ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
Old 01-07-15, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Question on Having XM/Sirius Radio Installed....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 06:56 AM
ashleymari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Having XM/Sirius Radio Installed....

I have the "button" for satellite radio but I have no antenna for it. I'm looking to get one installed so I can get the service to work. I fell in love with it when I had a loaner ES while getting a break job done.

I know it's around $15/month for the service, but does anyone know how much the installation is? (looking to get it done at the Lexus dealer)

My mom had one installed on her old ES330 a few months after they bought it, but her and my father don't remember how much they paid for it...or if they even had to pay at all (doesn't seem accurate to me)

I don't want to get ripped off if others were able to get it installed for free or at a low price.

Any feedback would be helpful/appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-24-12, 07:06 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleymari
I have the "button" for satellite radio but I have no antenna for it. I'm looking to get one installed so I can get the service to work. I fell in love with it when I had a loaner ES while getting a break job done.

I know it's around $15/month for the service, but does anyone know how much the installation is? (looking to get it done at the Lexus dealer)

My mom had one installed on her old ES330 a few months after they bought it, but her and my father don't remember how much they paid for it...or if they even had to pay at all (doesn't seem accurate to me)

I don't want to get ripped off if others were able to get it installed for free or at a low price.

Thank you in advance!
It's more than just the antenna you'll need I'm pretty sure. Probably a module or something to interface w/ the radio along with the antenna.

I wouldn't be surprised if the parts and labor cost $300-500.

My CPO ES350 came with the factory XM module/antenna installed but there isn't much to see since it is tucked away. The antenna is mounted on the forward edge of the truck lid close the glass.

The only time you might be able to get a deal with getting it installed is if you worked it into the deal of purchasing the car... at this point I wouldn't expect to get any special price, especially if going through the dealer.
Old 08-24-12, 07:19 AM
ashleymari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MadMax96
It's more than just the antenna you'll need I'm pretty sure. Probably a module or something to interface w/ the radio along with the antenna.

I wouldn't be surprised if the parts and labor cost $300-500.

My CPO ES350 came with the factory XM module/antenna installed but there isn't much to see since it is tucked away. The antenna is mounted on the forward edge of the truck lid close the glass.

The only time you might be able to get a deal with getting it installed is if you worked it into the deal of purchasing the car... at this point I wouldn't expect to get any special price, especially if going through the dealer.
Blah, not what I wanted to hear! Thank you for the feedback! I didn't realize it wasn't in the car until after I purchased it, otherwise I definitely would have had them throw that in. I was overwhelmed that entire day with everything going on I didn't even think to check that out.

I can't imagine that my parents paid $300-$500 for that though, but then again...when they got it installed it was 2005 and it was a little ugly black box on top of the trunk

^above the right tail light
Old 08-24-12, 08:36 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, you're SOL unless you want to spend about $350 ($250 +$100 installation) on the VAIS XM add-on package or some other after-market add-on kit. The factory XM add-on units have not been available for a couple of years, plus they were horribly expensive--like $600-800 PLUS installation. Lexus only made a few & they have all been sold.
Old 08-24-12, 09:22 AM
ashleymari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RickC5
Yep, you're SOL unless you want to spend about $350 ($250 +$100 installation) on the VAIS XM add-on package or some other after-market add-on kit. The factory XM add-on units have not been available for a couple of years, plus they were horribly expensive--like $600-800 PLUS installation. Lexus only made a few & they have all been sold.
Thanks for the feedback. I fear aftermarket products, so I guess I have some thinking to do, or I'll just live without it and rely on the iPod/Pandora/Spotify.
Old 08-24-12, 11:06 AM
SamDeb
Driver School Candidate

