Quest for a little more thump

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 05:08 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quest for a little more thump

Hey all:

Friend of mine and I decided to do some basic wiring last night for an amp/sub combo (Infinity Basslink) and ran 4 gauge power back to the trunk. Looking at this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-diagrams.html

This has a wiring diagram (I have non-nav installed) shows the connectors for the back of the amp. We had some difficulty, as it was getting late and I had a few questions:

I attempted to tap into the Gray "aux" wire on M30 position 12 for remote turn on, but that didn't kick the amp on. We moved forward and just jumpered the sub for a test (sub is not currently installed, we just did this for a test.) I'll have to get out there with a meter sometime and see why that didn't work for remote turn on; perhaps I have the wrong wire???

Also, what have you found to be the best way to tap the wires out of the amp? I don't necessarily want to do anything destructive, but I need to get the front speaker outs into the amp for best overall sound - I don't want to tap into the sub since it's limited at high volumes for bass. Per a previous poster somewhere here (and verified with the wiring diagram) the best ones to use are:

Front Tweeters:
Front Left + Pink
Front Left - Purple (Violet)
Front Right + Light Green
Front Right - Light Blue

Light blue appears to be a solid "blue" in the car; however when I tapped this combination two things happened:

1. No sound out of right to sub
2. when I tap on the door, the sub "thumps" like there's some feedback.

We were using a line converter to get RCAs to the sub, but I'm thinking of just using the native speaker outs into the speaker ins on the amp; that might clear up #2.

Any thoughts on the tapping of these wires in the connector harness so I'm not stripping things? The wires are pretty tight back here and I don't want to have a mess on my hands in the trunk.
Old 09-12-12, 05:08 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Oh - and I know 4ga is overkill for a basslink; I plan on upgrading to a 12" at some point with a better amp; this is just to get me by for a bit until I save some $$ for another amplifier and sub.
Old 09-12-12, 07:52 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Well; forget my initial issues - talked with my friend and he stated that we were hearing the thumps because the rca line converter wasn't fully seated on the left channel; and it's possible the right channel wasn't working because the wires may not have been solid (we just crammed them into the back on the connector to test.) I still need to find a good "aux turn on" and might have to poke to see if I have the correct "gray" wire. From the diagram, it states that it should have power in aux and run modes, but we didn't find that to be the case last night.

I'll test more this weekend and let everyone know how it goes/sounds!
Old 09-12-12, 07:47 PM
RTSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issues as you, could be either that you do not have a solid tap into the speaker wires (try the sub wires btw) or there is not enough signal strength from the speakers. I removed the cigarate lighter and used it's power and ground for a switch to the amp. See the attached (warning, crappy iPod touch photo).
Good luck, these cars can be difficult to add third party products to, some installers even Lexus refused to do any wiring taps for me, I had to do it myself (2011 w/ ML, I tapped the sub wires for signal).
Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails Quest for a little more thump-img_0029.jpg  
Old 09-15-12, 09:00 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

I have heard here that the sub output is non linear at least in the case of the non ml. How is it working out for you?
Old 09-15-12, 10:39 AM
RTSM
Driver

Yes, that could be the case as I had some problems with the sub signal constantly maintaining enough signal o power the LOC. By utilizing the power turn-on for both the LOC and the amp pretty much solved my issue (I have the ML).
Old 09-15-12, 02:46 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

gray wire near Blue wire in stock amplifier is aux power. successfully tapped wires out of amplifier plugs without cutting. Am disappointed with the infinity basslink once again, will need to buy a real amp and sub. Also - it seems that even out of the front channels the bass drops off after 40 on the volume. I may go whole hog sometime with a separate head unit. All in all I am fully wired at least for the next sub solution, and have some additional bass in the meantime!
Old 09-16-12, 12:26 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

My wife is bugging me to install her bass **** like yours. Our music collection goes back to poorly mastered CDs from the mid '80's that have no bass at all to modern rock that is bass heavy.

The variable bass depending on volume was the main reason I went with an aftermarket head unit. With a full 1,000 watts on tap and a custom built 12" Pink Star Industries sub, I have more bass than I need. I still wonder what a 15" would sound like in the car though.
Old 09-16-12, 01:54 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Yeah I was spoiled in my last car - had the entire setup (aftermarket amps, subs and head unit) and I was really not wanting to do that with this car. But I have my priorities, and the stock head unit doesn't align with what I want to do.