ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Minor Sidewall Gouge

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 03:04 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Sidewall Gouge

I recently went to pick up my 2008 ES350 from the garage that I use for most ongoing maintenance. When I arrived, the mechanic informed me that I had a serious problem with one of the wheels he had just rotated. He pointed out a very small gouge in the sidewall next to the rim of one of the tires that he had rotated to the rear of the car. This gouge is no more than 1 or 2 milimeters deep and maybe 3/8 inch wide. Whatever hit the tire had done so at about a 20 degree angle so that there was a very small flap of rubber over the gouge He told me that this was very dangerous and pointed out some small specs of white material inside the gouge. He said that this was the cord of the tire and that if I continued to drive the car, especially at highway speeds, I could have a blowout. Replacing this tire would require also replacing the one on the other side of the car at a cost of over $400 for the same quality (rated for 50M miles)

Interestingly, when I got home and examined the gouge again, I could see no white material. I began to wonder if my mechanic caused the gouge and after I drove home, the tiny visible specks of cord were sucked into the rubber. I decided to get a second opinion. I took the car to a high end garage that specializes in Lexus and other Japanese autos. The seasoned mechanic at that shop told me that the gouge was too small and shallow to be concerned about.

I am posting this to share this experience and maybe to get any additional input.
Old 09-15-12, 03:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

A pict of this gouge would really be helpful for us to give you any sort of advice. Also, IMHO, any gouge in a tire is a sign that structural damage has been done and a replacement would be in order. Your life's too important.

Lou
Old 09-15-12, 07:38 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree, any gouge in the side of a tire is serious and you should at least have the tire dismounted at a tire shop and checked for internal damage. It would not be the first time something like this has happened at a repair shop - I'm assuming that they also were prepared to sell you the two new tires they said you needed.

Dave Mac
Old 09-19-12, 04:20 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Default Taking Your Advice

While the gouge is too small to be able to tell anything with a picture, I have decided to take the tire in to a Bridgestone store and see what they have to say. If the damge is too small to worry about, I might accidentally get someone who will tell me the truth. Not too optimistic about that. From what the mechanic who found/caused the damage told me, if there is significant unraveling of cord, looking at the inside of the tire at this point might not show anything. But he's no tire expert, just a cover your *** expert. And no, he wasn't in the tire business.

Last edited by sf3r8z; 09-19-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-19-12, 07:51 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default swap with spare

[QUOTE=sf3r8z;7486467]I recently went to pick up my 2008 ES350 from the garage that I use for most ongoing maintenance. When I arrived, the mechanic informed me that I had a serious problem with one of the wheels he had just rotated. He pointed out a very small gouge in the sidewall next to the rim of one of the tires that he had rotated to the rear of the car. This gouge is no more than 1 or 2 milimeters deep and maybe 3/8 inch wide. Whatever hit the tire had done so at about a 20 degree angle so that there was a very small flap of rubber over the gouge He told me that this was very dangerous and pointed out some small specs of white material inside the gouge. He said that this was the cord of the tire and that if I continued to drive the car, especially at highway speeds, I could have a blowout. Replacing this tire would require also replacing the one on the other side of the car at a cost of over $400 for the same quality (rated for 50M miles)

I had the same problem with a tire on my Lx 470 (which only had 1,000 miles on it......Nail very close to the sidewall....I had the tire repaired and SWAPPED it out with the full size spare....You might be able to do this if your spare is the same type tire as the four currently on your car..........

Hope this helps.............
Old 09-19-12, 08:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That area of the tire is designed to take some damage without causing issues...

so long as there are no cords showing, continue driving as normal... it is questionable if what he saw was cords or not - definitely have an experienced tire person look at it...

what kind of tire, aside from just Bridgestone...
Old 09-20-12, 07:32 AM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? Why would you risk your family's safety for the cost of a tire?

Have it examined at a reputable tire center and follow their advice. I understand your skepticism, but your safety and the safety of those around you on the road isn't worth it IMO.

CQRT in AZ
Old 09-24-12, 11:07 AM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Is a Bridgestone Turanza el400. Went to a Bridgestone dealer and a Discount Tire store. Had to be sure. Both told me the same as you, Mitsuguy. As I suspected, the gouge is too shallow to be of concern. As I said in my original post, it is no more than 1 or 2 millimeters deep. The Bridgestone dealer said that the cord of the tire is deeper than that.
Old 09-24-12, 12:32 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sf3r8z
Is a Bridgestone Turanza el400. Went to a Bridgestone dealer and a Discount Tire store. Had to be sure. Both told me the same as you, Mitsuguy. As I suspected, the gouge is too shallow to be of concern. As I said in my original post, it is no more than 1 or 2 millimeters deep. The Bridgestone dealer said that the cord of the tire is deeper than that.
no worse than grandma burping the tires on a curb here and there. Drive with confidence but keep an eye
Old 09-24-12, 04:23 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe you can swap this tire for your full size spare (if equipped and new).
Old 09-25-12, 10:13 AM
glepera
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garsarno
Maybe you can swap this tire for your full size spare (if equipped and new).
you can even get a used tire and put that on.

Me personally I would go for the two tires put them in front and enjoy safe, grippy winter with new wheels.