ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

interesting k and n oil filter

Old 09-28-12, 10:07 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default interesting k and n oil filter

I did get my oil changed yesterday at 2600 miles but it has been 7 months. I used a k and n oil filter from advance auto and they had a different plastic piece that is used to drain the oil from the filter before you unscrew it. On the oem, you can optionally attach a hose to that plastic piece and then pretty much push/jam it into the filter to start the draining from the filter. I have done this 3-4 times before and it can get messy. I always worry about breaking part of the plastic or whatever. With the k and n, you actually screw the plastic piece into the hole of the filter and it slowly drains out. I didn't have to use a hose and it wasn't as messy. I was pleasantly surprised.

BTW my old oil had the color of maple syrup (not the consistently of course) and not the usual dark and black. Makes me wonder if I could go to maybe 9 months or 5k whichever comes first. That is my 2 cents. The manual states 5k or 6 months whichever comes first....
Old 09-28-12, 10:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't forget, I'm pretty sure the manual is assuming full synthetic (if it were dyno, you know the dealers would tell you 3k miles).

These cars IIRC use a cartridge filter, which typically has a drain screw on the outside of the outer housing. On cars with traditional filters, I always just jammed a screwdriver through the middle of it about 3/4" above the bottom (side away from the engine) which not only opened a drain hole but can be used for leverage to get the filter off a little easier. The diesel guys do this too, mostly because their filters can contain a little over 2 qt of oil when you go to do the change.
Old 09-28-12, 11:09 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
don't forget, I'm pretty sure the manual is assuming full synthetic (if it were dyno, you know the dealers would tell you 3k miles).

These cars IIRC use a cartridge filter, which typically has a drain screw on the outside of the outer housing. On cars with traditional filters, I always just jammed a screwdriver through the middle of it about 3/4" above the bottom (side away from the engine) which not only opened a drain hole but can be used for leverage to get the filter off a little easier. The diesel guys do this too, mostly because their filters can contain a little over 2 qt of oil when you go to do the change.
Yes they are cartridge type so you won't be able to use that screwdriver technique. I actually bought the SST from toyota but I heard the assenmacher SST is also VERY good.

I am pretty sure the owner's manual assumes dino oil because it calls for dino oil. If the manual states synthetic should be used, (I would be floored) but I would immediately start using that. Also I cannot imagine changing ur synthetic oil every 5k or 6 months. Never really heard that (unless it is in the severe schedule?) Isn't that a bit too early? If someone can confirm that the manual does state synthetic every 5k miles or 6 months I would be glad to correct myself.

EDIT: FYI I just called a lexus dealership, and they confirmed it is 5w30 dino oil and they do it every 5k miles for the es350. It might be different for the other models.

Last edited by cl206; 09-28-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 11:38 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cl206
Yes they are cartridge type so you won't be able to use that screwdriver technique. I actually bought the SST from toyota but I heard the assenmacher SST is also VERY good.

I am pretty sure the owner's manual assumes dino oil because it calls for dino oil. If the manual states synthetic should be used, (I would be floored) but I would immediately start using that. Also I cannot imagine changing ur synthetic oil every 5k or 6 months. Never really heard that (unless it is in the severe schedule?) Isn't that a bit too early? If someone can confirm that the manual does state synthetic every 5k miles or 6 months I would be glad to correct myself.

EDIT: FYI I just called a lexus dealership, and they confirmed it is 5w30 dino oil and they do it every 5k miles for the es350. It might be different for the other models.
true...i'd imagine they'd recommend dino (shorter interval) to make their money off of more frequent oil changes and engine overhauls.

With only ~5qt on board, even with full synthetic I'd be checking it at 5k, 6k and 7k and wouldn't push it much past 7500. "Spirited" driving and stop-n-go would obviously shorten your interval significantly, as would the mileage driven (5k miles takes me slightly under 2 months). I'd start checking dino oil at 4k and wouldn't push it much past 5500-6k.
Old 09-28-12, 12:43 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Yes depending on how you drive, you might want to change it earlier. BTW it is not 5 qt on board, it is actually 6.4 qts with the filter.

The debate is still out there but unless the manual calls for it, I don't think using synthetic will prolong the life of an engine, assuming you change the oil on time regularly. Were you implying this when you mentioned engine overhauls? My understanding is that using synthetic oil will allow you to extend the oil change intervals. I have read a lot of threads on this and many of them mentioned that using synthetic when the manual doesn't call for it might be *gulp* a waste of money. But I am not here to tell you what to do or criticize

BTW just curious, what made you want to use synthetic in the es350 when the manual didn't require it?
Old 09-28-12, 01:15 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Yes depending on how you drive, you might want to change it earlier. BTW it is not 5 qt on board, it is actually 6.4 qts with the filter.

The debate is still out there but unless the manual calls for it, I don't think using synthetic will prolong the life of an engine, assuming you change the oil on time regularly. Were you implying this when you mentioned engine overhauls? My understanding is that using synthetic oil will allow you to extend the oil change intervals. I have read a lot of threads on this and many of them mentioned that using synthetic when the manual doesn't call for it might be *gulp* a waste of money. But I am not here to tell you what to do or criticize

BTW just curious, what made you want to use synthetic in the es350 when the manual didn't require it?
havent done an oil change in her yet, just picked her up monday night. I use synthetic mainly as you said to extend intervals, due to lack of time to do it myself like i used to be able to all the time. The other reason is because synthetic oils tend to build up less sludge and deposit over time.

