ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 04:37 AM
reras
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytime running lights

just ordered replacement LED's for daytime running lights (2010 ES)....anyone have installation instructions?
Old 10-01-12, 06:19 AM
chefchoy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bulb did you order? From what I understand it's super easy. Just remove the plastic piece in the engine bay.
Old 10-01-12, 07:52 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

uh...not that simple. Physical installation of the bulb is super easy, but they won't work right under the DRL condition. The DRL, iirc, is done by running the hi-beams at a lower than normal voltage. You need a relay installed between the harness and the bulb to make it so it's constant high beam voltage for the bulbs to work properly.
Old 10-01-12, 08:57 AM
chefchoy
Rookie

interesting, how much is the relay, where can you get one? Would be interested to see the install. Should post pics!
Old 10-01-12, 08:59 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chefchoy
interesting, how much is the relay, where can you get one? Would be interested to see the install. Should post pics!
It's this:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...97704-1-3.html

But they're out of stock currently. Similar relays can be found elsewhere though.

Install is no different than changing the halogen bulb, except you place the relay harness between the body harness and the bulb, so it ends up like this:

Stock: Harness --> bulb

LED: Harness --> relay --> bulb

Last edited by jcat_350; 10-01-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 09:35 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once I replaced the stock headlight bulbs on my daughter's 2003 Mountainer with those fake HID type bulbs. Just plugged in and went. Two months later, the harness melted due to the bulbs. So, always use the relay (or pigtail) when changing the bulbs to higher output.
Old 10-01-12, 10:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
Once I replaced the stock headlight bulbs on my daughter's 2003 Mountainer with those fake HID type bulbs. Just plugged in and went. Two months later, the harness melted due to the bulbs. So, always use the relay (or pigtail) when changing the bulbs to higher output.
chances are, you just picked bulbs that had a higher draw (wattage) than the factory system. Fords are typically a 35w low beam/55w high beam. I'm willing to bet that the 'high output' bulbs you bought were 55w low and 85w high.
Old 10-01-12, 10:21 AM
chefchoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
It's this:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRL-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-9005-PLUG-N-PLAY-p6297704-1-3.html

But they're out of stock currently. Similar relays can be found elsewhere though.

Install is no different than changing the halogen bulb, except you place the relay harness between the body harness and the bulb, so it ends up like this:

Stock: Harness --> bulb

LED: Harness --> relay --> bulb

Bad link......
Old 10-01-12, 10:33 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chefchoy
Bad link......
Fixed, had an extra '.' that I took out of the text, but not the link itself.
Old 10-01-12, 01:37 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't remember but it was a slight mess to fix.
Old 10-01-12, 01:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't like the yellow tint of the DRLs?Have your dealer turn them off.I've talked to my service advisor and I've thought of doing that but haven't as of yet..Some dealers may do it and some I would think won't.
You can add a LED bulb with the necessary modules but nothing beats the OEM LED strips many auto manufacturers have now.
Old 10-01-12, 01:47 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
Don't remember but it was a slight mess to fix.
50% increase in current without a 50% increase in wire gauge = melty melty
Old 10-01-12, 01:48 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Don't like the yellow tint of the DRLs?Have your dealer turn them off.I've talked to my service advisor and I've thought of doing that but haven't as of yet..Some dealers may do it and some I would think won't.
You can add a LED bulb with the necessary modules but nothing beats the OEM LED strips many auto manufacturers have now.
dunno if that's necessary, especially since if you DO want them on but just want them brighter/more noticeable it's a nice feature to have.

FWIW, that relay can also install with stock bulbs to make them hi-beam all the time. It's just that the LED bulbs require the relay or they won't turn on under the low current condition.
Old 10-01-12, 01:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

dunno if that's necessary, especially since if you DO want them on but just want them brighter/more noticeable it's a nice feature to have.

FWIW, that relay can also install with stock bulbs to make them hi-beam all the time. It's just that the LED bulbs require the relay or they won't turn on under the low current condition.
I wouldn't want the high beam on all the time but I do want the high beam when I want to use it.
I was just adding that if the yellow DRL was annoying,just have the dealer disable the feature.
If you read up on dim DRLs,some testing says DRLs really do nothing for safety.
Now the OEM bright LED strips may be help more safety wise.
Old 10-01-12, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

uh...not that simple. Physical installation of the bulb is super easy, but they won't work right under the DRL condition. The DRL, iirc, is done by running the hi-beams at a lower than normal voltage. You need a relay installed between the harness and the bulb to make it so it's constant high beam voltage for the bulbs to work properly.
Then also bear in mind that you will no longer have high beams...which is an important safety issue.

Totally not worth it. "More noticeable" DRLs are not worth lack of high beams. "Looking cool" is all well and good, but safety needs to come first.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I was just adding that if the yellow DRL was annoying,just have the dealer disable the feature.
On the 2010-2012 the dealer doesn't even have to do it, you can do it through the customizations menu on the nav screen....assuming you've got nav.

Quick Reply: daytime running lights