluid on wife's ES350 2007. It is at 97k miles.

I am looking to just drop the oil and refill (no need to flush like some). If I use the drain, will I be able to drain about 12 quarts? I will refilling using the fill hole .

I read this link but the guy is flushing.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-transmission/

Before heading out to get the WS ATF (00289 ATFWS) oil, can somebody confirm I need about 4 quarts for just drain and refill and not 12 quarts.

TIA,
tntrac

Last edited by tractng; 10-27-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 12:23 PM
chefchoy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand, doing that for you will accomplish nothing. You should flush, but that is correct, about 8 quarts should remain in the tranny.
Old 10-27-12, 02:08 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

how much dealership charges for it, or they won't even do it?
Old 10-27-12, 07:14 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealership in Raleigh won't do any transmission fluid changeout unless other service requires it. They simply refuse.
Old 10-27-12, 08:51 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
My dealership in Raleigh won't do any transmission fluid changeout unless other service requires it. They simply refuse.
These life time fluids supposed to last 200K+? I will be surprised if it does.
Old 10-29-12, 11:59 AM
tractng
Driver School Candidate

I had Longo Lexus told me that it is not required (it is sealed). They are the biggest dealership in SoCal .

Also, a certified lexus told me the same thing. Guess I will just drain 4 quarts and fill it.

I always done this way with my other cars, never a flush. I am buying the oil from a toyota dealership. I am guessing they should carry the washers (like the camry v6)?
Old 10-29-12, 03:14 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can someone post where the drain and fill bolts are? I do have an idea but just want to make sure.
TIA
Old 11-03-12, 12:01 PM
tractng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cl206
can someone post where the drain and fill bolts are? I do have an idea but just want to make sure.
TIA

I will take pictures when I work on it. Probably sunday. My first time with this car though.
Old 11-03-12, 05:31 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NEVER flush the system using a machine. It has the propensity to knock stuff loose that wouldn't otherwise and just cause more problems.

A flush in the sense of draining the fluid, dropping the pan (and cleaning it), shifting the car to open the valve body sections and drop further fluid out, then refilling is fine, albeit probably excessive for most cars built after 2000.

I personally would drain and fill, drive it for 500 miles and do it again. No matter what the dealership tells you, there's no such thing as a 'lifetime fluid'. Lubricants by their very nature break down over time. Driving habits and temp changes can increase or decrease the serviceable life of the fluid. I personally would never leave any fluid unchanged forever in a car.
Old 11-05-12, 06:44 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tractng
I will take pictures when I work on it. Probably sunday. My first time with this car though.
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by jcat_350
NEVER flush the system using a machine. It has the propensity to knock stuff loose that wouldn't otherwise and just cause more problems.

A flush in the sense of draining the fluid, dropping the pan (and cleaning it), shifting the car to open the valve body sections and drop further fluid out, then refilling is fine, albeit probably excessive for most cars built after 2000.

I personally would drain and fill, drive it for 500 miles and do it again. No matter what the dealership tells you, there's no such thing as a 'lifetime fluid'. Lubricants by their very nature break down over time. Driving habits and temp changes can increase or decrease the serviceable life of the fluid. I personally would never leave any fluid unchanged forever in a car.
I agree! Especially if you own the car and plan on having it for quite a while. If you're leasing for 5 years, I guess it might not matter...
Old 11-05-12, 02:21 PM
tractng
Driver School Candidate

I didn't have pictures as promised (camera phone doesn't work). You can check this guy's work for pictures:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-camry-v6.html

First, turn the steering wheel to the left. Jack the car up on both sides. There are two 10 mm bolts that hold the cover over the filler hole on the left side. The filler hole is 15/16" (you can't miss it).

Next step is important , almost forget the oil filler tube!!!!

I did not remove the pan. Just removed the overflow drain and an oil filler tube (red color) inside the hole once the overflow drain is removed. It also uses the same 6 mm hexagon wrench. Crawl under the engine bay and you should see a plug with a 6mm hexagon slot.

A little over two quarts came out with this procedure.

To be honest, I didn't test for the overflow with the car idle. I based on what comes out and poured the same amount in (a little more). I had a pump that I used to change oil for my jet ski., so I used that to pump from the container and determined the amount.

I ended up rounding the 6 mm hexagon overflow plug. I had to use a plier to tighten it since its Sunday (couldn't get the part). I plan on getting the replacement bolt and redo it again.

Please do yourself a favor and change the transmission oil. Wife's car is at 98K miles and that dam this is so dark.

Procedure is less than one hour.

filler tube : 15 in. lb
overflow: 30 ft lb
refill plug 36 ft lb

Last edited by tractng; 11-05-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-07-12, 09:59 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tractng
I didn't have pictures as promised (camera phone doesn't work). You can check this guy's work for pictures:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-camry-v6.html

First, turn the steering wheel to the left. Jack the car up on both sides. There are two 10 mm bolts that hold the cover over the filler hole on the left side. The filler hole is 15/16" (you can't miss it).

Next step is important , almost forget the oil filler tube!!!!

I did not remove the pan. Just removed the overflow drain and an oil filler tube (red color) inside the hole once the overflow drain is removed. It also uses the same 6 mm hexagon wrench. Crawl under the engine bay and you should see a plug with a 6mm hexagon slot.

A little over two quarts came out with this procedure.

To be honest, I didn't test for the overflow with the car idle. I based on what comes out and poured the same amount in (a little more). I had a pump that I used to change oil for my jet ski., so I used that to pump from the container and determined the amount.

I ended up rounding the 6 mm hexagon overflow plug. I had to use a plier to tighten it since its Sunday (couldn't get the part). I plan on getting the replacement bolt and redo it again.

Please do yourself a favor and change the transmission oil. Wife's car is at 98K miles and that dam this is so dark.

Procedure is less than one hour.

filler tube : 15 in. lb
overflow: 30 ft lb
refill plug 36 ft lb
I only have 3X,XXX miles on my 2007 so I might just wait some more but will definitely get to it. Thanks!