The differentiation comes from oils being 'synthetic blend' 'synthetic' or 'full/true synthetic'. Oils labeled as 'synthetic' actually contain a crude oil base. 'full synthetic' or 'true synthetic' oils are 100% comprised of synthetic compounds. Full synthetic oils do not precipitate the quantity of deposits nor the rate that dino oils do. These deposits are what cause engine failures. Think of this: Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Dino oils break down after a while to a similar consistency. I'd rather not have that in my engine if I can avoid it. I use synthetic in just about everything..except the fusion which I really didn't care much about.

As for it being a waste if the manual doesn't call for it, meh. I'll make up the difference in roughly 2 oil changes to your 3 with dino oil.
Old 09-28-12, 01:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

At a minimum I follow the mfgrs recommendation for mileage or time. Sometimes if we haven't driven the car much I'll take it in at around 6 months. If we've been on a trip and put on some miles I'll do it at around 5k miles.

I use dino now but will switch to synthetic on my next car which will probably recommend it.
Old 09-28-12, 01:37 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Yep, good points! I respect your decision to use synthetic. I will stick with dino and change the oil regularly.
Old 09-28-12, 05:04 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

"Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Dino oils break down after a while to a similar consistency".........This is simply NOT true, period. In the early days of multi-viscosity oils way back in the '60's oil "thickening" was seen under some severe operating conditions, like trailer towing for example, it is NOT a concern with any of the oils available and specified for the ES350. I've been driving since '64 and have owned and maintained cars from every decade from the 1950's to the present decade and have never encountered the aformentioned large change of viscosity. Lexus in the last couple of years (2010 and subsequent) is now specifying and/or recommending synthetic oils for some Lexus models (with extended oil change intervals) in Tech Tip L-TT-0001-10, dated Sept. 2011, but the extended oil change intervals are not applicable to the 2007-2012 ES350 cars. If you are still under warranty.......act accordingly.
Old 09-29-12, 08:45 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldgrump
"Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Dino oils break down after a while to a similar consistency".........This is simply NOT true, period. In the early days of multi-viscosity oils way back in the '60's oil "thickening" was seen under some severe operating conditions, like trailer towing for example, it is NOT a concern with any of the oils available and specified for the ES350. I've been driving since '64 and have owned and maintained cars from every decade from the 1950's to the present decade and have never encountered the aformentioned large change of viscosity. Lexus in the last couple of years (2010 and subsequent) is now specifying and/or recommending synthetic oils for some Lexus models (with extended oil change intervals) in Tech Tip L-TT-0001-10, dated Sept. 2011, but the extended oil change intervals are not applicable to the 2007-2012 ES350 cars. If you are still under warranty.......act accordingly.
Really? Oil doesn't sludge up and get disgusting after long intervals of hard use? I respect your years of experience, but maybe your perception of lubricative oils and their life cycle is a bit off. The picture I'm about to post, granted, is an extreme example and if the OP changes his oil as religiously as he says, he won't have a problem. However, over the course of ~100k miles with people regularly pushing their oil change intervals (ever worked in a dealership shop? I have...some of the things you see are horrifying) due to being too busy to get oil changes done, the possibility of sludge building up like that is very real. Keep in mind, this is on a late model BMW X5 which by the way, BMW recommends one oil change per year only if the car tells you to.

Old 09-29-12, 04:29 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
Really? Oil doesn't sludge up and get disgusting after long intervals of hard use? I respect your years of experience, but maybe your perception of lubricative oils and their life cycle is a bit off. The picture I'm about to post, granted, is an extreme example and if the OP changes his oil as religiously as he says, he won't have a problem. However, over the course of ~100k miles with people regularly pushing their oil change intervals (ever worked in a dealership shop? I have...some of the things you see are horrifying) due to being too busy to get oil changes done, the possibility of sludge building up like that is very real. Keep in mind, this is on a late model BMW X5 which by the way, BMW recommends one oil change per year only if the car tells you to.

That is just nasty. People who neglect their cars like that should be locked up!
Old 09-30-12, 04:43 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Funny that sludge is an X5

That is just nasty. People who neglect their cars like that should be locked up!

My son & his wife have gone through 2bmw's & a mercedes and none compare to Lexus. When I told him he was nuts for going soooooo long between BMW oil changes.... he said "DAD ...... we watched the video and it said to only change the oil every 15,000 miles and it won't do you any good to change it more often." [He admitted it didn't save him anything since he had to drive accross town to the BMW dealer to add "free" synthetic oil between changes.] Shortly after the warranty expired on his 2006 X5 he had complete engine failure which BMW would not pay for.

Their current SUV is a 2011 Lexus RX Hybrid & his wife takes it in every 5K miles for service. [free loaner if they want it!]

Last edited by Paul3637; 09-30-12 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My next oil change will be with Amsoil 5w30 synthetic and done by me.One year changes.
Old 09-30-12, 06:18 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Paul3637
My son & his wife have gone through 2bmw's & a mercedes and none compare to Lexus. When I told him he was nuts for going soooooo long between BMW oil changes.... he said "DAD ...... we watched the video and it said to only change the oil every 15,000 miles and it won't do you any good to change it more often." [He admitted it didn't save him anything since he had to drive accross town to the BMW dealer to add "free" synthetic oil between changes.] Shortly after the warranty expired on his 2006 X5 he had complete engine failure which BMW would not pay for.

Their current SUV is a 2011 Lexus RX Hybrid & his wife takes it in every 5K miles for service. [free loaner if they want it!]
It's possible maybe it was 15k miles or 1 year whichever comes first. There is usually a time limit as well. Maybe they well exceeded the time limit each time and that contributed to the engine failure too.
Old 09-30-12, 07:14 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Depends on driving conditions. I drive mostly highway, so 10K miles on synthetic oil should be no problem which I put in 6 month. As soon as warranty is over, I am doing that. now I have to stick with 5K/6 month changes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: interesting k and n oil filter