ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

can we use any LED bulbs on our cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 11:16 PM
LEXUS951
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can we use any LED bulbs on our cars

Just got the car and want to change all the exterior bulbs to white led, but can we use any LED bulbs or can bus ones only? Cause the BMW I had can only use error free bulbs thanks in advance

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-27-12, 06:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Regular LEDs are fine if the right size.I have them in (dome,door panels,map,trunk) and out (parking lights,fogs,mirror puddles and reverse lights).I buy from VLEDS.com rather than Ebay.Quality stuff.
Old 09-27-12, 08:24 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can-bus LEDs are cheap insurance (usually 1-2 dollars more than regular) just in case. Even though these cars are not nearly as complex electrically as a BMW or Mercedes, it's worth the extra just to not have those annoying warning lights come on.

I usually buy from ijdmtoy. VLEDs prices are outrageous.
Old 09-27-12, 09:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
can-bus LEDs are cheap insurance (usually 1-2 dollars more than regular) just in case. Even though these cars are not nearly as complex electrically as a BMW or Mercedes, it's worth the extra just to not have those annoying warning lights come on.

I usually buy from ijdmtoy. VLEDs prices are outrageous.

VLEDS is pricey but I've used their bulbs in vehicles for 5-6 years and never had a problem.I have VLEDS bulbs in 3 vehicles now.Worth the extra cost to me..
ijdmtoy are probably good but I think Ebay LEDs are a gamble.
I don't believe Lexus vehicles have a bulb out warning lights.Can-bus isn't needed.
Old 09-27-12, 09:25 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
VLEDS is pricey but I've used their bulbs in vehicles for 5-6 years and never had a problem.I have VLEDS bulbs in 3 vehicles now.Worth the extra cost to me..
ijdmtoy are probably good but I think Ebay LEDs are a gamble.
I don't believe Lexus vehicles have a bulb out warning lights.Can-bus isn't needed.
I had iJDMtoy LED bulbs in my E500 for over a year without so much as a single flicker. I've used them and an ebay seller named warden_jp2002 (if he's even still around) for over 7 years with no problems. Personally, I can't justify the 100% premium VLEDS charges in comparison to iJDMtoy's products, especially since I've never had a problem. iJDMtoy isn't your typical ebay jockey, they're an actual company that has a warranty on their bulbs also.

It's kind of like HID kits...you can pay upwards of $150 for the likes of xenondepot, xenonking etc., or you can go through DDMtuning, spend $59 per set with error eliminators (not necessary but good to ensure clean voltage to the ballasts) and never have a problem through both 100°+ new england summer heat and 10° new england winter and everything in between.
Old 09-27-12, 10:03 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

the rear turn blinkers (and maybe the front) won't take the normal LEDS; they blink rapidly.
Old 09-27-12, 10:05 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nevernu
the rear turn blinkers (and maybe the front) won't take the normal LEDS; they blink rapidly.
does it throw a message on the dash? If so, a can-bus LED would probably work.
Old 09-27-12, 10:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nevernu
Correct.
You have to use 6 Ohm resistors.Cost around $6 a pair.I didn't bother changing the blinker bulbs.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-27-12 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 10:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

does it throw a message on the dash? If so, a can-bus LED would probably work.
I don't believe the ES has the bulb burnt or voltage issue warning dash lights.No problem with my installed LEDs.That's where the canbus LED bulbs benefit.The canbus led solves the problem of a error dash light due to lower LED wattage difference..

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-27-12 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-27-12, 02:05 PM
wpbmed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong

The ES DOES have a burnt bulb indicator light. The LED lights work anywhere without issues except the turn signals and daytime running lights. You can get resistors for the turn signals, and you can get modules to trick the DRL's to turn on all the time, but you loose high beam functions. I know from first hand experience, traded out all bulbs to LED on my car, and switched the fog and high beams to HID.
Old 09-27-12, 02:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wpbmed
The ES DOES have a burnt bulb indicator light. The LED lights work anywhere without issues except the turn signals and daytime running lights. You can get resistors for the turn signals, and you can get modules to trick the DRL's to turn on all the time, but you loose high beam functions. I know from first hand experience, traded out all bulbs to LED on my car, and switched the fog and high beams to HID.
Interesting.The much lower wattage of a LED doesn't trip a error dash light like in some German vehicles.I guess the bulb has to be out.
Old 09-27-12, 02:26 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Interesting.The much lower wattage of a LED doesn't trip a error dash light like in some German vehicles.I guess the bulb has to be out.
I think it's more about resistance than wattage. Voltage remains constant at 12v. Drawing less current won't trip a light (typically..e.g. 35w HID kit vs 55w/85w halogen bulb)..when a halogen/incandescent bulb burns out it's the resistance that changes kind of like a bad ground. I think that's how they do the bulb out warning, and chances are using a can-bus LED would fix that. Hell, if they didn't trip an indicator on my W211 E500 (electronic sensors for EVERYTHING) I'm sure they'd be ok in an ES.
Old 09-27-12, 02:37 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's more about resistance than wattage. Voltage remains constant at 12v. Drawing less current won't trip a light (typically..e.g. 35w HID kit vs 55w/85w halogen bulb)..when a halogen/incandescent bulb burns out it's the resistance that changes kind of like a bad ground. I think that's how they do the bulb out warning, and chances are using a can-bus LED would fix that. Hell, if they didn't trip an indicator on my W211 E500 (electronic sensors for EVERYTHING) I'm sure they'd be ok in an ES.
Maybe but I do believe I've read of German cars with non canbus LEDs tripping the error dash lights.Maybe on older German cars.
I never had any issue using a regular LED in my applications posted earlier.I guess using canbus LEDs can't hurt.I've never used them.
Old 09-27-12, 02:40 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Maybe but I do believe I've read of German cars with non canbus LEDs tripping the error dash lights.Maybe on older German cars.
I never had any issue using a regular LED in my applications posted earlier.I guess using canbus LEDs can't hurt.I've never used them.
non-can-bus LEDs definitely do trip warnings in most cars with 'self diagnostic' systems. These include MB, BMW, newer Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, and it appears the ES does too ('check completed' on startup). However, the can-bus LEDs I used for plate lights on my E500 did not trip the light. An interesting condition i noticed was when I had one LED in and one regular lamp in, it tripped the light probably sensing the difference in resistance.
Old 09-27-12, 02:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

non-can-bus LEDs definitely do trip warnings in most cars with 'self diagnostic' systems. These include MB, BMW, newer Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, and it appears the ES does too ('check completed' on startup). However, the can-bus LEDs I used for plate lights on my E500 did not trip the light. An interesting condition i noticed was when I had one LED in and one regular lamp in, it tripped the light probably sensing the difference in resistance.

Good to know.
Tripped because the difference in resistance maybe makes it look like the bulb is burnt.

Quick Reply: can we use any LED bulbs on our cars