ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rotor problem again

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 05:56 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rotor problem again

Last month or so I had some steering wheel shake when highway braking.
Brought the ES in for service and dealer service cut all four rotors.I tried getting new front rotors and no way.Called Lexus and was told the cutting the rotors is the procedure in my case.
My dealer cut all four rotors to make sure the shake is repaired.The rears I would feel in the seat but they cut them anyway.
Wouldn't the rotors warp easier after cutting?I would think so.
Well,I have steering wheel shake when highway braking again.Not as bad as the first time but it's there.
Weds appt for the repair and freebie first oil change and rotation at 6 months,2800 miles on my ES.
I doubt a second cut will be done.I want new rotors!

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-08-12 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-08-12, 06:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Last month or so I had some steering wheel shake when highway braking.
Brought the ES in for service and dealer service cut all four rotors.I tried getting new front rotors and no way.Called Lexus and was told the cutting the rotors is the procedure in my case.
My dealer cut all four rotors to make sure the shake is repaired.The rears I would feel in the seat but they cut them anyway.
Wouldn't the rotors warp easier after cutting?I would think so.
Well,I have steering wheel shake when highway braking again.Not as bad as the first time but it's there.
Weds appt for the repair and freebie first oil change and rotation at 6 months,2800 miles on my ES.
I doubt a second cut will be done.I want new rotors!
Joe, good luck on your appointment next week. Stay on them and hopefully they'll put on new rotors.
Old 09-09-12, 05:23 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

OE rotors in today's car aren't very thick, which is one reason they warp more easily than rotors in years past. This also means they can't be cut much--maybe twice--maybe not. All done to save weight for better gas mileage you know, but at what cost to the customer? Years of aggravation? FWIW, Hondas have had the same types of brake vibrations since 2008--same reason too.

Yes, keep after them to install new rotors. If they choose to cut them again, for sure the next time you should get new ones.
Old 09-09-12, 07:15 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I got 2012 ES with 13,000 miles on it, brakes are fine, but of-course I drive mostly highway so I dont use brakes much.
You might be overheating your brakes by applying them for long period of time, try braking by applying brakes for shorter periods of time with more push, rather than applying them for long time with little push ... they overheat and warp.
Old 09-09-12, 07:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tolian21
I got 2012 ES with 13,000 miles on it, brakes are fine, but of-course I drive mostly highway so I dont use brakes much.
You might be overheating your brakes by applying them for long period of time, try braking by applying brakes for shorter periods of time with more push, rather than applying them for long time with little push ... they overheat and warp.
I appreciate your advice but I've been driving for over 40 years and many Lexus (including '10 ES350) and Toyota vehicles and never have had a rotor issue.
Something isn't right somewhere and I don't believe it's me.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-09-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 10:22 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you cut them the metal is now thin and heats up faster. I always wait until the brakes are grinding away and then replacement of the pads / rotors return the car back to perfect. The cost of cutting rotors / installation help to finance new ones (because once you are unhappy with the cut, you will pay again for the remove installation of the new rotors). Just my experience.
Old 09-10-12, 05:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garsarno
Once you cut them the metal is now thin and heats up faster. I always wait until the brakes are grinding away and then replacement of the pads / rotors return the car back to perfect. The cost of cutting rotors / installation help to finance new ones (because once you are unhappy with the cut, you will pay again for the remove installation of the new rotors). Just my experience.
I told my service advisor about the cutting may cause a faster warping problem but Lexus has a policy on this warranty issue.
I'm not going to get aggravated and argue for new rotors Weds.If they cut the fronts again,they'll warp again and sooner or later new rotors will be installed under warranty.
I only have the shaking when making a mid to say hard slowing down at highway speeds after a few slowdowns when the rotors heat up.Never had this problem with any other Lexus or Toyota I've owned..Around town fine.
The dealer is 1.5 miles from me and I get a loaner.
Old 09-10-12, 06:16 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny how manufacturers will go through these hoops (labor costs) just to save $$ on new parts. Had a new '07 Impala SS that went through 3 transmissions (original plus 2 replacements) in 85,000 miles under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. They replaced with rebuilt units that lasted about 20,000 miles each. It was a major tear down each time. Finally ditched the var with 85,000 miles on it and that transmission was acting up too.
Old 09-10-12, 06:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garsarno
Funny how manufacturers will go through these hoops (labor costs) just to save $$ on new parts. Had a new '07 Impala SS that went through 3 transmissions (original plus 2 replacements) in 85,000 miles under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. They replaced with rebuilt units that lasted about 20,000 miles each. It was a major tear down each time. Finally ditched the var with 85,000 miles on it and that transmission was acting up too.
G,I can almost see a manufacturer doing that trans thing but two rotors?
Lexus already paid the dealer for the warranty work once and will pay it again Weds.If the rotors are cut again and fail,that's 3 warranty payments to the dealer.Two warranty issues has to cost more than the cost of two new rotors and installation.
I said the same thing to my service advisor you said.Cutting the rotor will only increase the chances of another problem.He sort of agreed but said the cutting is the policy and he cut all four rotors.
Old 09-10-12, 09:58 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All 4 rotors?????