Default Sirius/XM

Thank you in advance!
I recently purchased as small sat radio from Best Buy. Sits to the right of sterring wheel and doesnt look aweful. Antenna installed on dash next to windshield. Lot's cheaper than $800 at lexus.
Old 08-26-12, 02:29 AM
Assassinus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I fear aftermarket products, so I guess I have some thinking to do, or I'll just live without it and rely on the iPod/Pandora/Spotify.
I just purchased my ES 350 also and I considered going the dealer route but bawked at the $600 fee the dealer was going to charge. Apparently, the dealer uses the Vais system, as advertised in the dealership. So I called Vais and asked for the names and phone numbers of the authorized sellers in my area. Turns out one of the authorized seller also sells and installs them for one of the local dealerships. I called the seller and they offered it to me with installation at the price they charged the dealer (250+100), so I was able to get it setup for 250 less than if I had gone to the dealership.
Old 08-26-12, 09:51 AM
glepera
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is how i did it. i went to best buy nad had them do the following. place the antenna inside car on left front corner of speaker. magnet sticks to it. then run antenna cable behind dash all the way to the cup holder in center panel. i put the siruis control unit there then ran one wire fron aux out on unit to aux in in glove boxe and another wire from power out on unit to aux power in center glove box. you lose a cup holder but now have a sirius unit that when you close the cup holder lid is invisible. and it was $ 175 all in with installation and i get great reception.
Old 08-27-12, 08:02 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Blah, not what I wanted to hear! Thank you for the feedback! I didn't realize it wasn't in the car until after I purchased it, otherwise I definitely would have had them throw that in. I was overwhelmed that entire day with everything going on I didn't even think to check that out.

I can't imagine that my parents paid $300-$500 for that though, but then again...when they got it installed it was 2005 and it was a little ugly black box on top of the trunk

^above the right tail light
Yeah - can't miss that. My box is probably half that size - maybe 1" square - and it was mounted in the middle which I would prefer.

Personally I would go with a solution that is pretty well integrated if you're sure you want XM. Anything that mounts to the dash, window, or in a cup holder just cheapens the look of the interior.

The VAIS systems seem to be the nicest out there... part of me wants it for iPod control since my year only has the headphone aux port - no USB. Just can't bring myself to spend the $$ even though I'd probably install myself. Cars are definitely a little more challenging to upgrade audio since hardly anything has a standard sized radio anymore.
Old 09-01-12, 11:11 AM
Kmotoring
Driver School Candidate

Default Question on Having XM/Sirius Radio

We have used several of the Vais Technology kits. Should not have any worries of aftermarket products of theirs. Here is another iPod , SAT integration kit you may want to check out.
Old 09-06-12, 08:24 AM
SiriusXM
Driver School Candidate

Thank you in advance!
Hi there-

If your car is SiriusXM equipped, then antenna should already be there, and all we need to do is activate the signal. Could you send us an email with your contact information to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we will reach out to see what you might need.

Thanks!
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
Old 09-07-12, 11:32 AM
glepera
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiriusXM
Hi there-

If your car is SiriusXM equipped, then antenna should already be there, and all we need to do is activate the signal. Could you send us an email with your contact information to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we will reach out to see what you might need.

Thanks!
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
that is only if you have a shark fin on top which this car DOES NOT! so Satellite ready only means that if you crack the front console install the interface which is hard to find nowadays and then run the antenna back and the power foreward will it work through the master radio console.

I was quoted 600 to do this but NY prices may not apply everywhere.

And I disagree that my set up looks cheap. all you see is one little 1 inch antenna box in the upper right hand corner of the dash, Having an eZ pass on the windshield is much uglier---I have one of those also.
Old 09-10-12, 06:17 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey SiriusXM Digital Care Team

Whats with the channels being given out free? I cancelled a few months ago. But over the weekend I started getting about 50 channels.
Old 09-11-12, 07:38 AM
majorae
Driver School Candidate

There is a 60 free channel promo going on right now to try and get cancelled subs to renew. It ends tonight at midnight so enjoy it while you can!
Old 09-12-12, 08:15 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by majorae
There is a 60 free channel promo going on right now to try and get cancelled subs to renew. It ends tonight at midnight so enjoy it while you can!
Oh man - missed it this time! I never know when the promo is going on since I rarely flip over to SAT.

It did, one time, work out perfectly.. road trip from Chicago to OK during the week of thanksgiving. Having the XM working was great when going in and out of different areas.