Why are they cutting all 4 rotors. Front end shake in brakeing seems to me to be just the front rotors.
I have two ES350's (Both 2008) and have had to replace the front rotors on both. Since I bought these cars used, the rotors were warped by the original owners. I have a close friend who is a mechanic. He said that it was just a matter of chance. You can drive for 100,000 miles and never have a problem. Or, you can get the rotors hot by heavy braking and drive through a puddle of water and the rotors may warp.

I bought after market rotors and my buddy installed them. The first set have been on almost two years now with no problems. The second car's rotors have been on for 6 month, and again, no problems.
I suggest that you replace the rotors and pads with an after market set.
Here is what I used for both cars:

The parts are from www.carparts.com:

Parts Ordered
Brake Hardware Kit 2008 Lexus ES350
Centric Brake Hardware Kit ES350
Price: $ 7.67
Qty: 1.00
Part #: CE117.44083

Brake Disc and Pad Kit 2008 Lexus ES350
Powerstop Brake Disc and Pad Kit ES350
Price: $ 193.80
Part #: P15K186

Sub Total: $201.47
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $18.32
Handling: $4.40
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $224.19
Old 09-10-12, 11:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CompuMan
Why are they cutting all 4 rotors. Front end shake in brakeing seems to me to be just the front rotors.
I have two ES350's (Both 2008) and have had to replace the front rotors on both. Since I bought these cars used, the rotors were warped by the original owners. I have a close friend who is a mechanic. He said that it was just a matter of chance. You can drive for 100,000 miles and never have a problem. Or, you can get the rotors hot by heavy braking and drive through a puddle of water and the rotors may warp.

I bought after market rotors and my buddy installed them. The first set have been on almost two years now with no problems. The second car's rotors have been on for 6 month, and again, no problems.
I suggest that you replace the rotors and pads with an after market set.
Here is what I used for both cars:

The parts are from www.carparts.com:

Parts Ordered
Brake Hardware Kit 2008 Lexus ES350
Centric Brake Hardware Kit ES350
Price: $ 7.67
Part #: CE117.44083

Brake Disc and Pad Kit 2008 Lexus ES350
Powerstop Brake Disc and Pad Kit ES350
Price: $ 193.80
Part #: P15K186

Sub Total: $201.47
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $18.32
Handling: $4.40
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $224.19
Thanks for the info.
I wondered about the cutting of all 4 rotors too and was told they cut them all just in case there was a rear issue too.Service dept probably wanted a few more warranty $$$ from Lexus.
My ES isn't driven much.Weekends usually and I was told the rust on the rotor that develops from the ES sitting is then gone when braking can cause warping.I don't know if I believe that but it may make sense.
I don't care about the cutting if there's no steering wheel shake from warping.I don't keep a car long enough for the need for brakes.So cutting is fine if it removes the problem.
I'd go with your suggested parts if I ever need a brake job but that's doubtful for me doing pleasure driving 6K miles per.
Old 09-10-12, 03:40 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I wondered about the cutting of all 4 rotors too and was told they cut them all just in case there was a rear issue too.Service dept probably wanted a few more warranty $$$ from Lexus.
My ES isn't driven much.Weekends usually and I was told the rust on the rotor that develops from the ES sitting is then gone when braking can cause warping.I don't know if I believe that but it may make sense.
I don't care about the cutting if there's no steering wheel shake from warping.I don't keep a car long enough for the need for brakes.So cutting is fine if it removes the problem.
I'd go with your suggested parts if I ever need a brake job but that's doubtful for me doing pleasure driving 6K miles per.
Tell the service manager you want to see the "run out" of each of the rotors before they cut them and then you want the "run out" after they have been cut. I never cut rotors but check the run out. If they are out of spec then I replace them. If they are in spec I just install a new set of pads.
Old 09-12-12, 08:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Tell the service manager you want to see the "run out" of each of the rotors before they cut them and then you want the "run out" after they have been cut. I never cut rotors but check the run out. If they are out of spec then I replace them. If they are in spec I just install a new set of pads.
Just got the call and new rotors will be installed.
Old 09-12-12, 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Just got the call and new rotors will be installed.
Joe, good news! We'll need a report after you drive with the new rotors.
Old 09-12-12, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, good news! We'll need a report after you drive with the new rotors.
New rotors.
Part #43512-33140
Seems ok but I just drove home and didn't brake a bit hard on a highway..
I was was told by my service advisor he had another '12 ES with 600 miles with the same issue.

Quick Reply: Rotor problem again